Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SI: Jay Bruce leads list of breakout players to watch in 2011

SI: Jay Bruce leads list of breakout players to watch in 2011

From Sports Illustrated:

He turns 24 in early April and will once again team with NL MVP Joey Votto to form a potent middle-of-the-order tandem and the core of what should once again be one of the best offenses in the National League.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1BhndMsww

I would love to see Redszoners projections for Jay Bruce in 2011. I've already gone on record as saying I think Bruce is a darkhorse candidate to win the NL MVP this season.

My projections:

.295/.380/.540 with 35 homers, 30+ doubles, and Gold Glove caliber defense again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: SI: Jay Bruce leads list of breakout players to watch in 2011

I think Jay will hit 40 homers and 40 doubles at least, he was only lacking confidence IMO

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    My projections:

.295/.380/.540 with 35 homers, 30+ doubles, and Gold Glove caliber defense again.
    I like those, although I'd take BA and OBP down 10-15 points each.

.280/.365/.540 with 35 dingers and GG defense. I'll take it!
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I think Jay will hit 40 homers and 40 doubles at least, he was only lacking confidence IMO
    He certainly has the ability. If he does that while Votto also has another MVP caliber season, look out!

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Just confidence?

FWIW 40 HR's and 40 2b's has only been accomplished 34 times in the history of the game.

No Red has ever had a 40/40 season, also considering that the GAB is not a big doubles park I'll be happy with 25 from Bruce.

I think his BB rate will improve slightly, and he'll see a big uptick in SLG.

.280/.360/.525 w/ 30 HR
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Makes me think of the Cyclone Rule. Jay nearly eclipsed that BB% of 10 last year, I bet he kills it this year.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...walk+threshold
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I just hope his consistency is improved this year.....no extended slumps will = 30/100.

His defense and demeanor alone are worth the contract.....he's the new mayor imho.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

With potential to be "the governor"

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I just hope his consistency is improved this year.....no extended slumps will = 30/100.

His defense and demeanor alone are worth the contract.....he's the new mayor imho.

I dunno...he's pretty unlucky.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

No Red has ever had a 40/40 season
    Frank Robinson came awfully close in 1962, with 51 doubles and 39 HRs.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

.287/.373/.527 - 33 HR's, 28 doubles, 90+ RBI
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    .287/.373/.527 - 33 HR's, 28 doubles, 90+ RBI
    If he pulls off that line off, he'll get more than 90 RBI. Think 110 RBI at least.

My prediction seems to be a bit pessimistic: 270/350/535. 30 homers or so. Solid season, but not MVP-like. Combine that with a slight Rolen decline (800-ish OPS) and a slight Votto decline (950-ish OPS) and, IMO, the middle of the order will struggle slightly. However, I fully expect the leadoff, number two hitters, and Gomes to do MUCH better (a 350-ish obp, 800 OPS, and 875 OPS respectively), improving where the middle of the order will not.

The keys to the season, IMO, are Stubbs and the catchers. If they can OPS around 800 between them (as they did last season), the offense will be okay. If they can't, the offense goes from excellent to merely average.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

will dusty be hitting him 2, 4, and 5 or is he going to be hitting 6th and 7th the majority of the time? If he's hitting 6th and 7th it will just be a gradual increase from last year's numbers at best or possibly a short decline. He needs to be hitting 2nd, 4th (best spot for him) or 5th. The days of Hanigan and Janish protecting him need to end.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    will dusty be hitting him 2, 4, and 5 or is he going to be hitting 6th and 7th the majority of the time? If he's hitting 6th and 7th it will just be a gradual increase from last year's numbers at best or possibly a short decline. He needs to be hitting 2nd, 4th (best spot for him) or 5th. The days of Hanigan and Janish protecting him need to end.
    The line-up should be Votto/Bruce 3/4. Why give the pitcher a break by separating them? The biggest issue is finding somebody to hit 5th. There really isn't a good candidate. If they could keep Rolen's shoulder relatively pain free by giving him lots of rest, he may be capable for 110 games spread out over the season. That would suggest a guy like Francisco on the other days with his playing time strategically chosen against RHP that he can handle. Its why I really hate the Cairo signing. Rolen and Francisco could combine to be that third member of the middle of the order if the PT was doled out wisely, but at this point, I don't see Francisco making the team.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?