Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SI: Jay Bruce leads list of breakout players to watch in 2011

Re: SI: Jay Bruce leads list of breakout players to watch in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If he pulls off that line off, he'll get more than 90 RBI. Think 110 RBI at least.

My prediction seems to be a bit pessimistic: 270/350/535. 30 homers or so. Solid season, but not MVP-like. Combine that with a slight Rolen decline (800-ish OPS) and a slight Votto decline (950-ish OPS) and, IMO, the middle of the order will struggle slightly. However, I fully expect the leadoff, number two hitters, and Gomes to do MUCH better (a 350-ish obp, 800 OPS, and 875 OPS respectively), improving where the middle of the order will not.

The keys to the season, IMO, are Stubbs and the catchers. If they can OPS around 800 between them (as they did last season), the offense will be okay. If they can't, the offense goes from excellent to merely average.
    I say 90+ because I am not sure where Bruce will actually hit in the order if he hits behind Rolen and Gomes I'm not so sure he will get much more than 90, not to mention I think teams will start to pitch around him in favor of Stubbs.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I would love to see Redszoners projections for Jay Bruce in 2011. I've already gone on record as saying I think Bruce is a darkhorse candidate to win the NL MVP this season.

My projections:

.295/.380/.540 with 35 homers, 30+ doubles, and Gold Glove caliber defense again.

he wouldn't win the MVP with those numbers, since Joey is going to be in the 400/575 area .

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    he wouldn't win the MVP with those numbers, since Joey is going to be in the 400/575 area .
    That would be fun. Votto and Bruce battling it out for MVP votes one of these next few seasons.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I think that Bruce will ultimately be a monster by the time he is Votto's age. Bruce is a guy who continues a stead, but slight incline from year to year. I think that he is a complete ball player and his eventual ceiling is Matt Holliday type power numbers with an average from .285 to .295 and a few more stolen bags each year.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I would like to see Votto/Bruce bat back to back against some of the tough RHP's. I can't see a manager walking Votto to get to Bruce....less opportunity for a DP than Rolen. Both Votto and the second place hitter would see better pitches. If the opponent brings in a LHP and takes his ace out of the game, that is a sort of win anyway. Besides, Bruce is starting to hit lefties and Votto has no problem with them.

Why do I get the feeling that Dusty Baker is going to make him earn his way out of the 6th area? Someone tell me that it won't be that way. Please?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

He'll bat fifth. Last season, he moved into the fifth spot as he got really hot in August and September. He'll start there this season. The real question is who will bat second v. LH (Phillips, Rolen, or Stubbs) and who will bat sixth v. RH (Stubbs or Phillips)?

He'll bat fifth. Last season, he moved into the fifth spot as he got really hot in August and September. He'll start there this season. The real question is who will bat second v. LH (Phillips, Rolen, or Stubbs) and who will bat sixth v. RH (Stubbs or Phillips)?
    Would personally love Phillips 6th protecting Bruce and give Drew a shot at 2nd with his bunting ability. Think of the speed at the top of the lineup the nights that Lewis is leadoff and stubbs second. That is havoc on opposing teams. Gives the 3/4 hitters more fastballs to hit or you allow the running game to take over. Pick your poison opposition. I'd bet my teeth that it doesn't go that way though. Phillips will bat 2nd. It's so Dusty (even though I am a Dusty supporter)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Would personally love Phillips 6th protecting Bruce and give Drew a shot at 2nd with his bunting ability. Think of the speed at the top of the lineup the nights that Lewis is leadoff and stubbs second. That is havoc on opposing teams. Gives the 3/4 hitters more fastballs to hit or you allow the running game to take over. Pick your poison opposition. I'd bet my teeth that it doesn't go that way though. Phillips will bat 2nd. It's so Dusty (even though I am a Dusty supporter)
    Stubbs' bunting ability? You lost me there, Dude.

I'm guessing it goes:
    v. RH
    Lewis LF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    Rolen 3B
    Bruce RF
    Stubbs CF
    Hernandez/ Hanigan C
    Renteria/ Janish SS

v. LH:
    Phillips 2B
    Stubbs CF
    Votto 1B
    Rolen 3B
    Gomes LF
    Bruce RF
    Hernandez/ Hanigan C
    Renteria/ Janish SS

There might be some movement during the season, depending on who's struggling/ mashing. (If Bruce breaks out, a la a 900 OPS, he'll move up to the cleanup spot, especially if Rolen struggles a bit, as many are predicting, for example.) And that lineup is within a couple runs of what you'd expect any manager to trot out there, IMO. Can't bag on Dusty for that, in other words. (Well, you could, but you'd be wrong in doing so. Won't keep many from doing just that, of course.)

Stubbs' bunting ability? You lost me there, Dude.

I'm guessing it goes:
    v. RH
    Lewis LF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    Rolen 3B
    Bruce RF
    Stubbs CF
    Hernandez/ Hanigan C
    Renteria/ Janish SS

v. LH:
    Phillips 2B
    Stubbs CF
    Votto 1B
    Rolen 3B
    Gomes LF
    Bruce RF
    Hernandez/ Hanigan C
    Renteria/ Janish SS

There might be some movement during the season, depending on who's struggling/ mashing. (If Bruce breaks out, a la a 900 OPS, he'll move up to the cleanup spot, especially if Rolen struggles a bit, as many are predicting, for example.) And that lineup is within a couple runs of what you'd expect any manager to trot out there, IMO. Can't bag on Dusty for that, in other words. (Well, you could, but you'd be wrong in doing so. Won't keep many from doing just that, of course.)
    those lineups are exactly what i expect Dusty to do, at least early on in the season.

Turn Off Ads?