Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vernon Wells Traded to Angels for Mike Napoli

Vernon Wells Traded to Angels for Mike Napoli

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Vernon Wells Traded to Angels for Mike Napoli

Well, the Angels found a way to spend some money after losing out on Crawford and Beltre.

Wow is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

What a crazy, out of the blue deal.

Apparently it's Wells and cash for Napoli and Juan Rivera. I'm guessing it's a rather large amount of cash.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I thought this was pretty funny.

Love how the Wells trade includes a Napoli physical, as if Jays would walk away. Doctor: "He has no legs." Jays: "Yeah, we're OK with that."

http://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown

Halos Heaven showing 1202 comments.

Now 1304.
    Last edited by blumj; 01-21-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: update 9:58
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Just sayin', but don't underestimate the possible impact the Jays ridding themselves of a 86 MM could have on the Reds franchise over the next 3 years.

Are the Angels on Angel Dust?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

If Votto were to bail for Canada, I would hate him forever*. I'm just going to come out and say it right now.

*Unless he wins a World Series on his way out. In which case hate would be a strong word. I don't think there's anyway we would allow him to walk if we win a World Series, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Just sayin', but don't underestimate the possible impact the Jays ridding themselves of a 86 MM could have on the Reds franchise over the next 3 years.
    Also my first thought.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Good point, I mentioned the Wells/Votto relationship in another thread and this only feeds more.

If Votto were to bail for Canada, I would hate him forever*. I'm just going to come out and say it right now.
    Come on. His dad died, leaving his mom alone with 3 (2?) young siblings. If he were to feel he needs to get back to support his family, most folks would find that commendable.

don't underestimate the possible impact the Jays ridding themselves of a 86 MM could have on the Reds franchise over the next 3 years.
    Definitely gives rise to legitimate speculation.

Wells' contract ends after 2014, which means there would be only one year in which the Jays would have had to deal with him and a Votto contract. Surely, if they want Votto then, and still had Wells, they could have worked something out.

If anything, this just shows that the Jays don't feel like they can compete with a big, long term, $20M+ contract on the books.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Wells' contract ends after 2014, which means there would be only one year in which the Jays would have had to deal with him and a Votto contract. Surely, if they want Votto then, and still had Wells, they could have worked something out.

If anything, this just shows that the Jays don't feel like they can compete with a big, long term, $20M+ contract on the books.
    How soon we forget negotiating windows for LTC vis a vis midseason trades.

Turn Off Ads?