Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vernon Wells Traded to Angels for Mike Napoli

Re: Vernon Wells Traded to Angels for Mike Napoli

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Wells' contract ends after 2014, which means there would be only one year in which the Jays would have had to deal with him and a Votto contract. Surely, if they want Votto then, and still had Wells, they could have worked something out.

If anything, this just shows that the Jays don't feel like they can compete with a big, long term, $20M+ contract on the books.
    Or maybe just not one with a guy who is a .800 - .850 opser.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Simple point is...it just became a heck of a lot feasable for the Jays to make a run at Votto should they choose.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Simple point is...it just became a heck of a lot feasable for the Jays to make a run at Votto should they choose.
    Wells would haev had only one more year left on his contract when Votto's was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Or maybe just not one with a guy who is a .800 - .850 opser.
    Precisely.

But it should be noted that when Wells signed his contract, he was probably a better candidate for a long term $20M+ a season contract than Votto will be when his current contract is up in 2014.

Again, the question is not whether a team like the Reds can afford a $20M+ a season player, but is Votto that player.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Precisely.

But it should be noted that when Wells signed his contract, he was probably a better candidate for a long term $20M+ a season contract than Votto will be when his current contract is up in 2014.

Again, the question is not whether a team like the Reds can afford a $20M+ a season player, but is Votto that player.
    That's an opinion that you and some others share. And it's also an opinion that I, and some others, don't share. We can just leave it at that.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I'm sure the Jays are doing all their planning around taking a run at Joey Votto in 2014.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm sure the Jays are doing all their planning around taking a run at Joey Votto in 2014.
    No one EVER said that is the reason why this move was made. Simply acknowledging an (possible) unintended consequence of this deal.

Is that worthy of an eyeroll back...nah, I'll pass.

No one EVER said that is the reason why this move was made. Simply acknowledging an (possible) unintended consequence of this deal.

Is that worthy of an eyeroll back...nah, I'll pass.
    Sort of like trying to call a puzzle connect the dots with only one dot. I'll pass on such idle speculation, I guess.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Sort of like trying to call a puzzle connect the dots with only one dot. I'll pass on such idle speculation, I guess.
    Is there a metaphor out there for someone jumping into a thread and completely misrepresenting what has been said, with an eyeroll to boot?

Time to move on boys. You're ruining the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I thought this was pretty funny.

Love how the Wells trade includes a Napoli physical, as if Jays would walk away. Doctor: "He has no legs." Jays: "Yeah, we're OK with that."
    Right! Pretty dang funny!
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Is there a metaphor out there for someone jumping into a thread and completely misrepresenting what has been said, with an eyeroll to boot?
    I don't think it misrepresents what you are trying to say at all, which is that three years down the road, this trade may open the door for the Jays to make a play for Votto in FA. If I read that as a Jays fan, I'd say, "gee, thanks for the hope. We might make a play for a guy who may or may not be a star in three years, so no Vernon Wells now is a good thing."

Also, I'd say that making any connection at all is inaccurate. That trade was made as a baseball move today and has absolutely nothing to do with Joey Votto happening to be from Toronto originally. It's not good logic to even try to make the connection.

I apologize for the eyeroll and I'm sorry that offended you, it could have been said with less sarcasm, but I will stand by my reason for posting. And mods, that is why I am responding, that will be my final word on this line of discussion.
    Last edited by traderumor; 01-23-2011 at 08:30 AM.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

It should give them plenty of room to potentially throw away some dough on Jose Bautista in the future.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The next time someone says, "we should trade X," and someone else says, "we can't trade X, nobody would want X," the first person just has to say, "Vernon Wells". Millions of message board arguments ended just like that.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    The next time someone says, "we should trade X," and someone else says, "we can't trade X, nobody would want X," the first person just has to say, "Vernon Wells". Millions of message board arguments ended just like that.
    Did the guy not hit 30 plus homers last year? Yes, he's overpaid, but he's still a pretty good player.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?