Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you have taken Manny for $2 mill ?

Would you have taken Manny for $2 mill ?

Just saw where Manny Ramirez signed with the Rays for $2 million. Would you have taken him in Cincy if we could have gotten the same deal? Would you rather have a cheap, but clearly declining, Manny in LF for 90+ games or what we have now?
    ----------
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, he would have given us stomachs." - David Daye

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you have taken Manny for $2 mill ?

H**L NO!!!!!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."...George Orwell

"George Bush is a fan of mine...he came to see me in the 70's. His coke dealer brought him."...Bette Midler

in a second

Gomes is way better than Manny for team chemistry, and it wouldn't help the LF defense. I like the Reds current plan better with a platoon in LF.

No. His act would wreck the chemistry of this team. I can't believe anyone would throw money at this guy and have to put up with his nonsense. Maybe a good fit with the Bengals?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    in a second

He would get injured and provide terrible defense in the process of getting injured.

Manny Ramirez for 1 year, or Miguel Cairo for 2... hmmmm, I think this would've been a great signing. If he stays healthy he provides Votto with some protection, if he's washed up, you're out 2 million, and still have Gomes. Manny has far more upside than what is on the current roster in my opinion. Also, not that money is the objective, but I would assume Manny would cover that contract in ticket/jersey sales. I know I would be a lot more excited going into the season if Manny was playing LF and hitting cleanup behind Votto.
    Last edited by mroby85; 01-22-2011 at 01:58 PM.

I, too, would love to have Manny Ramirez in LF for 2 million dollars. I think this is a no-brainer. i can't think he would be that big of a disruption. It seems like his teammates usually love him.

Almost a guarantee to hit above .290 and OPS .870 if he were to stay healthy, and in some defensive statistics such as Total Zone Total Fielding Runs Above Avg, beat out Gomes by a margin of -7 to -15 last year.

For $2Mil, it's only $1.2M more than Gomes and it's a clear upgrade offensively. I just can't see him wanting to play baseball in Ohio again though.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think Manny is on the decline. It seems since he was caught for a banned substance and returned, that he has not been the same player.

Age is catching up with him.

Good signing for the Rays because he needs to be relegated to DHing.

Not a chance I'd have him on the Reds. Aside from poor defensive capabilities and lack of effort in the field, declining offensive performance brought on by age and loss of steroids, there's the whole distraction of "Manny being Manny" that will crop up more than once during the season.

Were the Reds in the AL, I might take a shot as he does still bring some pop to the plate and as a DH he might prove somewhat effective. On and NL team, he's a very overpriced pinch hitter.

I'll take the Gomes/Heisey and Lewis platoon as the better option right now.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

i think it could work for one year. i think the team would embrace him. but then again im not complaining hes not here. Its a gamble and the reds dont really need to do that.

I would much rather have VLad Guerrao.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I hear Carson Palmer is available to play LF next year.

Turn Off Ads?