Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think people who think this is posturing on the part of Mike Brown are seriously misjudging him. He's not that smart, and I'm not kidding. I also think you underestimate his determination when it comes to never giving in to demands of any kind. It's been 20 years and counting and he still had no intention of ever hiring a real GM.
    I agree.

The New Orleans Saints could offer their entire draft for Carson and Mike Brown would still say no.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think it's entirely possible that he just stumbled upon the right strategy here. Whether he thought it through or not, he might as well give other teams the impression that he's not going to "give" Carson Palmer away.
    I firmly believe Mike Brown would hire a GM before he traded Carson. And we know the odds of him hiring a GM.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

The way Mike Brown answers questions make him sound like he barely knows how the game of football is played. I mean, what football executive talks like this? He has to be the the major butt of jokes among other NFL GMs.
    A complete embarrassment to the City of Cincinnati. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for some of their meetings. It'd be hilarious, but sad because his ineptitude affects my team and my city. When will it end????

I also think you underestimate his determination when it comes to never giving in to demands of any kind. .
    Corey Dillon says hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Corey Dillon says hi.
    Takeo Spikes, too (MWM's point is well taken, though).

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Takeo Spikes, too (MWM's point is well taken, though).
    I'm pretty sure Takeo left through free agency.

He did, but they could (and would) have tagged him if he hadn't been so adamant about wanting out.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Takeo left through free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    He did, but they could (and would) have tagged him if he hadn't been so adamant about wanting out.
    It also showed at the time that Marvin had some pull. The word was that Mike wanted to tag him, but Marvin asked him not to. I think Marvin wanted a clean slate.

The same thing could happen here eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    It also showed at the time that Marvin had some pull. The word was that Mike wanted to tag him, but Marvin asked him not to. I think Marvin wanted a clean slate.

The same thing could happen here eventually.
    You're exactly right that's why they let him go and Marvin in the past couple of years even said not being able to coach Takeo in his prime was one of, if not his biggest, regrets during his tenure. I will agree that they made the correct move to start changing the culture, but I think everyone can agree that he's the exception in that he was allowed to leave, and not the rule, for the reason you mentioned.

I think Carson being a QB instead of a LB makes this a different situation from that standpoint. By all accounts, Marvin does want to move on from a player that clearly doesn't want to be here, but given Mikey's love for his QB's, I'll believe that will happen only when I see it.

If Carson really is adamant about not playing here then MB will trade him eventually; probably next year. Honestly I think any GM would handle it like MB has to this point considering the lockout and where the Bengals stand. If MB comes out and announces that Carson is done as a Bengal and call 1-800-BENGALS will take best offer, then he loses all leverage. Right now he can refuse all offers and say "if that's all you're going to give me I'll let him rot in Southern Cal."

Hey, if ya' got $30M in the bank, you're in your 30's with a couple of kids and you've suffered the trauma that is known as the Cincinnati Bengals, I'd be happy to 'rot' in Southern California.

I really think that Carson has been a pretty good quarterback considering the inept teams that the Bengals have surrounded him with. I also think he has been a leader, quiet, but still a leader. We've all seen him get his receivers faces when need be. He's been a class act. But, considering having to work for an owner like Mikey Boy I certainly understand his willingness to 'hang 'em up'.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?