Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    According to Mike Lombardi of the NFL network he wouldn't have to pay anything back under the current CBA (see Ashley Lelie as Lombardi referenced) however it remains to be seen if under the new CBA he would have to pay back any portion.
    I have strong doubts that any such changes would be retroactive to old contracts done under the old rules. Anything signed going forward, sure.
    Not all who wander are lost

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I have strong doubts that any such changes would be retroactive to old contracts done under the old rules. Anything signed going forward, sure.
    Your probably right but it's not out of the question.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I don't think he should have to pay it back in any case. Everything he signed was done so in good faith. So far as we know, he had every intention of playing the entire contract, and he changed his mind afterwards.
    The contract stipulates that a certain dollar figure was paid to him the first year, a certain figure the 2nd year, etc etc, if he retired, he'd be forfeiting whatever was still to be paid to him.

If owners don't like this, they could instead guarantee contracts. Then they wouldn't have to pay so much in signing bonuses.(NOT GOING TO HAPPEN)

Thinking in more down to earth terms say you sign on the dotted line for a life insurance policy saying that you have perfect health. Then the day after you receive the policy you find out that you have some horrible disease? Could the insurance company refuse to pay? NO, unless they can prove you knew about the terrible disease before hand and lied to them then they have to pay up.
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 03-09-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Dave Lapham - 03-09-2011 02:45 PM

Carson's wife is a big factor in this. She definitely wants out of Cincinnati. Unhappy wife=unhappy life. In the meeting Carson had with Mike Brown face to face all he said was he was unhappy. He would not divulge the specifics of his unhappiness. If you are trying to move on to another franchise, I guess it makes sense to not rip the organization of the guy you are trying to get to move you. My understanding is Marvin Lewis went to California later to see Carson face to face and came out of that session feeling Carson was determined in his resolve to move on. I saw Carson leave the locker room the day after the season ended and he had packed up his entire locker. Nothing left behind. His mind was made up then. It will be interesting to see if Marvin can get Mike to soften his position about trading disgruntled players under contract. Particularly the player Mike looks at as the face of his franchise. If the market will bear a 2nd rounder you have to pull the trigger on that don't you? I believe he has 3-5 years left if he avoids any more injury. Knee reconstruction, ligament damage to the throwing elbow.....that's plenty to deal with for any career.

http://footballpros.com/content.php/...-Palmer-Enigma
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

Common sense to all is to get as much as you can for Carson when he's allowed to be traded. Mike Brown doesn't have common sense so we'll get zippo out of him when it's all said done.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Common sense to all is to get as much as you can for Carson when he's allowed to be traded. Mike Brown doesn't have common sense so we'll get zippo out of him when it's all said done.
    I truly wonder what his trade value actually is. The Carson I watched the last few years is not very good at all, I would say below average. I think just wiping his contract off the books is a win for the Bengals. In a few years Palmer will be mentioned with Greg Cook as guys who could have been great had they not gotten injured.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I truly wonder what his trade value actually is. The Carson I watched the last few years is not very good at all, I would say below average. I think just wiping his contract off the books is a win for the Bengals. In a few years Palmer will be mentioned with Greg Cook as guys who could have been great had they not gotten injured.
    Jake Delhomme was paid $7 million last year. QB's are gold in this league. Carson would warrant a 2nd round pick, plus other draft picks. . .minimum. I doubt anyone in the Top 10 is willing to trade their pick for him though, but being a QB who's had success before and is infinitely better than Delhomme, his value is still pretty decent. A think the Bengals would net a 1st rounder for him, but in the bottom half of the round.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Jake Delhomme was paid $7 million last year. QB's are gold in this league. Carson would warrant a 2nd round pick, plus other draft picks. . .minimum. I doubt anyone in the Top 10 is willing to trade their pick for him though, but being a QB who's had success before and is infinitely better than Delhomme, his value is still pretty decent. A think the Bengals would net a 1st rounder for him, but in the bottom half of the round.
    How many Super Bowls has Carson played in?

How many Super Bowls has Carson played in?
    How many playoff games has Mike Brown won in a league designed for everyone to win at some point or another?

The answer is the same and I have no idea what relevance that has to his trade value.

How many playoff games has Mike Brown won in a league designed for everyone to win at some point or another?

The answer is the same and I have no idea what relevance that has to his trade value.
    You said that Carson is infintly better than Delhomme and I think he is not. Carson's career Qb rating before not including 2010 is 86.9 and Delhomme's is 81.2. Carson's career record is 50-61 and Delhomme's is 54-43. Prime years of his career I would take Delhomme over Palmer. My point is Carson is a below average quarter back with a terrible contract and has little trade value.

Prime years of his career I would take Delhomme over Palmer. My point is Carson is a below average quarter back with a terrible contract and has little trade value.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. That's just crazy talk. Palmer in his prime, or peak I should say, was an outstanding QB. One of the best 3 in the league. This was short-lived, unfortunately, but something Delhomme couldn't come close to achieving. Palmer at his best blows Delhomme out of the water.

That being said, Carson is now a below average QB. There's no doubt about it. He has the chance to put together another good year or two, but his prime years are gone.

I believe Carson could fetch a 2nd round pick and I would jump all over that. No chance of that happening though. Mike Brown has dug in and Carson won't play this year.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

You said that Carson is infintly better than Delhomme and I think he is not. Carson's career Qb rating before not including 2010 is 86.9 and Delhomme's is 81.2. Carson's career record is 50-61 and Delhomme's is 54-43. Prime years of his career I would take Delhomme over Palmer. My point is Carson is a below average quarter back with a terrible contract and has little trade value.
    You're right, he's below average. At the same time, I'm willing to beat there are plenty of teams who would gladly trade a 2nd round pick for his services/contract. My guess is that he'll play much better for another organization, but nothing spectacular. I'd be willing to guess that if wants out of Cincy so bad and for another team to take on his contract, he'd be willing to re-work it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. That's just crazy talk. Palmer in his prime, or peak I should say, was an outstanding QB. One of the best 3 in the league. This was short-lived, unfortunately, but something Delhomme couldn't come close to achieving. Palmer at his best blows Delhomme out of the water.

That being said, Carson is now a below average QB. There's no doubt about it. He has the chance to put together another good year or two, but his prime years are gone.

I believe Carson could fetch a 2nd round pick and I would jump all over that. No chance of that happening though. Mike Brown has dug in and Carson won't play this year.
    Carson had one great year one good one. Jim Harbaugh had one great season and a few good ones and he was never a top teir quarterback. I wonder if Carson's prime years were just flukes and what we see now is the real Palmer?

You're right, he's below average. At the same time, I'm willing to beat there are plenty of teams who would gladly trade a 2nd round pick for his services/contract. My guess is that he'll play much better for another organization, but nothing spectacular. I'd be willing to guess that if wants out of Cincy so bad and for another team to take on his contract, he'd be willing to re-work it.
    Carson is essentially quitting on his team right? Its one thing for a prima donna reciever to do that but its completely different when your quarterback does it. It kind of reminds me of Jeff George. I just do not think he has a lot of value in the trade market.

Carson had one great year one good one. Jim Harbaugh had one great season and a few good ones and he was never a top teir quarterback. I wonder if Carson's prime years were just flukes and what we see now is the real Palmer?
    They weren't flukes. Major injuries happened and the rest is history.

Turn Off Ads?