Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast
Results 286 to 300 of 326

Thread: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

  1. #286
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,615

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    They weren't flukes. Major injuries happened and the rest is history.
    Tom Brady had a major injury and came back and is almost as good right? Why is the injury thing a crutch for Carson? If he is that injured then maybe he should have retired 3 seasons ago.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #287
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Jake Delhomme was paid $7 million last year. QB's are gold in this league. Carson would warrant a 2nd round pick, plus other draft picks. . .minimum. I doubt anyone in the Top 10 is willing to trade their pick for him though, but being a QB who's had success before and is infinitely better than Delhomme, his value is still pretty decent. A think the Bengals would net a 1st rounder for him, but in the bottom half of the round.
    I'd be aiming for Seattles pick at number 25 I believe it is.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  4. #288
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Carson had one great year one good one. Jim Harbaugh had one great season and a few good ones and he was never a top teir quarterback. I wonder if Carson's prime years were just flukes and what we see now is the real Palmer?
    Well his most recent season he threw for 26 TD's and nearly 4000 yards. I don't care what else he did or didn't do that isn't below average. And suggesting that his wins are somehow a major indictment on him is preposterous. 2 times he has had a good enough team around him to make the playoffs, one he was hurt on the 1st play of the game and the other his defense wasn't good enough to hold the opposition and his offensive co-ordinator decided to throw the ball with little to throw to against the #1 rated pass defense in the league, foolish.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  5. #289
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Tom Brady had a major injury and came back and is almost as good right? Why is the injury thing a crutch for Carson? If he is that injured then maybe he should have retired 3 seasons ago.
    Maybe he should've focused on ping-pong in college instead of football? Seriously, what in the world are you talking about? This isn't that complicated. I really am curious why you can't stand Carson so much.

    Carson was a great quarterback before his knee got blown out. He was one of the top 3-4 in the game. After that injury, he's been right around average with some years better and some years worse than others. I'm not trying to make excuses for Carson and really don't care if he ever plays for the Bengals again, or anyone else for that matter. It's just preposterous to suggest he should've retired 3 seasons ago or that Jake Delhomme was better than him in his prime.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  6. #290
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,615

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Maybe he should've focused on ping-pong in college instead of football? Seriously, what in the world are you talking about? This isn't that complicated. I really am curious why you can't stand Carson so much.

    Carson was a great quarterback before his knee got blown out. He was one of the top 3-4 in the game. After that injury, he's been right around average with some years better and some years worse than others. I'm not trying to make excuses for Carson and really don't care if he ever plays for the Bengals again, or anyone else for that matter. It's just preposterous to suggest he should've retired 3 seasons ago or that Jake Delhomme was better than him in his prime.
    I don't hate Carson, I don't like the fact that he is giving up on his team and that it seems that he gets no heat for the Bengals struggles. Carson is an average quarterback at best who had ONE great season and two good seasons. Carson is no better than Jim Harbaugh, Bobby Hebert or Delhomme IMO and none of those guys were ever considered a top 3-4 quarterback.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  7. #291
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

    Just thought I'd add these quotes from Dave Lapham (alledgedly).

    Football Pros Link

    Carson's wife is a big factor in this. She definitely wants out of Cincinnati. Unhappy wife=unhappy life. In the meeting Carson had with Mike Brown face to face all he said was he was unhappy. He would not divulge the specifics of his unhappiness. If you are trying to move on to another franchise, I guess it makes sense to not rip the organization of the guy you are trying to get to move you. My understanding is Marvin Lewis went to California later to see Carson face to face and came out of that session feeling Carson was determined in his resolve to move on. I saw Carson leave the locker room the day after the season ended and he had packed up his entire locker. Nothing left behind. His mind was made up then. It will be interesting to see if Marvin can get Mike to soften his position about trading disgruntled players under contract. Particularly the player Mike looks at as the face of his franchise. If the market will bear a 2nd rounder you have to pull the trigger on that don't you? I believe he has 3-5 years left if he avoids any more injury. Knee reconstruction, ligament damage to the throwing elbow.....that's plenty to deal with for any career.
    His wife went back to the West Coast last season with 5 games left to play in the season. They have 2 year old twins (boy & girl) and she was pregnant with their third child, a second daughter born in early February. People in Carson's neighborhood that I have spoken with say the rubbish on the property was "urban legend" grossly exaggerated. His wife was upset when he reached 25,000 passing yards in the Tampa Bay game... and when the achievement was put up on the Jumbotron he was booed because of a costly intercetion that was thrown at the end of the game that was a huge factor in the loss. She has supposedly told Carson if he chooses to return to Cincinnati he goes alone, no wife and kids. I also think Carson is fed up with the lack of discipline with which his receivers have run their routes that cost him a lot of interceptions that he endured. Never pointed the finger publicly, yet the problem persisted. The receivers never had their feet held to the fire. When he told Mike he was unhappy, I think it involves everything. How the organization is run top to bottom.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  8. #292
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I don't hate Carson, I don't like the fact that he is giving up on his team and that it seems that he gets no heat for the Bengals struggles. Carson is an average quarterback at best who had ONE great season and two good seasons. Carson is no better than Jim Harbaugh, Bobby Hebert or Delhomme IMO and none of those guys were ever considered a top 3-4 quarterback.
    Carson's pretty much doing what every other Bengals fan should do and give up on this franchise.

  9. #293
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    6,028

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded


    Well the least he could do is state his reasons instead of being vague. But this is his personality...which while I thought his personality matched Troy Aikman's when he first came to the NFL (Along with his talents) His passive agressive nature is really not conducive to leading a team as an NFL QB.

    Redsfanmia.....NO better than Bobby Hebert, Harbaugh? Are you kidding me with this analysis? The 2005 season alone is better than what those 2 did ever along with Delhomme...good grief ....,yeah you don't hate him at all, sure sounds like you don't at all.

  10. #294
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    6,028

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Just thought I'd add these quotes from Dave Lapham (alledgedly).

    Football Pros Link

    I am all for holding those 2 WR's under and over the fire. Chad Johnson (Your name is Johnson Chad not a number) should have been traded but Mike is and will continue to be too stupid to realize it.....who quit being a WR after 2005-06 and decided to turn into Kim Kardashian. Owens played better but still was more worried about getting hurt to try and dive for balls. They all have to be perfectly placed for him.

  11. #295
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,258

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

    Gee, I hope that if Carson goes to another team, his wife doesn't expect it to be sunshine and lollipops. Bengals fans are softies compared to other fan bases in the league. I'd say a lot of Bengals fans still think he could return to his old form. If he goes to a new team and doesn't perform up to expectations, it will be a lot worse. Imagine if he got sent to New York, Philadelphia or Cleveland.

    I don't agree with fans who have booed him, but they've been buying the tickets, watching games on TV, and buying the merchandise that justifies his big salary. Whether they cheer or boo, the fans are the reason why Mrs. Palmer's husband has such a well-paying job. If she can't deal with it, maybe Carson needs to retire.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  12. #296
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,178

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't agree with fans who have booed him, but they've been buying the tickets, watching games on TV, and buying the merchandise that justifies his big salary. Whether they cheer or boo, the fans are the reason why Mrs. Palmer's husband has such a well-paying job. If she can't deal with it, maybe Carson needs to retire.
    I booed. It was in the middle of the worst collapse of a football game I have seen in a long time. There is no way you should have lost a 10 (or 14) point lead late in the game. There is no way you should have lost a game in which you could have taken the ball under the 2 minute warning, punted it inside the 20 and forced Josh Freeman score a TD with no time outs.

    When interviewed a little bit later Carson said he didn't even hear the boos. And that they didn't bother him if he would have. I have said this before, if Carson wanted to retire because he is financially set and doesn't want to take the pounding anymore then I am all for that. But if there are ulterior motives then that is where I have a problem.

  13. #297
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,188

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

    I don't know BucksFan, I'm wondering if the pushback from his wife was simply the straw breaking the camel's back.

    Would I be willing to live seperate from my wife and kids for 7-8 months out of the year?
    Maybe.

    Would I be willing to put up with a mouthy wide receiver and an out of control dysfunctional football team wihich will constantly give me no margin for error if I want to win?
    Maybe.

    Would I be willing to put up with the mouthy wide receiver on the out of control dysfunctional football team even as I know my skills have already peaked all while being away from my wife and three kids for 7 months out of the year?
    Maybe not. Especially when my alternatives are 1) Be traded 2) Retire.

    Now, the whole leaking of information is a bit too over the top for my tastes, but from what it sounds like, he was upfront and honest about this with Mike Brown and he didn't personally go to the press.(It may very well have been someone with the Bengals that leaked this information.)
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  14. #298
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,178

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I don't know BucksFan, I'm wondering if the pushback from his wife was simply the straw breaking the camel's back.

    Would I be willing to live seperate from my wife and kids for 7-8 months out of the year?
    Maybe.

    Would I be willing to put up with a mouthy wide receiver and an out of control dysfunctional football team wihich will constantly give me no margin for error if I want to win?
    Maybe.

    Would I be willing to put up with the mouthy wide receiver on the out of control dysfunctional football team even as I know my skills have already peaked all while being away from my wife and three kids for 7 months out of the year?
    Maybe not. Especially when my alternatives are 1) Be traded 2) Retire.

    Now, the whole leaking of information is a bit too over the top for my tastes, but from what it sounds like, he was upfront and honest about this with Mike Brown and he didn't personally go to the press.(It may very well have been someone with the Bengals that leaked this information.)
    It was my understanding that Carson and his family moved to Cincinnati for the majority of the season. I also thought that he sold his California home a few years ago and it wasn't until recently that he bought the parcel of property around San Diego. From my perspective due to Carson's job the idea of relocation and living in a place that you don't love (or like) is a real option. If he wasn't happy in Cincinnati he never should have signed that extension. Carson has a contract and as with millions of other employees that contract needs to be honored.

    Now if he wants to retire from football I have no issue with that. If he wants to retire because he wants to spend more time with his family good for him. If he wants to retire because of the injuries that come with football then good for him. If his entire goal in playing football was to set his family up for life and to retire young then good for him. Not so much good for the Bengals, but good for him.

    To me it doesn't sound like Carson wants to retire, just that is his bargaining chip. He is capitalizing on the situation that several west coast teams find themselves in. He realizes that there are potential suitors in San Francisco, Seattle, and Arizona. If he walks away from the game Jake Plumber style then good for him. If he whines and cries his way out of Cincy then good riddance.

  15. #299
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,022

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Carson has a contract and as with millions of other employees that contract needs to be honored.
    I've said it once and I'll say it again. Contracts are totally different in the NFL. The fact that they are not guarenteed changes everything. Do you feel just as strongly that the Bengals should not have cut Antonio Bryant...or do you prefer they stuck with the 4 yr 28 MM deal? I'm with you, contracts in general should be honored...but signing a non-guarenteed deal is a whole different ballgame.

  16. #300
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,615

    Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Well the least he could do is state his reasons instead of being vague. But this is his personality...which while I thought his personality matched Troy Aikman's when he first came to the NFL (Along with his talents) His passive agressive nature is really not conducive to leading a team as an NFL QB.

    Redsfanmia.....NO better than Bobby Hebert, Harbaugh? Are you kidding me with this analysis? The 2005 season alone is better than what those 2 did ever along with Delhomme...good grief ....,yeah you don't hate him at all, sure sounds like you don't at all.
    After looking at the stats Hebert and Harbaugh was a bit of a stretch. Carson is still an average quarterback at best.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25