Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

Re: ESPN Report - Carson wants to be traded

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You sign a contract, you honor it. Mike Brown is terrible but you play out your deal.

Palmer hasn't been lights out, how would he like it Brown said quit or we're not paying you?

These guys are babies.
    Dom I agree with you if this was in a regular business environment, however this is professional sports. Guys only have so many years to play in the NFL. Palmer has made his money, he wants to win. He knows the bengals are going nowhere. He wants the chance to leave his mark on the NFL and play in a super bowl...I don't blame him. If you were in a bad marriage and your spouse had no intentions on doing her part to improve the marriage would you stay in the marriage? Same thing. The Bengals are a "dead-beat" spouse.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Its always good to find a scapegoat. This all appears like everyone deserves each other, yet the OC is the problem. Riiggggghhhhht!
    Apart from the problem being Mike Brown ultimately, I think that people who downplay how much of a problem Bob Bratkowski is don't know what they are talking about.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Dom I agree with you if this was in a regular business environment, however this is professional sports. Guys only have so many years to play in the NFL. Palmer has made his money, he wants to win. He knows the bengals are going nowhere. He wants the chance to leave his mark on the NFL and play in a super bowl...I don't blame him. If you were in a bad marriage and your spouse had no intentions on doing her part to improve the marriage would you stay in the marriage? Same thing. The Bengals are a "dead-beat" spouse.
    Mik Brown hasn't changed- this is the same guy, not someone who changed midway through the deal.

He should have sat out the playoffs last year if Mikey was so bad. Oh wait, he did.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    No, but I don't think he's got much trade value.

The more I think about it, the more I'm mixed about the whole thing.

I like the statement it makes about sticking it to Mike Brown. It says a lot that a guy would hang his career up entirely before he'd come back and play another year for Mikey. At the same time, Carson hasn't exactly been great these past 3 years. In fact, he's stunk quite a bit. So when he goes spouting off and wanting to jump ship, it doesn't sit too well because he's been a pretty big part of the problem in my opinion.

With that being said, I'd let him retire. I don't want him back as QB but I hate granting wishes to players who want to jump ship. Let him sit at home and forfeit the rest of his contract. When it comes down to it, it just really, really sucks to be a Bengals fan right now. The whole franchise is just a mess and it's hard to be very optimistic about that ever changing.

Jump ship? This is like the Titanic, Britannia and the Andrea Dora all rolled into one in that FO. Terrible organization and we all know it and harp on it but when Pickens, Dillon and Spikes want out...some people want to get on their case and wonder why? Or they should be happy to pick up pay checks.

So if i get tis right based on some comments made not just by you but also some others. The player should be happy he is getting paid tons of money....even if he is stuck on a loser of a team with an ingrate of an owner who gives new meaning to cutting off nose to spite face.... who knows there is really not much hope of changes at all, no matter how obvious.... but he has to grin and bear it and be Archie Manning part 2.

A lot of people talk about why players do not stand up and say something about the way things are done and finally someone does....and now some do not like it. He has every right to asked to be traded beacuse he is tired of being in a loser organization and he sees how things are run there better than anyone. I am not absolving him of some of his culpability.....but now that I watch LeBeau go to another SB... I see nothing is more of a microcosm of a bad organization than how badly Dick was as a Dc in Cincy while being lights out in Pittsburgh.... according to Brown, they have the same info as everyone else...how could that be?

Palmer is trying to call brown's bluff on not making changes. You may not like it but at least the quiet bengal who has some class in the way he behaves off/on the field is finally showing some cajones.

Great post, Cloninger.

My position on NFL players who whine and cry to get traded is always the same. If you don't like where you are, don't sign those huge contract extensions with all the years and signing bonuses. If you want out, give some of that upfront money you didn't earn and let the team free up cap space to bring in your replacement.

I don't like Bratkowski, but I think demanding a trade is weak, especially from a guy who is partially to blame for a lot of the Bengal's offensive troubles in the past. Palmer has had plenty of trouble hitting open receivers, even ones not named Ochocinco, so you can't say it's just bad route running. He's also had issues with poor choices on audibles, stupid delay of game penalties caused by failing to get the team to the line and get the ball hiked before the clock runs down, and a general lack of decisiveness in critical situations. Sure, he hasn't had the best offensive lines as of late, but he doesn't seem like a QB who makes quick decisions, even when he sometimes has all day to throw.

Personally, if everyone wants Brat out as coach, I'd rather see the players threaten a joint hold-out or some other concerted effort that forces Brown's hand. Brown has shown he's willing to wait out a single player demanding a trade. I think it would take a situation where he risks a significant number of players holding out to force his hand.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

The funny thing is that Mike Brown is one of the few owners in all of sports who honestly don't care about this. When he heard it, he probably grinned a little and went back to whatever he was doing. I really don't think he gives two rips about this.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I normally don't like it when players do this, but I'm hoping that this will force the Bengals to change things since its the starting QB thats saying this.

Chad is already upset with Lewis, Benson is talking about not wanting to come back if Brat is still hear and now Palmer is talking about wanting to be traded. This is going to be an interesting offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    ....but now that I watch LeBeau go to another SB... I see nothing is more of a microcosm of a bad organization than how badly Dick was as a Dc in Cincy while being lights out in Pittsburgh.... according to Brown, they have the same info as everyone else...how could that be?
    I thought the Bengals made some improvements defensively under Lebeau. Weren't they in the top 10 in defense a couple times? Lebeau as a head coach didn't work out but then again I don't see many people growing pineapples in Siberia.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    My position on NFL players who whine and cry to get traded is always the same. If you don't like where you are, don't sign those huge contract extensions with all the years and signing bonuses. If you want out, give some of that upfront money you didn't earn and let the team free up cap space to bring in your replacement.
    owners get rid of players all the time when they are under contract. So its ok for them to not honor the contract but its not okay for a player to try and force their way out?

I'd love Palmer to get traded to like the 49ers and come into PBS next year and light the bengals up w/ 5TD passes in a 35-0 route. Then flick off the crowd on his way out.

I think you Bengals fans are selling Palmer a little short. I think it's just one of those things were your guys aren't as bad they seem when things are going to hell and they aren't as good as they seem when things are going great.

I honestly have to believe that there are quite a few NFL teams that would like to have Palmer as their QB.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    owners get rid of players all the time when they are under contract. So its ok for them to not honor the contract but its not okay for a player to try and force their way out?
    Exactly. I don't think ownership is held to the same standard.

There's an unwritten agreement between teams and fans. If the team is competitive and trying to win every game fans will support them. Every year Mike Brown tries to sell people that he wants to win. The Bengals run promos about how the team is going to march to the playoffs. And, every year ownership doesn't give the team what it needs to be as competitive as possible. Mike Brown was given a brand new stadium and most teams would be jealous of the terms. The fans have shown up game after game after game in that shiny new expensive stadium. And yet Mike does nothing. There was an article in the Sunday Enquirer about how more than a hundred season ticket holders aren't renewing. I hope the fans and players do even more to show Mike how frustrated they are. Instead of people being mad at Carson they should be mad at Mike. Cuz he brought all of this on himself.

I think this shows how bad things are with the Bengals.

Palmer has been the ultimate trooper on this team. He has always takes on the blame for a lousy offensve coordinator, lousy OL, and diva receivers that run crap routes and freelance to their hearts content. He has *always* shut up about everything wrong with the Bengals and kept up a positive front.

If Palmer wants out, you know things have to be at the absolute pits. Now, it can be debated as to whether or not he's worth keeping and that is a valid point. But Palmer has been the ultimate team player and now he's turning his back on the team. All I can say is wow.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

Palmer has been the ultimate trooper on this team. He has always takes on the blame for a lousy offensve coordinator, lousy OL, and diva receivers that run crap routes and freelance to their hearts content. He has *always* shut up about everything wrong with the Bengals and kept up a positive front.

If Palmer wants out, you know things have to be at the absolute pits. Now, it can be debated as to whether or not he's worth keeping and that is a valid point. But Palmer has been the ultimate team player and now he's turning his back on the team. All I can say is wow.
    My thoughts exactly. I really hope Palmer doesn't back down. I hope he turns the heat up with more comments.

IMO, this is the single best thing that could've happened this offseason, and possibly in the last 20 years. Palmer is the only person connected with the Bengals that actually has a slimmer of a chance to get something positively done with the team. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I love it!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

Palmer was a trooper because he was one of the top paid players in all of football.

I get all the Brat hate. But to some extent he has become a fall guy for this organization. Back in Palmer's hey day the Bengals had one of the most dynamic offenses in football run by Brat. They had a very good OLine, two Pro Bowl tackles and one pro bowl guard. They made the mistake of extending Willie and letting Steinbach walk. Lets not forget that at a time the Bengals were good, very good on O under Brat.

That said I do think its time for him to go. Changes need to happen because things get stale. The unfortunate stories that keep coming out about Mike's wife and Brat's wife being best friends. If thats true I wish someone in the Cincy media would break that story. Its one of the golden rules in business not to become friends with your employees.

If Palmer wants to walk away and he is happy with that then good for him. If he is doing this as a power play then good for him. But lets not forget that over the past 3-4 years he has been paid as one of the top 5 QB's in the league and has been playing like a 15ish QB. He is better than the also rans in the league, but he isn't a QB who gives you faith.

Turn Off Ads?