Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Castellini serious about keeping his promises

Bob Castellini serious about keeping his promises

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Bob Castellini serious about keeping his promises

Article's a bit bit fawning IMHO. The $151 million in new contracts is spread over multiple seasons. so it's not as if Bob doubled the Reds payroll. Reading the headline, I fully expected Fay to make reference to "The losing stops now."

As I was reading it and pondering the time it took Bob to "keep his promises," I was thinking that Bob might have opened his wallet sooner if he had trusted his early GMs more. I wonder if Krivsky and O'Brien would argue that they could have delivered more winning if they'd been given the latitude and $$$ that have been given to Walt.

It's still $151,000,000 that he has to pay people.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    As I was reading it and pondering the time it took Bob to "keep his promises," I was thinking that Bob might have opened his wallet sooner if he had trusted his early GMs more. I wonder if Krivsky and O'Brien would argue that they could have delivered more winning if they'd been given the latitude and $$$ that have been given to Walt.
    Krivsky was given much more money early on than Walt has been given. Money has had nothing to do with Walt's tenure.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Money has had nothing to do with Walt's tenure.
    I agree. I just wonder if Walt's predecessors do. All of the millions in the deals cited by Fay in this article make it sound like Bob opened the wallet wide to bring in the players Walt wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Yeah I was thinking that too. $150 mil in debt is still a hefty obligation.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Go sign Vlad Guerrero
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I get that, but the payroll was going to be around $80 Million per year over the next several years and Votto, Bruce and Cueto would have gotten a whole lot of it anyway. But hey, he spent $3 Million to bring in Edgar Renteria and Fred Lewis.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

When Fay talks money, I just tune out.
    Unofficial Johnny Cueto Cy Young Campaign President For Reds Fans by a Reds Fan
    Johnny Cueto's Next Start:
    AUGUST 20, 7:15 PM ET @ Busch Stadium
    MORTAL COMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Krivsky was given much more money early on than Walt has been given. Money has had nothing to do with Walt's tenure.
    Uhhhhhhhh what?!?! Do you have anything to back that up? The only way I could agree with you on that is if you concede that Krivsky inherited much less talent, causing the team to be much less expensive. But really, the team wasn't all that much less expensive. How dramatically do you think the payroll has decreased since 2008 relative to the market (since the numbers show that Jocketty's payrolls have been higher than Krivsky's).

Am I the only one that noticed this:
    The Reds began by signing Bronson Arroyo to a three-year, $35 million extension. They followed that by signing Jay Bruce to a six-year, $51 million deal. Next was Joey Votto’s three-year, $38 million deal. Johnny Cueto’s three-year, $27 million deal should become official this week.
    Just a few days ago it was reported that it would be $27M for 4 years. But, only one source reported that and the most anyone else would say was that they were still working on a deal. Now this. I hope Fay has his info wrong.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I hope Fay has his info wrong.
    John Fay have his info incorrect? Never!!!

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Uhhhhhhhh what?!?! Do you have anything to back that up? The only way I could agree with you on that is if you concede that Krivsky inherited much less talent, causing the team to be much less expensive. But really, the team wasn't all that much less expensive. How dramatically do you think the payroll has decreased since 2008 relative to the market (since the numbers show that Jocketty's payrolls have been higher than Krivsky's).
    Fact: Krivsky inherited less major league ready talent than Jocketty.

Fact: Krivsky was allowed to spend more money than Jocketty in his first 2 years.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Fact: Krivsky inherited less major league ready talent than Jocketty.

Fact: Krivsky was allowed to spend more money than Jocketty in his first 2 years.
    There is no way you can say that is a fact, you have no idea what Walt or Krivsky for that matter was allowed. You just know what they spent.

But I am not gonna get into a Krivsky vs. Walt debate again.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Am I the only one that noticed this:

Just a few days ago it was reported that it would be $27M for 4 years. But, only one source reported that and the most anyone else would say was that they were still working on a deal. Now this. I hope Fay has his info wrong.
    No your not the only one. We will have to wait and see what it ends up being, Fay probably doesn't know for sure himself either, probably just a guesstimate on his part.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?