Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl XLV

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Super Bowl XLV

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I do think they benefited from two favorable match ups in the Playoffs. They played two very similar teams to them but they had a huge advantage at QB.
    Joe Flacco is a damn good QB, and I'd probably take the Ravens OVER the Packers on a neutral field this year.

Both teams have rather large flaws -- the Steelers O-Line is duct tape and prayers and the Packers really have no running game to speak of.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Joe Flacco is a damn good QB, and I'd probably take the Ravens OVER the Packers on a neutral field this year.

Both teams have rather large flaws -- the Steelers O-Line is duct tape and prayers and the Packers really have no running game to speak of.
    Not a Flacco fan at all. I don't really think he is a good QB. He wows people with his arm and stature but there seems to be something lacking. IMO he is a guy who plays just good enough, either just good enough to win or just good enough to lose. But this isn't about Flacco its about the Steelers.

...the Packers really have no running game to speak of.
    Which is why they matchup very well against the Steelers. You can pass on the Steelers if you can get the ball out. They don't cover well but they do put pressure on the QB. They also stuff the run.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Not a Flacco fan at all. I don't really think he is a good QB. He wows people with his arm and stature but there seems to be something lacking. IMO he is a guy who plays just good enough, either just good enough to win or just good enough to lose. But this isn't about Flacco its about the Steelers.
    I can't believe some people think Flacco is a stud QB. Tell me when you're facing the Ravens who are you more worried about? Ray Lewis, Ray Rice, Joe Flacco? I know who's a distant third on my list

Rooting for the Steelers to win -- mostly to annoy the people I'm friends with on Facebook (who treat every Steelers win as further proof of the nonexistence of any divine influence).
    Awesome, that seems about right.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Any team that wants to stop Flacco should watch tape of the Bengals playing the Ravens.

In 3 seasons (6 games total) against the Bengals:
    2008: 34 of 58, 409 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 2 Sacks
    2009: 40 of 63, 381 yards, 1 TD, 4 INTs, 6 Sacks
    2010: 31 of 58, 279 yards, 1 TD, 5 INTs, 5 Sacks
    Total: 105 of 179, 1069 yards, 4 TDs, 9 INTs, 13 Sacks

Not that I completely disagree but Starks is the leading rusher in this years playoffs so far with 263 yards.He has had the benefit of playing one more game but no other rusher has over 200 yards.While I'm not going to try to convince anyone that the Pack is a great rushing team, it does seem that they have found just enough of a running attach to make a difference.

1. Any complaints about the Packers running game are totally pre James Starks being activated. The man is the real deal. Green Bay has outrushed all of their 3 postseason opponents, even though all three games have been on the road.

2. The Packers and Ravens last met in December 2009. Green Bay won 27-14 in a game that was more one sided than the score. Flacco was intercepted 3 times. Green Bay had 350 total yards, Baltimore 185.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 01-26-2011 at 01:19 AM.

It looks like Pouncey probably won't be playing:

Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette report that Pouncey has a broken bone in his left ankle in addition to the high ankle sprain that had previously been reported.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...bone-in-ankle/

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I am surprised that the Packers are favored. The Steelers have a lot of veterans from their 2005 and 2008 teams that won Super Bowls whereas the Packers are virtually free of Super Bowl experience. I think the Steelers should be favored.
    I'm with you on this, RB. I think the game will be close, but the Steelers have the proverbial ability to impose their will on you.

As much as I don't like the Steelers, I admire them having a team philosophy and sticking with it. If the Steelers defense (and Polomalu) are healthy, I see them blitzing Rodgers silly and making him make quick reads and accurate throws under pressure. Now Rodgers also has a gun and the fastest release in the game, so this ought to be an interesting matchup. And the Steelers will run the ball and Roethlisberger will play his game where he moves around, sheds tacklers like Lilliputians off Gulliver, and makes some key throws. I see the game 27-14 Steelers with the Steelers scoring late to cement a win.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

please.....please....PLEASE win Pack!!!!!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    1. Any complaints about the Packers running game are totally pre James Starks being activated. The man is the real deal. Green Bay has outrushed all of their 3 postseason opponents, even though all three games have been on the road.
    A hot streak does not a running game make -- especially when one of the games is against the Falcons. I watched a lot of their games this season, they're an incredibly poor fundamental defensive team.

2. The Packers and Ravens last met in December 2009. Green Bay won 27-14 in a game that was more one sided than the score. Flacco was intercepted 3 times. Green Bay had 350 total yards, Baltimore 185.
    I said this year.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I'm with you on this, RB. I think the game will be close, but the Steelers have the proverbial ability to impose their will on you.

As much as I don't like the Steelers, I admire them having a team philosophy and sticking with it. If the Steelers defense (and Polomalu) are healthy, I see them blitzing Rodgers silly and making him make quick reads and accurate throws under pressure. Now Rodgers also has a gun and the fastest release in the game, so this ought to be an interesting matchup. And the Steelers will run the ball and Roethlisberger will play his game where he moves around, sheds tacklers like Lilliputians off Gulliver, and makes some key throws. I see the game 27-14 Steelers with the Steelers scoring late to cement a win.
    Your prediction sems to be about spot-on (unfortunately). The Packers could win, but I would bet on the Steelers.
    Now if I could have my wish, Green Bay would win 74-0. After the game the Steelers would blame the loss upon Ben Roethlisberger being distracted by the presence of teenage girls in the stands and the injury sustained by Troy Polomalu when James Harrison missed an intended helmet-to-helmet hit on Aaron Rodgers and hit Pomomalu instead, causing Polomalu to suffer a hair concussion. Old time Steelers fans blamed the loss upon the injuries suffered by Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier against Baltimore.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

A Little SB XLV humor on a cold, cold day:

A woman had 50 yard line tickets for the Super Bowl. As she sits down, a man
    comes down and asks if anyone is sitting in the seat next to her.

"No," she says, "The seat is empty."

"This is incredible," said the man. "Who in their right mind would
    have a seat like this for the Super Bowl, the biggest sporting event in the
    world, and not use it?"

She says, "Well, actually, the seat belongs to me. I was supposed to
    come with my husband, but he passed away. This is the first Super bowl we
    haven't been to together since we got married in 1967."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. That's terrible. But couldn't you find
    someone else-a friend or relative, or even a neighbor to take the seat?".

The woman shakes her head.

"No, they're all at his funeral."

So I've been listening to quite a bit of Sports Radio this week. Jim Rome has been going on and on about how Big Ben doesn't get a fair shake in terms of being one of the greatest QBs of all time. He thinks that Ben is top 5 all time if he gets another ring.

I think he's a good QB but there are at least 5 current QBs that I would take over him. The Steeler teams he's been on have been great defensive and rushing teams.

He was talking about it at the beginning of his show today just before he brought Lynn Swan on. And as he's bringing Swan on the air Rome says "here is a guy that will back me up......uhh or maybe he won't"

And Swan goes on to say how Ben is his biggest concern for the Steelers winning this game. I laughed and I laughed.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?