Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 142

Thread: Super Bowl XLV

  1. #61
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    13,265

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Young team.

    Great young QB.

    They'll be in the playoffs for years to come.
    Most people would consider multiple championships over a short amount of time a pre-req for being called a "Dynasty."
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    Let's hope this year's game puts to rest the ridiculous notion of Ben Roethlisberger as some sort of elite post-season QB. He is slightly above a game manager, with good leadership skills, who benefits from a great defense and plus run game.

    Compare these three QB's post-season stats:

    19 games - 88.4 QB rating - 29 TD/19 INT

    19 games - 85.7 QB rating - 30 TD/16 INT

    13 games - 84.5 QB rating - 3 TD/3 INT

    The first two are QBs with different post-season legacies, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Looking at their stats, their isn't much difference.

    The last is Roethlisberger, a far cry from the other two.

  4. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    16,777

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    Yes, Ben played a horrible Super Bowl vs Seattle in Detroit about 5 yrs ago too

  5. #64
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    11,214

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Let's hope this year's game puts to rest the ridiculous notion of Ben Roethlisberger as some sort of elite post-season QB. He is slightly above a game manager, with good leadership skills, who benefits from a great defense and plus run game.

    Compare these three QB's post-season stats:

    19 games - 88.4 QB rating - 29 TD/19 INT

    19 games - 85.7 QB rating - 30 TD/16 INT

    13 games - 84.5 QB rating - 3 TD/3 INT

    The first two are QBs with different post-season legacies, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Looking at their stats, their isn't much difference.

    The last is Roethlisberger, a far cry from the other two.
    I pretty much agree with this conclusion. Big Ben is a good post season QB who plays very well within his system and is able to make plays that the aforementioned Brady and Manning can't. His ability to take a hit in the pocket and stay upright and also his ability to scramble when a play breaks down are skills that make him unique.

    But I think last night followed the script that most of Big Ben's Super Bowl wins followed. The defense allows them to stay close, they pull within striking distance and have a drive at the end to win the game. He is a good QB who has the uncanny ability to make plays when all hope is lost. However I don't think he is anywhere near an elite QB in the playoffs. I don't think he is an elite or HOF level QB but man he makes plays in the playoffs.

  6. #65
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    5,018

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    Really, the offenses owned that game last night. The Steelers shot themselves in the foot with turnovers, the Packers did it with critical drops, but otherwise the defenses didn't do much stopping out there.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

  7. #66
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    13,265

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Really, the offenses owned that game last night. The Steelers shot themselves in the foot with turnovers, the Packers did it with critical drops, but otherwise the defenses didn't do much stopping out there.
    Pittsburgh generated ZERO pass rush. Their secondary simply isn't good enough to run with guys if their front 7 is getting the QB to the ground.

    Rodgers is fantastic when he has time. Kinda sucks though -- I was really enjoying Jeff Tedford's unbroken string of mediocre/awful first-ronud pro-QBs: Trent Dilfer, David Carr, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, and Kyle Boller.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

  8. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,488

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Let's hope this year's game puts to rest the ridiculous notion of Ben Roethlisberger as some sort of elite post-season QB. He is slightly above a game manager, with good leadership skills, who benefits from a great defense and plus run game.

    Compare these three QB's post-season stats:

    19 games - 88.4 QB rating - 29 TD/19 INT

    19 games - 85.7 QB rating - 30 TD/16 INT

    13 games - 84.5 QB rating - 3 TD/3 INT

    The first two are QBs with different post-season legacies, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Looking at their stats, their isn't much difference.

    The last is Roethlisberger, a far cry from the other two.
    I agree with your general thought, but I looked and Roethlisberger has 19 TD's and 16 INT's.(4 TD's and 4 INT's this post season.)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

  9. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,488

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    I actually think the whole "wins in post season" is overrated anyway. Tom Brady got the reputation as a guy who won in the post season even if his numbers were not off the charts, he's lost his last three playoff games(Last two at home.)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

  10. #69
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,085

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    I despise Big Ben, but to just look at his "stats" for playoff games is misleading. During the performance in the Jets game they put the numbers side by side with Sanchez. I believe Sanchez was over 100 QB rating, and Big Ben was under 50. But there was no debate over the better QB that game. QB rating is good, but not the whole story.

  11. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,488

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    Well I'd argue that a guy who was 10 of 19 with 2 picks played well. He may have been a better quarterback, but it's a stretch to say he played better than Sanchez that day.

    His team won, so I suppose you could say he made throws "when he needed to," but the rest of the team got the Steelers a lead so the throws he got around to making still meant something.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

  12. #71
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,085

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Well I'd argue that a guy who was 10 of 19 with 2 picks played well. He may have been a better quarterback, but it's a stretch to say he played better than Sanchez that day.

    His team won, so I suppose you could say he made throws "when he needed to," but the rest of the team got the Steelers a lead so the throws he got around to making still meant something.
    And we could debate and go round and round about the better QB that day, but do you think in terms of the QB position, Sanchez was 3 times as good as Ben?, cause that is what the QB rating shows.

    And just to ask, as the Colts fans have jumped in to knock Ben down a peg or 2...who is the better postseason QB, Big Ben or Peyton?

  13. #72
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    13,538

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    I thought the game was going to be Rodgers quick release vs. the Steelers blitzing. I thought the blitzing was going to get to Rodgers and make him hurry his passes and make mistakes. But he didn't. The Green Bay OL and running backs did a decent job of keeping the blitzers away from Rodgers and then Rodgers did a great job of finding open receivers fast. I can only remember hi throwing the ball away 2-3 times. The rest of the time he was finding open guys.

    I also think the GB defense made the Steelers offense play "faster" than what they were used to. Steelers made the turnovers and that was the ballgame.

    The motel of lost companions,
    Waits with heated pool and bar

  14. #73
    Ha! Idiot. Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,692

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    And we could debate and go round and round about the better QB that day, but do you think in terms of the QB position, Sanchez was 3 times as good as Ben?, cause that is what the QB rating shows.

    And just to ask, as the Colts fans have jumped in to knock Ben down a peg or 2...who is the better postseason QB, Big Ben or Peyton?
    First off 1 Colts fan.

    Secondly Id take Peyton over Ben in heartbeat. I don't really think its difficult to decide who is the better qb between those two.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

    Situational Hitting is Stupid

  15. #74
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,085

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    First off 1 Colts fan.
    1) Eric
    2) Hooiser

  16. #75
    Ha! Idiot. Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,692

    Re: Super Bowl XLV

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    1) Eric
    2) Hooiser - Bengals fan, I thought.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

    Situational Hitting is Stupid


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | redsfan1995 | The Operator