Thread: Prospect #33 Runoff

Prospect #33 Runoff

Mark Fleury or Jake Johnson?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Prospect #33 Runoff

Johnson.

If there is a runoff for a position - like say # 33 - the winner should get # 33, the loser should get # 34 and the next poll should be for number # 35, IMHO. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If there is a runoff for a position - like say # 33 - the winner should get # 33, the loser should get # 34 and the next poll should be for number # 35, IMHO. Just a thought.
    This is a conversation we have ever year. It turns out that when we start the next ballot with the loser of the runoff vote going against the other prospects, the loser of the runoff vote doesn't necessarily win the next poll. Therefore, it's probably a better representation of RedsZone to do it this way.

Johnson, based on the Reds' seeming to fast track him. My only concern is that his IP jumped from 48 to 129 last year.

Johnson. He should probably be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Johnson, based on the Reds' seeming to fast track him. My only concern is that his IP jumped from 48 to 129 last year.
    Don't forget about his high school innings.

Except it didn't. You aren't counting any of the innings he threw in high school in 2009. While the innings aren't the same type of innings, he certainly threw more than 48 innings in 2009.

Edit: Should have read the entire thread. Camisadelgolf covered this.

I thought reports on Johnson were fairly positive as it related to "stuff". Low 90's fastball, decent breaking stuff, work to do on a change-up. Am I remembering him or someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I thought reports on Johnson were fairly positive as it related to "stuff". Low 90's fastball, decent breaking stuff, work to do on a change-up. Am I remembering him or someone else?
    Could be him, though his fastball is more 87-91 rather than low 90's.

I'm curious about Johnson--why are the Reds fast-tracking him? What, specifically, did they see? His numbers don't jump out at me, but apparently there's something there if they're going to move him up at age 20.

He's reputed to be extremely coachable, bright, great makeup, all that sort of thing. Plus, it would seem that his body is pretty mature. It all adds up to just being ready for it, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Except it didn't. You aren't counting any of the innings he threw in high school in 2009. While the innings aren't the same type of innings, he certainly threw more than 48 innings in 2009.

Edit: Should have read the entire thread. Camisadelgolf covered this.
    I did neglect to consider his HS innings. Still, it seems to me that the Reds usually move HS pitchers more slowly.

I did neglect to consider his HS innings. Still, it seems to me that the Reds usually move HS pitchers more slowly.
    It depends on the pitcher. JC Sulbaran went to Dayton in his first full season. So did Kyle Lotzkar. No one did in 2007. Travis Wood did in 2006. Homer Bailey did in 2005. It seems like it is usually 1 guy per season who goes from high school one year to Dayton the next year. But, I think that could be more due to drafting college players earlier than they do high schoolers for the most part.

Turn Off Ads?