Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Nominations are out

Re: Oscar Nominations are out

What will win (this is an easy list to make, considering these have won every major award so far):
    Best Picture - The Social Network
    Best Actor - Colin Firth
    Best Actress - Natalie Portman
    Best Director - David Fincher

What I think should win:
    Best Picture - The Town (how does this not even get a nomination?)
    Best Actor - Colin Firth
    Best Actress - Jennifer Lawrence (Winter's Bone was amazing)
    Best Director - David Fincher

I really don't understand how The Town didn't even get a nomination for Best Picture. Toy Story 3 and Black Swan were great, but I don't see how anyone could think they were better than The Town. Oh well, won't be the first time the Academy really screws the pooch (e.g. 1994, Forrest Gump over The Shawshank Redemption, or 1997, Titanic over L. A. Confidential).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I thought this was an interesting article about the historical accuracy - or lack thereof - of "The King's Speech."

http://www.slate.com/id/2282194/
    Very interesting article.

But this is not surprising. Hollywood always romanticizes history. "A Beautiful Mind" is almost fiction compared to what really happened.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I like a captivating story as much as the next guy. It just didn't live up to the hype that it was getting in my opinion. Its not that I didn't like the main character. I just don't think it was as good as a movie as Inception or any other nominated movie on this list. I don't know, I just don't find a story about a bunch of adolescent college students fighting over an idea that stimulating.

You say that like it was just some idea. That idea was worth $25B and counting. I don't know how old you are but maybe that's it. Maybe it's just not going to resonate with an older audience.

I liked the movie because it seemed fairly realistic. Not in the sense that it was exactly what happened but in the sense that it could have happened like that. There really wasn't a "good guy". They all did what was right in their own eyes, as it often happens in real life.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    You say that like it was just some idea. That idea was worth $25B and counting. I don't know how old you are but maybe that's it. Maybe it's just not going to resonate with an older audience.
    I'm 27 and part of the "Facebook Generation". Einstein's Theory of Relativity is one of the top ten scientific breakthroughs in the last 2000 years but a movie based on how Einstein developed that theory would be rather boring and drawn out. I'm not discounting the fact that the idea of Facebook was wildly successful, just a movie based on the events around it doesn't put it in my best movie list of 2010. It was a good movie, as I have said before, but not worthy of top billing at the Oscars, in my opinion.

I put it in the category of Avatar where it had some stuff going for it and was a decent movie but wasn't my favorite of 09.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The idea is worth $25B today, but there's a total lack of historical perspective on it. The idea is simply too new (relatively speaking), and the ultimate result of the idea is yet undetermined. Will we still be Facebooking in 2020? I highly doubt it. But, I do know that by 2020 there'll be something a lot more interesting to say about Facebook's place in the world than there is right now.

The whole thing, to me, would be like someone in 1997 making a movie about AOL. Back then, AOL was *it* as far as tech went -- tens of millions of people were subscribers, and (at least in college / high school) an AIM / AOL name was as important as a phone number. Now, it's all an interesting footnote in the history of computer development.

Would it make a good movie? Maybe. But I'd rather see "The AOL Story" made in 2010 -- with a full sense of history and perspective with it -- than in 1997 with none.

Just my opinion. The social network was a fantastic movie, but it succeded in spite of it's source material, IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Not to drag this thread off-course, but I have a problem with the whole notion that Facebook is going to alter the course of history (Zuckerberg being Time's Man of the Year and the movie and all that). Are we more in touch? Yes. Does it really make a difference? I don't think so.

And I've been exposed pretty closely to tech start-ups and the personalities that make them successful. Single-minded geeky savants aren't exactly the most wonderful personalities in the world.

Get off my lawn.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I would have loved to see Robert DuVall or Bill Murray sneak in a nomination for Get Low, not to win but just for recognition sake. Oh well.

Just my uninformed thoughts:

The Fighter was fantastic. I thought Christian Bale was great, actually I thought the movie was extremely well acted and casted. Amy Adams was very good but I don't know if I would call it great.

The Kids Are All Right was ok. Just ok.

The Town was a great movie. Jeremy Renner is a very good actor. Only if Mark Wahlberg or Matt Damon had played the main character instead of Aflack. May have garnered a best picture nominee.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Just my uninformed thoughts:

The Fighter was fantastic. I thought Christian Bale was great, actually I thought the movie was extremely well acted and casted. Amy Adams was very good but I don't know if I would call it great.

The Kids Are All Right was ok. Just ok.

The Town was a great movie. Jeremy Renner is a very good actor. Only if Mark Wahlberg or Matt Damon had played the main character instead of Aflack. May have garnered a best picture nominee.

Do you mean that Affleck wasn't good or that Wahlberg or Damon garner more respect from the acting community?

I agree that The Town got snubbed but I also thought that Affleck put in a really good performance.

Nevermind
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 01-26-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Do you mean that Affleck wasn't good or that Wahlberg or Damon garner more respect from the acting community?

I agree that The Town got snubbed but I also thought that Affleck put in a really good performance.
    Just my personal opinion here.

I think Affleck is a bum as an actor. His best performance was in Good Will Hunting, he got a big time name, and has been in movies that just weren't all that good. I thought that he did a nice job of acting in the Town especially since it was a Boston movie. But I think that guys like Mark Wahlburg and Matt Damon who are both from Boston are better actors but play that type cast better. The Fighter and The Departed are two more recent movies where those guys nailed the Boston (Lowell) character.

Don't get me wrong Affleck put up one of his better performances in The Town. I just think the two aforementioned actors are better and do have more weight with the acting community.

Just my personal opinion here.

I think Affleck is a bum as an actor. His best performance was in Good Will Hunting, he got a big time name, and has been in movies that just weren't all that good. I thought that he did a nice job of acting in the Town especially since it was a Boston movie. But I think that guys like Mark Wahlburg and Matt Damon who are both from Boston are better actors but play that type cast better. The Fighter and The Departed are two more recent movies where those guys nailed the Boston (Lowell) character.

Don't get me wrong Affleck put up one of his better performances in The Town. I just think the two aforementioned actors are better and do have more weight with the acting community.
    I agree that Damon is better than both of them but I put Affleck and Wahlburg about the same level. Now I think Ben's little brother may be a better actor than all of them.

I agree that Damon is better than both of them but I put Affleck and Wahlburg about the same level. Now I think Ben's little brother may be a better actor than all of them.
    Agreed, Casey Affleck is better than any of them -- he was unbelievably good in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Gone Baby Gone. I thought Ben Affleck was great in The Town, though. And aside from Boogie Nights, Wahlberg has never really impressed me. He was good in The Departed, but it's not like that was a very complex role or anything.

The Town was a great movie. Only if Mark Wahlberg or Matt Damon had played the main character instead of Aflack. May have garnered a best picture nominee.
    Wahlberg is the only one of the three who doesn't have an Oscar.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Wahlberg is the only one of the three who doesn't have an Oscar.
    Yeah, but he's also the only one who was nominated for a Grammy...

Turn Off Ads?