Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If You Could....(from ORG)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If You Could....(from ORG)

Thread started on the ORG. If you could do one thing in the history of the Reds, what would it be?
    So many individual things to choose from. Making a trade, veto a trade, sign a free agent, make that big draft choice.

Personally, I would be greedy and insist on the best scouting in the majors. So I guess it would not exactly meet the premise.

Imagine, Jeter instead of Motolla. Piazza in the 61st round. Keith Hernandez in the 41st. Nolan Ryan in the 1st instead of Bernie Carbo. Rickey Henderson in the 3rd. Andre Dawson in the 9th.

The list could be very long.

Re: If You Could....(from ORG)

Undo the Frank Robinson trade.

As much as I like Drew Stubbs, I would go back and draft Tim Lincecum instead of him. Imagine this team last year if we had that #1 hammer like him. I think the difference between him and any of our pitching staff last year vs. Stubbs and a potential replacement would have been a no-brainer...

I would have protected Trevor Hoffman in the '92 expansion draft.
    ----------
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, he would have given us stomachs." - David Daye

Forced Marge Schott to sell the team after the 1990 season hoping someone would have purchased it not named Carl Linder.

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    As much as I like Drew Stubbs, I would go back and draft Tim Lincecum instead of him. Imagine this team last year if we had that #1 hammer like him. I think the difference between him and any of our pitching staff last year vs. Stubbs and a potential replacement would have been a no-brainer...

This

Quote Originally Posted by stripedwarrior View Post
    Thread started on the ORG. If you could do one thing in the history of the Reds, what would it be?
    So many individual things to choose from. Making a trade, veto a trade, sign a free agent, make that big draft choice.

Personally, I would be greedy and insist on the best scouting in the majors. So I guess it would not exactly meet the premise.

Imagine, Jeter instead of Motolla. Piazza in the 61st round. Keith Hernandez in the 41st. Nolan Ryan in the 1st instead of Bernie Carbo. Rickey Henderson in the 3rd. Andre Dawson in the 9th.

The list could be very long.
    I dont think scouting had anyhting to do with Piazza, he was drafted as a favor and they struck gold (as far as getign a guy who can hit a ball at least, I still dont buy he was a catcher), dont think it had anything to do with scouting.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Not fire Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    Not fire Sparky Anderson
    Hmm, I was trying to whittle down to one before I responded with mine, but will go with this as well.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Jeter came to mind first,only because I knew front office were advised to draft him .

Tell Bowie Kuhn to stick his "not in the best interest of baseball" clause where the sun don't shine and let the Vida Blue deal go through. With Blue and Seaver, there is a really good chance the Reds would have won the World Series in 1977 and possibly 78

Too many to choose from, so I'll go with one that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Find a way to get Junior in a Reds uniform much sooner.

If I had a second choice, it would have been to not trade Tony Perez after the 1976 season.

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    It would have been to not trade Tony Perez after the 1976 season.
    Yep, we would have won 1 or 2 other World Series.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Since I've started watching baseball, I would've not traded Sean Casey to Pittsburgh, although Sean is my favorite player, and played great down the line for the Tigers, I still wanted him to finish as a Red.
    Let's make some noise!

Turn Off Ads?