Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandal vs. Mesoraco

Grandal vs. Mesoraco

Just curious who people think will be the catcher of the future????

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Grandal vs. Mesoraco

Quote Originally Posted by BLark = HOF View Post
    Just curious who people think will be the catcher of the future????
    IMO it's not even a comparison. Might be better off with a Yasmani vs. Yonder who will be the future 1B?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

-The Insider-

Something I've been wondering as well. I've seen Mes and I assume he'll be able to duplicate close to his 2010 campaign. Can't wait to see Yas though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    IMO it's not even a comparison. Might be better off with a Yasmani vs. Yonder who will be the future 1B?
    What makes you think Grandal will be moved to 1B???

Whoever can become the better defender.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Agreed, in which case, I would have to think that Yasmani has a much better chance of being a regular 1b for the Reds than Yonder. I just don't see the Reds moving Votto after this season, which may in fact be the best course of action for the entire organization. This is Yonder's last option year which means he has to be somewhere in the bigs in 2012. The Reds will either have to deal him at that point or let him rot on the bench if Votto isn't moved. Yasmani will have 3 years to develop on the farm and could be the sensible replacement if Votto is not extended further.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLark = HOF View Post
    What makes you think Grandal will be moved to 1B???
    I don't want to speak for Mario-Rijo, but I think Grandal will be moved to first base because Mesoraco will hopefully be the Reds catcher for at least six more seasons. Mesoraco is supposed to have better defensive tools than Grandal and he is much closer to the major leagues. Mes will have an earlier shot at the bigs and if he sticks, the Reds will need to find a place for Grandal to play. If Grandal was to become the regular 1b, I wonder if they would play him at catcher on Mes's off days. Interesting to think about.

I know Grandal is supposed to have a good bat, but is it good enough to project as a firstbasemen? Being a good hitting catcher and a good hitting 1b are two different things.

If Mes and Grandal both live up to expectations, that would be one hell of a catching tandem. You'd have to think Grandal might even be major trade bait.

I know Grandal is supposed to have a good bat, but is it good enough to project as a firstbasemen? Being a good hitting catcher and a good hitting 1b are two different things.

If Mes and Grandal both live up to expectations, that would be one hell of a catching tandem. You'd have to think Grandal might even be major trade bait.

Resident PED Expert

I believe I read somewhere that Grandal's second position was 3B. Which is the more pressing need. Soto, who is still just 21, is the 1B of the future in my fantasy world "if" Votto leaves.

Gives you something close to...

1B Soto
    2B Cozart/Rodriguez/Negron/Valakia
    3B Grandal
    SS Hamilton/Gregorious
    LF Yorman
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    C Mesoraco

In 2014... I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I believe I read somewhere that Grandal's second position was 3B. Which is the more pressing need. Soto, who is still just 21, is the 1B of the future in my fantasy world "if" Votto leaves.

1B Soto
    3B Grandal
    SS Hamilton/Gregorious
    LF Yorman
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    C Mesoraco

I think this is a solid point. I think the existence of Soto, Grandal and Francisco, who all may end-up at 1B, is just another reason not to worry about three years from now while holding onto Alonso. Alonso was just named the 49th best prospect in baseball. There are a lot of established 1B in the majors and several 1B/DH types ahead of him, so even at 49 I'm a bit unsure of his value, but I'd parlay him into immediate help post haste with the idea that the reds will be able to find a 1B.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sorry for the sidetrack, but to answer the original question, I think catcher of the future is Mesoraco's spot to lose.

I'd like some more info on Grandal. I've seen lots of conflicting stuff, but many of the reports I'd read screamed Javy to me. Others rate him very highly and I think a lot more info is needed to really answer this question. All we really do know is that Mesoraco took a huge step forward to claiming the title in 2010.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post

1B Soto
    3B Grandal
    SS Hamilton/Gregorious
    LF Yorman
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    C Mesoraco

3B, that is an intriguing possibility. Though one of the main reasons for me thinking he may eventually move off of Catcher is his arm doesn't seem to be all that great which if the case might make 3B a non-possibility as well.

I actually believe Todd Frazier is still the future 3B or if he doesn't pan out maybe Junior Arias down the road.

In 2014 I am hoping to see something like this "if" Votto leaves
    Hamilton SS
    Sappelt LF
    Bruce RF
    Stubbs CF
    Grandal or Soto 1B
    Frazier 3B
    Mesoraco C
    Cozart 2B

Fleury C
    Negron MIF
    H. Rodriguez IF
    Heisey OF
    LaMarre OF

About to make the bigs
    Yorman
    Duran
    Arias
    Torreyes
    Barnhart

With Grandal headed out with Soto perhaps to get us a bigger better 1st base bat if neither turn out.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Resident PED Expert

I think once Soto figures out LHP, which is his Achilles Heel so far, 35 HR's is a very real number for him. I could see a .800+ OPS this year, .850 the next and .900+ in 2013. OPS'd .778 this year despite only walking 32 times all year with no real protection in the Lynchburg lineup.

Can Mesoraco play LF?

Turn Off Ads?