Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bavasi says Billy Hamilton will play SS in 2011

Re: Bavasi says Billy Hamilton will play SS in 2011

Barry Larkin just told me that Reds prospect Billy Hamilton might be more athletic than he was! I have to see it to believe it...HOF 12 BL

http://twitter.com/JimBowdenXMFOX

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

I saw Billy from about 50 feet the other day and he's tiny. He looks like a high school kid. Really athletic. I hope I get to meet him and Yaz on Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I saw Billy from about 50 feet the other day and he's tiny. He looks like a high school kid. Really athletic. I hope I get to meet him and Yaz on Thursday

I was watching 30 in 30 last night (Reds) and my boys and I both noticed a "kid" that looked to be in high school standing at first base with some other guys. My 11 year old said what I was thinking..."who is that kid? He looks like someone in high school." I must assume after reading what you said that it was Hamilton.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

-The Insider-

Yea, that was probably him. He was out there the first day they were filming.

Barry Larkin with some high praise for Billy Hamilton.

Barry Larkin is in camp working with mostly minor leagues. He fairly raved about shortstop Billy Hamilton.

“He’s incredibly athletic,” Larkin said. “Great, great athletic ability. He’s smart kid, good personality. He has a great baseball body. Loose arm. He’s young so he’s going to get stronger. Serious ability.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...letic-ability/

This was posted by OBM in the ORG ("initially," that is), from a blog by stringer Gary Schatz, and if it's described accurately, it's an utterly remarkable thing.

"The most impressive play of the day (came from) the young shortstop, Billy Hamilton, who can flat run.

Juan Duran was in leftfield when one of the Diamondback farmhands hit a fly ball to medium deep left field that was drifting toward the foul line. Duran could not find it in the Arizona high sky with no clouds. Hamilton ran it down from his shortstop position and caught it, diving head first with his back to the infield.

As much baseball I've seen in my lifetime that was as impressive as anything."

http://fullofschatz.blogspot.com/201...y-off-but.html

KLaw posted some thoughts on some Reds prospects (Insider content) today and one thing he was very clear on was his belief that Hamilton needs to get stronger.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?...ith&id=6223173

John Fay on Billy Hamilton:

I was out on the back fields watching a little minor league batting practice this morning and heard a great story about Billy Hamilton from Billy Doran, the Reds’ assistant field coordinator.

“We were playing on this field the other day. The left fielder just lost a ball,” Doran said. “Billy took off. We were all like, ‘what’s he doing?’ He caught the ball over his shoulder, about 10 feet from warning track.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...billy-the-kid/

Man I wish I could have seen that. That's some serious range.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

The more that I thought about it, I am wondering if he is referring to the warning track by the foul line, not the warning track by the wall that keeps the ball from being a HR.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The more that I thought about it, I am wondering if he is referring to the warning track by the foul line, not the warning track by the wall that keeps the ball from being a HR.
    That's what I'm thinking too. If it was the outfield track, that's gotta be the greatest catch ever.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

A guy over on Doug's website was at that game and says Hamilton caught the ball at the outfield warning track, not the foul track. That's absolutely amazing. Man I wish that was on video.

The same guy says Juan Duran looked really good at the plate.

Here's the post:

http://redsminorleagues.com/2011/03/...-and-notes-45/

I honestly can't fathom that situation.

Yea video of this REALLY needs to surface. Is Hamilton's immediate reaction to any flyball to sprint to the warning track? Any hesitation and I can't imagine him even coming close...I can't honestly imagine him even coming close regardless of the jump he got. I guess I'll file this away in the hopefully growing cabinet of Billy Hamilton folklore.

Jim Coombs took a home run away once by reaching over the center-field fence. BTW, Coombs was catching that day.

I'm sorry, there's just no way I can believe that story. It doesn't even sound humanly possible.

Turn Off Ads?