Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bavasi says Billy Hamilton will play SS in 2011

Re: Bavasi says Billy Hamilton will play SS in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Yea video of this REALLY needs to surface. Is Hamilton's immediate reaction to any flyball to sprint to the warning track? Any hesitation and I can't imagine him even coming close...I can't honestly imagine him even coming close regardless of the jump he got. I guess I'll file this away in the hopefully growing cabinet of Billy Hamilton folklore.
    One way to find out for sure, I can't imagine Bill Doran would BS anyone. There are enough insiders down here on the minor league forum that could likely speak to Doran or someone else who was there.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Jim Coombs took a home run away once by reaching over the center-field fence. BTW, Coombs was catching that day.
    Well it all started when Jim Coombs felt sorry for the batter, and left a hanging breaking ball over the plate to get a good swing. As he was running b/w the mound and home plate, changing into his catchers gear, he noticed the child in the first row that had seen Coombs play for the first time that day. Not wanting to dissapoint the child, he quickly shifted gears, throw off the catchers mask, ran into the dugout to grab an outfielders glove, and hustled out to center field to bring back the potential home run ball. He then ran over to the young child, begged for his forgiveness and promised to never take mercy on another opponent again in fear of dissapointed another fan who was there to see him for the first time. He then went out and hit 3 home runs the next inning.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Well it all started when Jim Coombs felt sorry for the batter, and left a hanging breaking ball over the plate to get a good swing. As he was running b/w the mound and home plate, changing into his catchers gear, he noticed the child in the first row that had seen Coombs play for the first time that day. Not wanting to dissapoint the child, he quickly shifted gears, throw off the catchers mask, ran into the dugout to grab an outfielders glove, and hustled out to center field to bring back the potential home run ball. He then ran over to the young child, begged for his forgiveness and promised to never take mercy on another opponent again in fear of dissapointed another fan who was there to see him for the first time. He then went out and hit 3 home runs the next inning.
    And now I know the rest of the story. Thanks.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

"Can play shortstop" isn't exactly a glowing review, gents (and ladies). I'm sure Billy Hamilton could be a fill-in SS when he reaches the Majors, but does anyone really doubt he will be a second baseman eventually? I already have him penned in as Brandon Phillips' replacement. I think the Reds will pick up Phillips' option for 2012 and then Hamilton will take over in '13 as the starting 2B.

I think it will come down to who the better shortstop is between Cozart and Hamilton. There is no reason in the world Hamilton should move off of shortstop any time soon though.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    "Can play shortstop" isn't exactly a glowing review, gents (and ladies). I'm sure Billy Hamilton could be a fill-in SS when he reaches the Majors, but does anyone really doubt he will be a second baseman eventually? I already have him penned in as Brandon Phillips' replacement. I think the Reds will pick up Phillips' option for 2012 and then Hamilton will take over in '13 as the starting 2B.
    No way that happens.

He'll likely be in Low-A in 2011. Then 2012 he'll be in High-A. I would guess 2013 at the earliest, and by that I mean September call-up.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    No way that happens.

He'll likely be in Low-A in 2011. Then 2012 he'll be in High-A. I would guess 2013 at the earliest, and by that I mean September call-up.
    Depens no how he progresses. I wouldn't be surprised to see him spend a full season in Dayton this year, then get the stubbs/Bruce treatment and go from High A, to AA, to AAA next season, if he continues to put up solid numbers. I'd personally like to see at least 1 more season of minor league ball in there, but Brandon's contract could be the determining factor.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Depens no how he progresses. I wouldn't be surprised to see him spend a full season in Dayton this year, then get the stubbs/Bruce treatment and go from High A, to AA, to AAA next season, if he continues to put up solid numbers. I'd personally like to see at least 1 more season of minor league ball in there, but Brandon's contract could be the determining factor.
    That's possible. Despite being with the Reds system for now three years, I'm still not too sure how they move their prospects (fast or slow.) From what I heard in 2009 it was rather slow, but maybe things have changed since then. (Leake, Jordan going from Double-A to bigs, and Sapp going from A ball to Trips in a year.)

Turn Off Ads?