Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nationals Designate Justin Maxwell For Assignment

Nationals Designate Justin Maxwell For Assignment

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Nationals Designate Justin Maxwell For Assignment
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 27 at 12:42pm CST]
    The Nationals announced that they designated Justin Maxwell for assignment (Twitter link). The 27-year-old outfielder has showed promise throughout his pro career, but has yet to enjoy sustained success in the major leagues. Back in September, Nats manager Jim Riggleman told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that he still had high hopes for Maxwell.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nationals Designate Justin Maxwell For Assignment

Would he be a good player to claim off waivers from the Nationals? MLBTraderumors also said this about him.
    "Maxwell has a .201/.319/.379 line in 260 big league plate appearances and a .261/.357/.442 line in 1778 minor league plate appearances. He has shown speed on the basepaths and the ability to play all three outfield positions"

I'd take a flyer on him and make room on the 40 man for him. Deal Danny Rae and some fringe kids if it comes them losing him on waivers. I wouldn't get into a bidding war, but the Reds could use a guy like him in AAA and there are enough interchangeable bullpen guys on the roster, dealing one for him would be just fine IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'd argue that Heisey, Hermida, Sappelt, or Dorn would all be better options and available in AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd argue that Heisey, Hermida, Sappelt, or Dorn would all be better options and available in AAA.
    And really no one else until you get down to Lamarre. It wouldn't hurt to add another. Maxwell had an .829 OPS in AAA last year, runs better than all of those but Sappelt, fields better than Hermida or Dorn and really doesn't hurt a thing to have him on board. He's got a better chance to contribute than having 15 guys who look like 12th man on the staff types.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds take a chance on him. He was a solid prospect at one time.

This was on the Washington Nationals forum.

http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,21055.125.html

DFA means they are reassigned to a minor league team and removed from the 40 man roster. In order to remove him from the 40 man, they must expose him to waivers. Since he still has options left (1 if I am counting right), he could be sent to the minors without a DFA, which means that he would still be on the 40 man.

Looks like to me he was first called up in 2007, and was up in 2008, 2009, and 2010. how many times has he been sent down? 2008 and 2009 for sure. It looks like he was not added to the roster until 9/07, so I agree it looks like he has one more option.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 01-27-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added more info from Nationals board.

Where's he going to play? Alonso is at 1B, Sappelt in LF, Barton is in CF. Unless, of course, Heisey drops down. Or Hermida. Dorn is the DH.

Is he better than any of these guys? If not, let him go.

Some said he was hurt some and could have been put on the 60 day DL. Does anyone know what injury he might have? When can you start putting players on 60 day DL? If he has any options left it would make any pickup of him less risky.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    This was on the Washington Nationals forum.

http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,21055.125.html

DFA means they are reassigned to a minor league team and removed from the 40 man roster. In order to remove him from the 40 man, they must expose him to waivers. Since he still has options left (1 if I am counting right), he could be sent to the minors without a DFA, which means that he would still be on the 40 man.
    That's partly correct.

DFA means they have 10 days to trade, release, or outright him to the minor leagues (taking him off the 40 but keeping him in Triple-A)

-The Insider-

They needed to immediately clear a spot for recently signed Todd Coffey, so they took Maxwell off the 40 by designating him for assignment.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...s_was&c_id=was

Maxwell designated for assignment by Nats
    By Bill Ladson / MLB.com | 01/27/11 3:15 PM EST

The Nats have 10 days to trade Maxwell, reassign him to the Minor Leagues or release him.

Maxwell had his worst season in 2010, hitting .144 with three home runs and 12 RBIs during four Major League stints with Washington. He ended up having Tommy John surgery after the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Where's he going to play? Alonso is at 1B, Sappelt in LF, Barton is in CF. Unless, of course, Heisey drops down. Or Hermida. Dorn is the DH.

Is he better than any of these guys? If not, let him go.
    Get him on the roster and then worry about it. What are the Reds going to do with all those relievers? The Reds have a real shaky situation in LF on the major league team. I like Sappelt OK, but there isn't an obvious answer in the high minors. Another candidate for LF is a better use of a 40 man spot than some middle reliever who is 7th or 8th in line to be the 12th man on the staff. Its especially true when 12th man on the staff is the pitcher's ceiling. That is what the Reds have with Herrera, Smith, Fisher, Ondrusek, Lecure, Valiquette, Thompson, Maloney etc. Guys like Willis, Horst, Krebs, Boxberger, Joseph, Gil, Freeman, Walker, and Thurman are all around to make sure that the Reds don't have a shortage of mop-up men should the need arise.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...s_was&c_id=was

Maxwell designated for assignment by Nats
    By Bill Ladson / MLB.com | 01/27/11 3:15 PM EST

The Nats have 10 days to trade Maxwell, reassign him to the Minor Leagues or release him.

Maxwell had his worst season in 2010, hitting .144 with three home runs and 12 RBIs during four Major League stints with Washington. He ended up having Tommy John surgery after the season.
    That' what I said?

Justin Maxwell was traded to the Yankees.

Turn Off Ads?