Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the idea of a website dying?

Is the idea of a website dying?

Obviosly several billion websites aren't just going to vanish, but does big business concentrate more on their website or more on their facebook page?

I'm a web developer, have been for about 15 years. And I have been noticing how strong the social marketing movement has become. It seems the very best way to directly communicate with customers is via facebook and twitter, with the nod to facebook as the leader. What I find interesting is integrating social networking tools into a website isn't overly difficult, especially for larger companies that can afford a few good programmers. But they don't do it. Not only is it easier to just use facebook, it makes more sense from a profit standpoint. A company would be remiss NOT to have a facebook page. probably 50% of the information considered "news" about an organization would be disseminated quicker via facebook and twitter than by it's homepage.

And this model really works for ALL websites. News, Ecommerce, education etc.

I used to have a facebook page, and dropped it because it ate up so much of my time. It can be addicting, kinda like Redszone except with farms.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is the idea of a website dying?

I think you're onto something. Everyone has a FB now, and yeah, it does seem easier to update.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

We are spending huge amounts of cash on a new Portal, services and consumer facing businesses need a toolbox to service the consumer.

Facebook can't even touch the functionality required to run a business on the web, it's basically a revolving billboard.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    . A company would be remiss NOT to have a facebook page. probably 50% of the information considered "news" about an organization would be disseminated quicker via facebook and twitter than by it's homepage.
    The problem, though, is that social media diminishes in it's primary value (being social with friends / collegues) the more it gets cluttered with business and advertising garbage.

There will eventually be a tipping point where peolpe start moving away from things like Facebook and Twitter when they become overly congested.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    We are spending huge amounts of cash on a new Portal, services and consumer facing businesses need a toolbox to service the consumer.

Facebook can't even touch the functionality required to run a business on the web, it's basically a revolving billboard.
    +1

Facebook is good for a presence and a "me too" thing and pointers to the real websites.

But Facebook is awfully lightweight when it comes to real e-commerce needs. At my last job, we took a deep dive look at Facebook for a possible corporate usage and there just wasn't much there. Not to say they won't put it in in the future, but it's like woy said, a revolving billboard.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I don't think it can replace the functionality of commercial ecommerce software. I do think businesses are using it to promote their products more than they use their websites to do it, which is a sharp contrast to, say, 5 years ago.

The college i work for is trying to do a lot of their promotion around facebook, something i resisted at first.

It seems to me, the company website is now the backend, with social media sites the public face, at least for now. The industry trends change so quickly that if you become involved in designing an application, you can miss some stuff if you don't pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The problem, though, is that social media diminishes in it's primary value (being social with friends / collegues) the more it gets cluttered with business and advertising garbage.

There will eventually be a tipping point where peolpe start moving away from things like Facebook and Twitter when they become overly congested.
    I'd say Twitter is overly congested now. That and it's a powerful direct mail marketing tool, even if the marketing seems to lead towards personalities rather than products.

So Chad whatever the heck his last name is now, tweets to his thousands of followers that he's changing his name back to Johnson. More than a few of those followers will be looking to be the first to get the new jersey. A ripple effect.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I don't think it can replace the functionality of commercial ecommerce software. I do think businesses are using it to promote their products more than they use their websites to do it, which is a sharp contrast to, say, 5 years ago.

The college i work for is trying to do a lot of their promotion around facebook, something i resisted at first.

It seems to me, the company website is now the backend, with social media sites the public face, at least for now. The industry trends change so quickly that if you become involved in designing an application, you can miss some stuff if you don't pay attention.
    Yeah, Facebook is the big thing now so everyone wants to have a presence there. You'd be stupid not to.

To me though, it has a feel of a square peg in a round hole when it comes to businesses and products. It works well for people and personalities, but a FB page for Tide HE just doens't work well for me. Its all a flat structure that will get incresingly harder to navigate. Kinda like the .com domain.

Like CE said, it may reach a tipping point where its all too clogged and convoluted, like what happened to MySpace.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

MySpace fell, IMO due to a complete lack of standards. It was cool if you were 15 right up until you couldn't read it.

Maybe dying was the wrong word. Evolving is better, and it is evolving faster than i expected. If Facebook manages to integrate an e-commerce package with some robust functionality, smaller sites will gravitate to it. I may not want to be friends with Tide HE, but I might want to be friends with Tascosa Hot Sauce. It would be a place to exchange recipes and purchase the product. Skyline Chili, could be another example.

Retired

I work for a Fortune 10 company, and for us the website is still king. We don't use facebook, or twitter. They have all kinds of custom portals and just about everything you could imagine. But, since the company is so large, they can afford to spend tens of millions of dollars on IT, and they do. Nothing is outsourced, we have internal staff for it.

I agree.

I remember for the longest time you couldn't even register for facebook unless you had an active .edu email address. I was glad they relinquished those requirements because I had a lot of friends who chose not to go to college.

But, all of the "Farmville" and "Mafia Wars" and things like that, not to mention all the corporate stuff flooding onto it daily, it's becoming less and less fun to use.

It also got a little bit weird when my mom started asking me how to make a facebook page. :
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    It also got a little bit weird when my mom started asking me how to make a facebook page. :
    Or when I got my first friend request from a superior at work / judge I practice in front of.

Thank you, privacy settings.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Or when I got my first friend request from a superior at work / judge I practice in front of.

Thank you, privacy settings.
    In my case student friend requests are a problem. Former students who are now adults I will gladly "friend," but there are real ethical concerns with current ones.

You hit the nail on the head there. That's why facebook and twitter became what they became and why something else will replace them just as quickly.

People hate ads. The more they can get away from them, the better. They will always move towards the place with fewer ads. And, of course, the ads will always follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I work for a Fortune 10 company, and for us the website is still king. We don't use facebook, or twitter. They have all kinds of custom portals and just about everything you could imagine. But, since the company is so large, they can afford to spend tens of millions of dollars on IT, and they do. Nothing is outsourced, we have internal staff for it.
    Since you live in Cincinnati, I wonder who that could be? Hmmm.

Turn Off Ads?