Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Reds Invite 14 to camp

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,871

    Reds Invite 14 to camp

    The Cincinnati Reds have invited right-handed pitchers Scott Carroll, Jerry Gil, Matt Klinker, Justin Lehr, Chad Reinke, left-handed pitchers Dontrelle Willis, Jeremy Horst, Donnie Joseph, catchers Chris Denove, Devin Mesoraco, Corky Miller, outfielders Jeremy Hermida, Danny Dorn, and Dave Sappelt all to major league spring training.

  2. #2
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,843

    Re: Reds Invite 14 to camp

    Biggest surprises for me, Scott Carroll and Danny Dorn. Glad to see Dorn at least get a bit if a look. Reds need lefty bats and he's been pretty good throughout the minors. Wish he could play 3B.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  3. #3
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,871

    Re: Reds Invite 14 to camp

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Biggest surprises for me, Scott Carroll and Danny Dorn. Glad to see Dorn at least get a bit if a look. Reds need lefty bats and he's been pretty good throughout the minors. Wish he could play 3B.
    I'm not surprised about Carroll. He had good numbers and probably just missed being added to the 40-man roster this off-season. If he puts up the same or better numbers this season, the Reds may be forced to give him a look.

  4. #4
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,843

    Re: Reds Invite 14 to camp

    Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I'm not surprised about Carroll. He had good numbers and probably just missed being added to the 40-man roster this off-season. If he puts up the same or better numbers this season, the Reds may be forced to give him a look.
    I'm guessing Carroll is getting a look to see if he can help later in the year if the Reds feel the need to make a deal for one of their starters. As of now, he's no better than 10th on the depth chart (and probably behind Klinker, Reinecke and maybe Lehr which would make him 12th or 13th). If the Reds should decide Chapman is in the pen to stay, Lecure is the long reliever and feel the need to deal a package including somebody like Leake and Maloney, the team could suddenly be relying on Klinker, Carroll and Lehr as the spot starters.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  5. #5
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,488

    Re: Reds Invite 14 to camp

    Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I'm not surprised about Carroll. He had good numbers and probably just missed being added to the 40-man roster this off-season. If he puts up the same or better numbers this season, the Reds may be forced to give him a look.
    That and I think he could really transition well to the bullpen. He hits 94/95 out of the rotation at times. If he came out of the pen, he may be able to get a little extra and that kind of arm can really play well out of the pen.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    22

    Re: Reds Invite 14 to camp

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That and I think he could really transition well to the bullpen. He hits 94/95 out of the rotation at times. If he came out of the pen, he may be able to get a little extra and that kind of arm can really play well out of the pen.
    And his number of ground ball outs is high, which would make sense out of the pen as well.

    But, I may be biased just a little.

  7. #7
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Reds Invite 14 to camp

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That and I think he could really transition well to the bullpen. He hits 94/95 out of the rotation at times. If he came out of the pen, he may be able to get a little extra and that kind of arm can really play well out of the pen.
    Intriguing, what else is Carroll throwing these day? How is his command/control and does he have any red flags to be concerned with?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  8. #8
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,871

    Re: Reds Invite 14 to camp

    Right. You can never have enough pitchers. He could get a shot in September if he has a good year or if they have an injury bug.

  9. #9
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: Reds Invite 14 to camp

    Found it odd that Barton did not receive an invite to camp.

    I, like many of you figured he would get a shot at that 5th OF position when he was signed.

    Guess the Lewis signing pushed him down the pecking order.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  10. #10
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,684

    Re: Reds Invite 14 to camp

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Found it odd that Barton did not receive an invite to camp.

    I, like many of you figured he would get a shot at that 5th OF position when he was signed.

    Guess the Lewis signing pushed him down the pecking order.
    Considering that the minor and major league complexes are on the same site, it's really not that big of difference being a non-roster player or not. Maybe a jersey with your name on it and a nicer food spread in the clubhouse.

    Every spring plenty of minor leaguers not on the official non-roster invitee list play in big league games. And while Barton doesn't have much of chance making the opening day roster, he probably will be one of the first call ups if there is an injury.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  11. #11
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,871

    Re: Reds Invite 14 to camp

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Considering that the minor and major league complexes are on the same site, it's really not that big of difference being a non-roster player or not. Maybe a jersey with your name on it and a nicer food spread in the clubhouse.

    Every spring plenty of minor leaguers not on the official non-roster invitee list play in big league games. And while Barton doesn't have much of chance making the opening day roster, he probably will be one of the first call ups if there is an injury.
    And potentially making $1,000 a week while in big league camp.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,138

    Re: Reds Invite 14 to camp

    Glad they're giving Sappelt a look. Would really like for him to have a good camp.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  13. #13
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,843

    Re: Reds Invite 14 to camp

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Glad they're giving Sappelt a look. Would really like for him to have a good camp.
    Since LF is now basically becoming the lead-off spot, I'd love to see Sappelt or Heisey take the RH half of the job with Lewis (maybe in more than a straight platoon with Heisey or Sappelt getting some starts against RHP). That would allow the team to deal Gomes to some team looking for low in the order RH punch (which the Reds have in ample supply with Phillips and Stubbs) and free the $1.75 Million on Gomes contract for a deadline deal. Getting a 10 to 15 range prospect at a position where the organization is a bit thin in the deal would be a nice move IMO and clear a bench spot for a LH bat.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  14. #14
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    Posts
    2,283

    Re: Reds Invite 14 to camp

    I'm not extremely knowledgeable of the Reds system, however I do know of, or have at least heard the names of, most of the top 30-40 prospects. Why have I never heard Scott Carroll's name until now? Or have I just happened to miss it?

    320
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

  15. #15
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,871

    Re: Reds Invite 14 to camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    I'm not extremely knowledgeable of the Reds system, however I do know of, or have at least heard the names of, most of the top 30-40 prospects. Why have I never heard Scott Carroll's name until now? Or have I just happened to miss it?

    320
    He's not a well-known "prospect" but he put up good numbers between Single-A Lynchburg and Double-A Carolina. He should start back 2011 with the Mudcats.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25