Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangers-Yankees cat fight

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rangers-Yankees cat fight

The Rangers and Yankees have been trading jabs the past few weeks, and Yankees' President Randy Levine just upped the ante a bit with his latest comments...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Levine
    "I think Chuck is delusional," Levine told ESPNewYork.com. "He has been running the Rangers for a few minutes and seems to believe he's mastered what everyone else is thinking. I think he should let Cliff Lee speak for himself. I'll be impressed when he demonstrates he can keep the Rangers off welfare. What I mean is make them not be a revenue-sharing recipient for three years in a row, without taking financing from baseball or advance money from television networks. Then I'll be impressed."
    Rangers Owner 'Delusional'
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Re: Rangers-Yankees cat fight

Yikes. Some of what he said makes some sense but I loathe The Yankees, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Greenberg may be overstating the importance of the role, if any, that the Rangers made in Lee landing in Philly, but that is certainly not "delusional." I think his reasoning is very plausible.

On the other hand, Levine is pompous and reminds everyone with his "welfare" comment why everyone has, does, and will until there are major changes in revenue distribution, hate the Yankees.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I don't understand how the Yankees can be upset with the Rangers for staying in the hunt for Lee even when their hopes seemed dim. Ultimately it was Lee's (and his wife and agent's) decision. Leave it to the Yankee's mindset to expect their money to bring them their expected reward.

Phew! I do not like the Yankees and am happy the Rangers have brought another player into the field of competition for big name players.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

From what Cashman said last week he had a pretty good feeling the Yankees were going to sign Lee, they had more money on the table than any other team. Cashman felt his conversations had been good with Lee and his agent up until the last week when the Phillies snuck in and made their pitch. Cashman asked Yankees ownership to pull the offer which they declined to do. I think you are now seeing a power struggle at the top of the Yankees organization where Levine is starting to try and get in on the spotlight.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

the yankees? I can take 'em or leave 'em. As much as I'd like to totally dislike them I can't help but wish our Reds were in a position to be just as hated by so many but I digress...

I like all the comments/jabs because sometimes the front office types are a little too vanilla and this spices things up a bit. I kinda understand Levine's perspective but using the word "welfare" really upped the ante on this little spat. Btw has the Yankee camp gone completely crazy since the boss passed? It seems every day we get a new mostly unnecessary comment from Cashman, Levine, or the Steinbrenner's.

like sand through an hour glass....

if George was nothing else, you knew where the buck stopped. Perhaps that isn't the case anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    From what Cashman said last week he had a pretty good feeling the Yankees were going to sign Lee, they had more money on the table than any other team. Cashman felt his conversations had been good with Lee and his agent up until the last week when the Phillies snuck in and made their pitch. Cashman asked Yankees ownership to pull the offer which they declined to do. I think you are now seeing a power struggle at the top of the Yankees organization where Levine is starting to try and get in on the spotlight.
    Cashman also didn't support the Soriano signing, and said as much at Soriano's press conference. He's definitely not working well with the new Yankee leadership.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Cashman also didn't support the Soriano signing, and said as much at Soriano's press conference. He's definitely not working well with the new Yankee leadership.
    Welcome to the world of nepotism. A succession plan involving a family member fails much more often than it succeeds.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Welcome to the world of nepotism. A succession plan involving a family member fails much more often than it succeeds.
    This is simply not true. Example: It's worked out quite well for the Bengals.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    This is simply not true. Example: It's worked out quite well for the Bengals.
    You forgot your smiley.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

It's not easy to compete with the Jets for headlines.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    It's a little easier now.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    All Levine needs to do is get a "foot fetish" and he can get plenty of headlines.....
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

If nothing else, it provides for some off-season entertainment.

Turn Off Ads?