Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firemen vs. Closers

Re: Firemen vs. Closers

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The stat hasn't changed since 1969, when it was created.
    That is incorrect. You should know better, WOY.

The rule has changed not once but twice since 1969; once in 1973 and once in 1975. It's much harder now to get credited with a save.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Save

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That is incorrect. You should know better, WOY.

The rule has changed not once but twice since 1969; once in 1973 and once in 1975. It's much harder now to get credited with a save.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Save
    Correct, my bad, established in 69, and retrofitted to what we have now 6 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Theoretically, Chapman's outings could be planned. He pitches the seventh, eighth, and ninth innings (depending on pitch counts) every third or fourth day, depending on starter effectiveness. Obviously, if Wood, for example, was throwing a three-hit shutout, he'd stay in, but, for the most part, three innings would be left for relievers.

That would keep him from overextending his arm or appearing too frequently (as he'd pretty much be on a strict regimen of appearance, two/ three days' rest, then work again throughout the season, when off-days and starting pitchers are added).

What's the harm in that?
    The harm is that we want him pitching in high leverage situations so that the mop-up guys don't have to. You can't really plan those in advance and if he's to be used in such a manner it defeats the significant advantage of having him on the staff at all. Just stick him in AAA if this is the plan because he'd cause such a problem with the bullpen usage that he'd actually hurt the team by being there.

I'm all for some 2 or 3 inning stints, but do it when the situation calls for it. He could still get 100 innings in. I want to win in 2011. I want Chapman available to come in and get a K or 2 with 1 out in the 8th and tying and winning runs on base. The predetermined innings days defeats that entirely.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Borbon = Scary Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports Illustrated Vault
    After a Mets-Reds brawl Cincinnati reliever Pedro Borbon (below) mistakenly picks up the cap of New York's Buzz Capra. When he realizes what he's wearing, Borbon takes a bite out of the bill and spits it onto the ground. And so begins a series of incidents that will earn Borbon the nickname Dominican Dracula. In a '74 fight he bites Pirates pitcher Daryl Patterson on the ear. Asked if Patterson should get a tetanus shot, Borbon says, "No, a rabies shot." Later in his career Borbon would be arrested for biting the chest of a Cincinnati disco bouncer and fined $200 for returning several pieces of rental furniture with teeth marks in them.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...#ixzz1CfM7NwQa
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?