Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter storm

Winter storm

Since I'd imagine a good majority of Redszone lives in the Midwest, I figured I'd start a thread about this monster winter storm that's about to impact most of the country... what are most of you expecting? I live near Springfield, Ohio, and have seen some forecasts predicting us to get .5 an inch of ice or more, depending on exactly where the storm treks and how much rain mixes in. Scary thought .

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Winter storm

As per usual every Cincinnati forecaster has a unique prediction. We are getting anything from two days of rain to the mother of all ice storms depending on who you trust.

I heard Chicago is going to get hit hard. Who knows about Cincy.

I had a friend pass away from a car accident earlier this month as a result of someone losing control of their car on the snow on I-75. I used to never worry about driving in bad weather, but now I'm dreading it and worry about everyone I know driving in it. I just want this winter to be over.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I had a friend pass away from a car accident earlier this month as a result of someone losing control of their car on the snow on I-75. I used to never worry about driving in bad weather, but now I'm dreading it and worry about everyone I know driving in it. I just want this winter to be over.
    So sorry to hear about that Jimbo. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I live in Terre Haute, In. We are expecting 1 1/2 to 2 inches of ice, but about and inch or two of snow. A town 10 miles to the north is expecting 10 to 12 inches of snow over that ice. Hope that line holds.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

They're calling for a dangerous blizzard, up to 18 inches here in Chicago starting Tuesday afternoon. :thumbdown

Up to a half an inch of ice, then anything from 3 to 18 inches of snow here. Blizzard warnings for the neighboring due-west of us county

Anywhere from 10-15 inches here. I'll be working from home Wednesday, and possibly Thursday, since the road crews probably won't have cleared everything (major budget cutbacks, etc). My commute is 50+ miles each way, so I tend to be a bit more cautious about these type of things.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I live in Terre Haute, In. We are expecting 1 1/2 to 2 inches of ice, but about and inch or two of snow. A town 10 miles to the north is expecting 10 to 12 inches of snow over that ice. Hope that line holds.
    I'd rather have snow than ice. Worst storm of my adult life was one of those sleet storms in North Carolina.
    I'm just east of you 919191- Marsh's grocery is packed.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    My dad died of a heart attack in the car on the side of the highway while driving in about 8 inches of snow. The ambulance couldn't get to him because traffic was a parking lot on the highway.

So I am with you, I never used to car about driving in this stuff. Ever since that happened, and I'm paranoid.

For those of you that have lost someone due to this type of weather, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I lost a cousin last January in a car crash on a wintry day, and we also had a family friend lose her life in a car accident on the higway.

Sorry to hear the sad stories on this thread. A lot of schools have called off in the central Ohio area. If you can work from home, I suggest to do it.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Woke up this morning to ice covering absolutely everything, and this was only the first batch of the storm, with much more to come. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see massive power outages in the area with the winds expected to pick up as they are.

Chicago is already starting to shut down. Probably for the best. Here is what we have to look forward to:

A blizzard warning of 24 hours duration includes the likelihood of snowfalls of up to 20 inches and in some places even more, wind gusts of up to 60 mph creating whiteout conditions making travel nearly impossible, lakefront flooding and perhaps prolonged power outages.

Turn Off Ads?