Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dave Sappelt

Re: Dave Sappelt

Kudos to Doug for finding this - one writer is very high on Dave Sappelt...

I believe that Sappelt's peak output would be a triple slash of .310 / .365 / .490 while sprinkling in about 25 stolen bases. The real wild card there are his swipes, as he has all the ability to steal 40+ if he gets his base running fundementals a bit more solidified.
    Check out the whole piece...
    http://milbnews.com/content/deep-imp...incinnati-reds
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sappelt definitely gets the most out of his frame. I am still impressed at how this kid has put himself on the map like he has in one summer.

My favorite thing about Sappelt is that he swings with bad intentions. He tried to murder the baseball every time he swings.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My favorite thing about Sappelt is that he swings with bad intentions. He tried to murder the baseball every time he swings.
    It seems scouts generally frown on little guys swinging so hard. That was always the knack on Pedroia. He swung so hard that major league pitchers would own him. Guess a bunch of people missed there.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It seems scouts generally frown on little guys swinging so hard. That was always the knack on Pedroia. He swung so hard that major league pitchers would own him. Guess a bunch of people missed there.
    Kinda reminds me of Kirby Puckett.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    Kinda reminds me of Kirby Puckett.
    Watch out. I got flamed the last time I mentioned Puckett (RIP) and Sappelt in the same sentence.

Sappelt won't ever be half the baseball player Puckett is, but you won't find anyone more similar to Puckett in the Reds organization than Sappelt. That's just how special he was.

Sappelt needs to continue his success this season before he gets into any discussions, IMO.

camisadelgolf, I got ridiculed when I posted that a Reds instructor told me that Sappelt fit the same profile as Norris Hopper. Norris did win a Triple-A batting title and did hit over .300 for a season in the big leagues.

Sappelt will be interesting to watch this season. He is a good example of how those of us in minor league cities can't make permanent judgements on players based on what we see when the player is in our town. When I saw Sappelt in 2009, he was a lead-off hitter with a .322 on-base percentage who couldn't throw, was fast but didn't know how to run the bases, and made spectacular plays in center field. His on-base percentage in Carolina in 2010 was .416 and I am sure he was still making the plays in center. His base stealing numbers tell me he still has a ways to go there. Not sure how he is throwing these days but players generally don't make big improvements in that area. Interesting guy.

I have thought for a while that Sappelt would have to move to left because of his arm, that guys would go first-to-third on him too much to play him in center in the big leagues, but others are saying no, if you move him out of center, you are taking away what he does best. He either has to develop the arm to play center, or he can't play.

He gets a chance to show Dusty in spring training that he is a guy who can help when help is needed. The base running will be critical. A guy who makes mental mistakes on the bases and is a fringe guy to begin with usually gets a quick trip back to Triple-A. Big league managers just don't put up with it. And it is not just base stealing. It is understanding that you can't get thrown out at third with no outs in the ninth trailing by two runs. Sappelt really struggled with that. Eric Davis' philosophy with Sappelt in the lower minors was to run, run, run, every chance he got, and worry about learning when to run (and when not to run) when he got more experienced. Hopefully he has developed in this area.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I might've been one of the people who criticized you for the Norris Hopper comparison. Hopper was a singles-only hitter, and the biggest difference between the two is that Sappelt can drive the ball to the gap. The other thing I had a problem with is your thoughts on Sappelt's arm. You've probably seen Sappelt more than I have, but I never saw his arm as a problem. It's certainly not above average, but his other skills more than compensate.

The Hopper comparison was not mine, it came from a pretty credible source. I still remember the conversation. I brought up the two guys and he said, "I actually thought Norris was pretty good, but yes, they are the same type of player." He was saying that Sappelt had a ways to go to get to where Hopper had been.

Hopefully Sappelt has improved his arm. When he was in Dayton, on any single to the right of straight-away center, it was going to be an easy first-to-third advancement for the baserunner. With no outs or one out, that is a big base to give up. When Means came in, they started playing Sappelt in left for that reason.

He can compensate a bit by playing more shallow, and he doesn't have to be able to throw people out, but he at least has to be able to keep runners honest or his pitchers at the big league level will be screaming bloody murder every time they allow a run that is fueled by an extra base being taken on his arm.

Outfield arm strength is not something you hear a lot of talk about unless you are referencing a guy who is throwing people out. But it quietly plays into the game. If a guy can't throw, and a runner takes an extra base on him, hardly anyone in the stands notices, but the manager who is making out the lineup sees it every time.

On that note, I recall a game in 2009. At the time, the Dayton club had an outfield full of weak arms with Sappelt, Wiley, and either Brown or Stovall. The only outfielder they had who could throw was Menchaca, and he was about to be released. It was the first meeting of the year between Dayton and Beloit and Dayton was about to take infield. The Dayton manager noticed that the Beloit manager was sitting by himself in the dugout to watch, probably to make some mental notes on Dayton's outfield arms. When he saw that manager sitting there, he canceled infield. He did not want the Beloit manager to see the Dayton outfielders' arms going into a series.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Watch out. I got flamed the last time I mentioned Puckett (RIP) and Sappelt in the same sentence.

Sappelt won't ever be half the baseball player Puckett is, but you won't find anyone more similar to Puckett in the Reds organization than Sappelt. That's just how special he was.
    What I mean by that is body type kinda short and stocky with a similar skill set.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

If Sappelt ever slugs north of .430 in major league baseball I would be surprised.

I think he is likely at best a .280/.350/.420ish type of guy. Not bad if he learns how to use his base stealing ability but not nearly as good as I think people are hoping for. Probably a career line of something like .270/.330/.390.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    If Sappelt ever slugs north of .430 in major league baseball I would be surprised.

I think he is likely at best a .280/.350/.420ish type of guy. Not bad if he learns how to use his base stealing ability but not nearly as good as I think people are hoping for. Probably a career line of something like .270/.330/.390.
    A .770 OPS with his defense? Sign me up all day long. Still, I think you are underestimating his power just a little bit. While I will certainly agree that he isn't going to repeat his SLG in the majors that he had this season in the minors, I think he has a little more power than you give him credit for.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    A .770 OPS with his defense? Sign me up all day long. Still, I think you are underestimating his power just a little bit. While I will certainly agree that he isn't going to repeat his SLG in the majors that he had this season in the minors, I think he has a little more power than you give him credit for.
    At his peak I think he can do that, but he isn't likely to play at that peak. I could be wrong, I sure would love to be wrong. Would be cool to have Johnny Damon lite, though I think we have Ryan Freel esque.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 02-14-2011 at 03:31 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    At his peak I think he can do that, but he isn't likely to play at that peak. I could be wrong, I sure would love to be wrong. Would be cool to have Johnny Damon lite, though I think we have Ryan Freel esque.
    Damon has a career OPS of .791 (.355/.436). The guy you described is closer to that than Ryan Freel (.354/.369).

But I'll keep using my comp til I'm blue in the face -- Shane Victorino: .279/.342/.428.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?