Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 60

Thread: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

  1. #16
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,657

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

    I watch the Reds on MLB.com. I work nights so I'll watch the game the next day or even when I am off I tend to stay up late. So the delay doesn't affect me much.

    I watch Big Bang Theory online. I have missed the first 3 episodes of season 4but have seen the rest.

    I missed the last season of Futurama but will buy the dvd when the price drops.

    I'll likely pick up the Walking Dead on dvd.

    I have watched a little bit of stuff on Hulu & Youtube.

    I don't miss cable TV 99% of the time. I watch a few DVDs here & there but most nights I read. Very 19th century.

    If you have some patience & can wait for your shows to either end up online or get cheap on dvd you can save a ton of money by getting rid of regular TV.
    .

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,477

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

    Sports would be the problem for me. The Reds are the obvious drawback, but I watch a TON of college baseketball. Not a night goes by during the season when I'm not watching. I'm an absolute hoops junkie and just don't get the same thrill from watching the games in a little window on my computer screen, and I don't like being limited to just what ESPN puts online.

  4. #18
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,311

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I didn't have pay tv for the 1st 35 years of my life.

    Magically I survived.
    Civilization also continued onward w/o things like electricity, indoor plumbing or certain vaccines.

    Or even.....the internet!


  5. #19
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,477

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Civilization also continued onward w/o things like electricity, indoor plumbing or certain vaccines.

    Or even.....the internet!


  6. #20
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,381

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

    Well the deed is done here. We are officially a family without pay tv.

    I get 17 over the air channels, granted 5 of them are apparently religion based, but all channels I get come in clear so thats big.

    Hulu.com is good, and I'm intending to buy 'passes' to a select few shows like Justified [if its not free on FX.com]. As many of you have stated, there's a lot of options out there online with just a little bit of searching. I think I've talked my boss into it at work too.

    Anyone with DirecTV, they offered me 20$ off a month to stay, so if you're ballsy you might want to call and threaten to cancel and see if you can get a discount from them.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  7. #21
    Member Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,328

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Well the deed is done here. We are officially a family without pay tv.

    I get 17 over the air channels, granted 5 of them are apparently religion based, but all channels I get come in clear so thats big.

    Hulu.com is good, and I'm intending to buy 'passes' to a select few shows like Justified [if its not free on FX.com]. As many of you have stated, there's a lot of options out there online with just a little bit of searching. I think I've talked my boss into it at work too.

    Anyone with DirecTV, they offered me 20$ off a month to stay, so if you're ballsy you might want to call and threaten to cancel and see if you can get a discount from them.
    Nice. I really want to do this but it's NBA and College basketball that keeps me from doing it. I know the NBA has an online pass but I don't have much confidence that it'd play well on my TV. I'm close though, I may wait until after basketball season.

  8. #22
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    11,199

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Well the deed is done here. We are officially a family without pay tv.

    I get 17 over the air channels, granted 5 of them are apparently religion based, but all channels I get come in clear so thats big.

    Hulu.com is good, and I'm intending to buy 'passes' to a select few shows like Justified [if its not free on FX.com]. As many of you have stated, there's a lot of options out there online with just a little bit of searching. I think I've talked my boss into it at work too.

    Anyone with DirecTV, they offered me 20$ off a month to stay, so if you're ballsy you might want to call and threaten to cancel and see if you can get a discount from them.
    Good luck with this.

    You might already know about this, but there is a new box called Roku that will stream most shows that are on the internet onto your TV. You will still have to pay fees that these sites like Netflix, MLB.com and Hulu+ charge, but the box is only $49. I am about to try it so I will let everyone know how it well it works when I do.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,580

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

    Anyone with DirecTV, they offered me 20$ off a month to stay, so if you're ballsy you might want to call and threaten to cancel and see if you can get a discount from them.
    I canceled. They offered me $250 to come back. Just letting you know you can get more than the $20.

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,580

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Good luck with this.

    You might already know about this, but there is a new box called Roku that will stream most shows that are on the internet onto your TV. You will still have to pay fees that these sites like Netflix, MLB.com and Hulu+ charge, but the box is only $49. I am about to try it so I will let everyone know how it well it works when I do.
    Saw that in a magazine yesterday for $99. $49? Cool.

  11. #25
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Nice. I really want to do this but it's NBA and College basketball that keeps me from doing it. I know the NBA has an online pass but I don't have much confidence that it'd play well on my TV. I'm close though, I may wait until after basketball season.
    Same here. I watch a lot of hoops. It's really the only reason I ever got Directv to begin with. Hoops and the Sunday Ticket.

  12. #26
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    11,199

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Saw that in a magazine yesterday for $99. $49? Cool.
    They start at $49 and go up to $99 for ones with more options and better HD. Still figuring which one I'll get.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  13. #27
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,987

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv


  14. #28
    Member Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,328

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Looks pretty good. I downloaded it just now, we'll see how it works.

  15. #29
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,381

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

    Let me know what you think Razor. I'm not missing anything so far, but am considering a Roku type device.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  16. #30
    Member Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,328

    Re: Opinions of those who have ditched pay tv

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Let me know what you think Razor. I'm not missing anything so far, but am considering a Roku type device.
    So far connection issues are frustrating. Although I have a 2wire router so there are different connection settings, but even after following everything there is still some security feature that is blocking the server. I spent about an hour and half last night and couldn't put a finger on it. I'm gonna try again today, I'm certain I'll figure it out and then be able to get a real feel for it.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25