Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragons/ 5/3 Field

Dragons/ 5/3 Field

In '08, I became a baseball/Reds fan, and dragged by dad back to caring about baseball again (the '94 strike didn't sit well with him, and the lost decade didn't help). Since then, we've been to GABP a few times each year, including Opening Day in '09, and we've made it to PNC once. Anyway, this season we'll probably make our first trip up to Dayton, as its really no farther for us than Cincy (we're in Oxford). So, any tips on where to sit, etc.? Any players to watch- I know Hamilton will be there, LaMarre- Is H-Rod there yet?

Yes its still a bit of a ways off before tickets and such, but I just thought about it, and baseball season is close enough.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dragons/ 5/3 Field

There are no bad seats really, but you'll need to be creative to find anything that isn't on the lawn (the lawn is nice too, though). H-Rod was there all last year; I'm not sure of his status this season.

You probably won't see Ryan LaMarre or Henry Rodriguez as they were playing in A+ at the end of last year. You might see Yasmani Grandal, but even if it's Mark Fleury or Tucker Barnhart, there should be someone interesting to watch at the catcher position. Devin Lohman and David Vidal are two infielders who were early draft picks, so keep an eye on them. Yorman Rodriguez is an exciting player to watch and has the potential to blossom into a star. Thanks to Kyle Lotzkar, Jonathan Correa, Dan Corcino, Dan Tuttle, Jake Johnson, Drew Cisco, Tony Amezcua, Blaine Howell, and maybe a couple others, the pitching has a chance to be the best group in Dayton Dragons history.

as others have said, there are no bad seats in the place. Dragon's dugout is on the 3rd baseline (if that makes a difference to you). At roughly 8k strong, the upper deck seating still puts you on top of the field. Great place to catch a game, and they should be stocked w/ talent this year.

I doubt Grandal is there this year, I'm sure they'll start him in A+ if not AA. Hamilton & Yorman will be fun to watch (assuming they're both there at the start of the year) All the guys Cam mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised to see Guillon in the rotation. The Reds are seemingly loaded w/ a bunch of high upside guys who were in the rookie leagues last year.

Thanks for the answers, guys. When I said H-Rod, I'm pretty sure I meant Y-Rod. I'm talking about the very highly touted outfielder.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Once fun element of the lawn, is that there is a net over the top of foul territory (to protect foul balls from leaving the stadium and landing in the street) that sends most high foul balls into the lawn area. So if you are sitting in the lawn, you are bound to get dozens of chances for foul balls. If you want a foul ball, just sit in the lawn for about two or three innings.

And be sure to get tickets early. They sell out fast.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

It's very possible and I think likely that Yorman Rodriguez will be in Dayton for 2011.

They should have some very entertaining baseball.

By my reckoning, the lineup should be:

Hamilton SS
    Torreyes 2B
    Rodriguez CF/ RF
    Lutz DH/ LF/ 1B
    Pfister 3B
    Kaskow/ D'Anna 1B/ DH
    Barnhart C
    Bowe/ Means OF
    Garton/ Bowe OF

No OF pop, but the infield is solid, especially with Lohman also a possibility between 2B and SS. (I think Hamilton, Torreyes, and Lohman will split the IF duties, allowing rest for the younger two prospects.)

The pitching staff looks good, as well, with Johnson (maybe), Cline, Corcino, Robles, Tuttle, Correa, and perhaps Lotzkar all prospects of one ilk or another.

The sun is an issue for some of the seats on the first base side. Sitting a few rows above the visiting bullpen (it's fun to heckle a bullpen catcher only 15 feet away), you're staring directly in the sun looking at home plate until it sets behind the stadium.

But as others said, there isn't a bad spot in the ballpark and the Dragons do an excellent job with the game day experience.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

shoot me a PM when you decide on a game you want to attend. I have access to very good seats behind the Dragons dugout.

Still a lot to be decided, but it should look something like this:

C: Barnhardt, Berset
    1B: Maddux, Matthews, D'Anna
    2B: Torreyes (if he is there) or Lohman with Hamilton at 2B two days a week
    SS: Hamilton (Lohman when Hamilton is at second)
    3B: if Torreyes starts in Dayton, then Lohman will play third. If not, then Vidal
    LF: Lutz, Read
    CF: Y. Rodriguez
    RF: ? (hopefully not Duran but it is possible)

Generally in Dayton, the Reds have played their best defensive center fielder in center, regardless of prospect status. It is too important a defensive position to not be at your best (ie: Means played there in 2010 and LaMarre moved to right when Means was healthy).

SP: Lotzkar, Corcino, Robles, Tuttle, Crabbe. (if Guillon, or Correa make the team or if Johnson repeats, then Tuttle moves to the bullpen).

RP: Howell, Wolford, Doyle, Hayes, Walczak, Arico, one spot up for grabs.

Lots of prospects, but too young, except in the bullpen. Would likely be the youngest team in the league with only two regulars over 20, and the youngest team in the Midwest League is generally going to struggle, regardless of how many prospects they have. Need more experience in the lineup and the Reds likely will see that, so you could see something unexpected, like Fleury returning. With all the youngsters who have not suffered through failure before, it is important that this team be strong enough that some level of "contagious success" is happening. If the team is losing, you are gonna see the 19 year olds start pressing, trying to turn it around all by themselves, and the problems will worsen. I have seen it. 19-20 years olds often play to the level of the team (more so than college products). They get down if the team is losing, they play with lots of confidence if the team is winning.

The last time Dayton had a really strong team was 2007 and the lineup was filled with college guys (Stubbs, Valaika, Turner, Parker, Heisey, Kainer). The second half of 2008, they were pretty good, and again, lots of college guys (Cozart, Waring, Kahaulelio, McKennon, Klinker, Horst, Jeffords, Krebs, etc.).

It is very difficult for a team full of 19-20 year olds to compete in the Midwest League against 22-23 years olds out of LSU, Texas, Cal-State Fullerton, Alabama, etc. Look at the league champions last year, Lake County. They won the title and did not have a single player in the Cleveland top 30. You have to have some good college players to win in the Midwest League.

I am looking forward to seeing some good young prospects, don't get me wrong on that. Hopefully the Reds will mix in a few experienced guys to help the prospects develop better. A good, experienced closer would help. Losing games in the ninth, as the team did frequently last season, brings all 25 players down.

Not sure where to ask this, didn't think it needed its own thread, so I'll ask it here. Driving home last night, I head that 1410 WING out of Dayton is going to be the new local home for the Reds (used to be 980, though you can get 700 loud & clear at least on the south side, if not over the entire 1410/980 broadcasting area)

anyhoo, 1410 was the home of the Dayton Dragons since they started, I believe. I assume they're not going to air both Dragons & Reds games, so does anyone know who, if anyone will be picking up the Dragon's games?

980 WONE has the Dragons now

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    980 WONE has the Dragons now
    Hmmm... I wonder if I can get the reception any better in the car with WONE - 1410 would fade out around Middletown.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I would think so because I think they have a much stronger broadcasting signal than 1410 does.

Turn Off Ads?