Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orioles spend $8 million for...what exactly?

Orioles spend $8 million for...what exactly?

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2011/2/4...contract-neyer

If you were making a list of the things that a team like the Orioles should not do, spending $8 million on a player like Vladimir Guerrero is really close to the top.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Orioles spend $8 million for...what exactly?

Yeah, I see what you mean ... because they have no shot at competing in that division ... but really that's not a bad deal for Vlad. He's old, not what he used to be, but he's coming off a good year and $8 mil is about right for him for a one-year deal. I'm surprised a contender in the AL didn't make a play for him as a DH/part-time OF. Yeah, the O's are a strange fit, no question.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Well, he does give them help with something that they struggled with last year....offense, LOL

The O's have put together a nice team for this coming year. I'd love to see them make some noise in that tough AL East division and make things interesting for the other teams there.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

They certainly played better after Buck Showalter took over as their skipper.

Their chances are slim, but strangers things have happened. They certainly have some talent on their roster.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    They certainly played better after Buck Showalter took over as their skipper.

Their chances are slim, but strangers things have happened. They certainly have some talent on their roster.
    I like Adam Jones.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-05-2011 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2011/2/4...contract-neyer

If you were making a list of the things that a team like the Orioles should not do, spending $8 million on a player like Vladimir Guerrero is really close to the top.
    I think they signed a guy who can provide some pop in the middle of the order while more kids grow-up and who can be dealt at the deadline to help add to the young core. Probably only ends-up costing $5 Million or so.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I like Adam Jones.
    Too bad he's wanted in Canada.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

They got the "new manager bump" after Buck came in last year, but they'll come back down to earth and then some this year. They have no pitching. They play in a brutal division (Red Sox are going to crush everyone this year ... Yankees will score a ton of runs). They do have some offensive talent, but some of those guys have been underachievers thus far (Wieters, Adam Jones, Markakis wasn't up to par last year). Landing Derrek Lee, Vlad, Reynolds and Hardy sure improves their offense, but their pitching is so bad that it won't matter much.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I like the O's and I like Vlad...but I've got to admit...I don't see this one working out. The Orioles are a bit too far away from seriously competing and Vlad is cruising downhill towards the end of his career...this contract looks to be a bad move IMO. Especially at that dollar amount.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I would disagree.

#1 - Someone has to DH. Might as well be a guy who could (heavy emphasis on could) rake.
    #2 - Losing beats down anyone over time. The core of that team - Markakis, Wieters, Jones, etc have been there for a couple of seasons now. Their pitching isn't quite ready for prime time yet, that might be another season away. Might as well keep the hope alive while the pitching develops. And those young guys need some confidence that they don't need to throw a 2-1 CG every night to win.

$8 mil - the Os are saving money at most positions because they don't have any big contracts. Vlad also is a name. And people like big names for whatever it's worth. People who have been staying away from Camden in droves in recent years.

2011 Orioles = 2010 Mariners?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    2011 Orioles = 2010 Mariners?
    I'd say no because I don't think anyone even on the Baltimore FO team is saying "We're going to win this year"

The Ms were the "sleeper" team of 2010 by pretty much every major flapping gum analyst who had a mic or a keyboard.

And Balitmore's pitching as a whole is better than Seattle IMO. Hernandez is worth two guys but the Os have about 7 guys they can throw out there to get results.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I would disagree.

#1 - Someone has to DH. Might as well be a guy who could (heavy emphasis on could) rake.
    #2 - Losing beats down anyone over time. The core of that team - Markakis, Wieters, Jones, etc have been there for a couple of seasons now. Their pitching isn't quite ready for prime time yet, that might be another season away. Might as well keep the hope alive while the pitching develops. And those young guys need some confidence that they don't need to throw a 2-1 CG every night to win.

$8 mil - the Os are saving money at most positions because they don't have any big contracts. Vlad also is a name. And people like big names for whatever it's worth. People who have been staying away from Camden in droves in recent years.
    I agree with this bolded part. Their pitching isn't horrible, it's just very young and still developing. I'd love to have Brian Matusz and Jake Arrieta pitching for the Reds, they're both very good, and they have to pitch in a much tougher division too. They will be an interesting team to watch this coming year. Personally, I'd love to see them make things crazy for the AL East because that would be really fun, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Perhaps the '09 version of the Reds head scratcher, Scott Rolen? Many viewed that move the same way, the same might also have been said about the '10 Rangers. I know they aren't likely to win like the above teams but I don't think the move hurts anything really.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Guererro hit fairly well last year and is going to a team who can use him in LF or DH.

Berkamn didn't hit last year and is going to a team who has to use him in RF.

And both make $8M.

Turn Off Ads?