Turn Off Ads?

Thread: If Joba was a Red...

If Joba was a Red...

would anyone outside of us know him? I constantly hear talk shows and analysts bring up Joba's name and gush over him but outside of being a couple of years younger is he better than Nick Masset? Looking at their numbers they're not all that dissimilar. I never hear Masset's name mentioned and I'll admit Joba's upside sets him apart but not as much as being a Yankee.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If Joba was a Red...

Shouldn't that be "If Joba were a Red..."?

Apologies, as always, for the grammar police. :-)

BTW, I actually don't think most folks would have heard of him if he were a Red. That's assuming, of course, that Cincy would handle him the same way. He's a super talented pitcher, and frankly misused by the Yanks, so if he were on Cincy he might have had a better look in the rotation by now--which would mean, IMO, he would be well-known anyway.
    Last edited by RedEye; 02-05-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

just looked Joba up on Baseball Reference and one of the pitchers he was most similar to through age 24 was Manny Sarmiento...sweet!

A yankee prospect overvalued by the national press.

Nah. Couldn't be.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    would anyone outside of us know him? I constantly hear talk shows and analysts bring up Joba's name and gush over him but outside of being a couple of years younger is he better than Nick Masset? Looking at their numbers they're not all that dissimilar. I never hear Masset's name mentioned and I'll admit Joba's upside sets him apart but not as much as being a Yankee.
    You have a great point. He's just another in a long line of hard throwers. He had some early success with the Yankees and all the mediots thought he was the Second Coming. OTOH, Chapman seems to be getting a lot of publicity.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Brandon Claussen, clap, clap...clap,clap,clap.

Maybe we would have heard of him, because he would have cracked a rotation or bullpen of some team, but we would not have heard of him to the extent we have.

Could you imagine if Leake or Wood was on the Yankees? Leake would have already been on the cover of SI, and I am not trying to exaggerate.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Brandon Claussen, clap, clap...clap,clap,clap.

Maybe we would have heard of him, because he would have cracked a rotation or bullpen of some team, but we would not have heard of him to the extent we have.

Could you imagine if Leake or Wood was on the Yankees? Leake would have already been on the cover of SI, and I am not trying to exaggerate.
    You so speak the truth.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I'm going to disagree a little. Guys who show up from the minors lighting up radar guns and flashing dominance in the late innings for contenders always cause something of a stir, see: Chapman, Feliz, Bard, Zumaya. The great starter/reliever debate and the Joba rules bit got too much attention, but the Yankees handled it all so strangely.
    Last edited by blumj; 02-06-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?