Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's the major hype with Todd Frazier ?

what's the major hype with Todd Frazier ?

Will he play left field ?

Will he be the shortstop ?

Is he the next Scott Rolen ?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Freelance Philosopher

Re: what's the major hype with Todd Frarazier ?

The guy is a baller. A Field Rat (Gym Rat in basketball terms). Had a down year at the plate last year (32 dbls, 17 hrs, 45 walks, .258) at Louisville after two very solid years in A and AA.

Is he going to be a perennial all star? No. But he has the potential to be a .285/25/80 guy that is going to give you 110% every second he is on the field.

Just a sense, but I'm thinking the Reds brass think this guy might be the future at 3rd, and are giving him every encouragement and will this spring give him every opportunity to fill the spot. He has shown more than a flash or two to be a very solid player. He stated the other day before departing on the Caravan, that he really prefers to play 3rd.

I had the pleasure of meeting Todd today on the caravan here in Columbus. I asked him how the off-season was going and he said good...trying to get bigger and stronger. I remember seeing him play last year and I thought he looked a tad thin. Not so now as he definitely looks to have put weight on. I asked him what his position of choice was and he said 3B. He then continued, that won't happen any time soon. I responded, just a couple of years and he smiled. Very nice kid. He will be in the Bigs sooner rather than later.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

What's the major hype with Todd Frarazier?

He's the heir apparent to Scott Rorolen.

Not at all a big fan of Frazier, I would rather have Juan be our 3B of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    What's the major hype with Todd Frarazier?

He's the heir apparent to Scott Rorolen.

Frarazier !!

Quote Originally Posted by BLark = HOF View Post
    Not at all a big fan of Frazier, I would rather have Juan be our 3B of the future.
    You are definitely in the minority as most people believe Frazier to be a future above average major leaguer. If Juan has a future in the Majors, it will be in LF or as a DH. He is a horrible fielder but does have a cannon for an arm. His plate discipline is downright pathetic.

Freelance Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
    His plate discipline is downright pathetic.
    Yeah but he can sure hit it a ton.....

I like Francisco. If he ever quits trying to hit every pitch into the river he could develop into one of the most feared hitters in baseball. Or the next Dave Kingman if he doesnt.

Frazier...Francisco... Ahhhhh it sure is nice to have these kinds of problems again.

Quote Originally Posted by naptown View Post
    Yeah but he can sure hit it a ton.....

I like Francisco. If he ever quits trying to hit every pitch into the river he could develop into one of the most feared hitters in baseball. Or the next Dave Kingman if he doesnt.

Frazier...Francisco... Ahhhhh it sure is nice to have these kinds of problems again.
    The positives you note, are the same frame of mind we all had with Wily Mo. And yes, what I've seen of him, he puts me in mind of Wily Mo. Now, if Walt could just pull off another deal akin to an Arroyo in return...........

Freelance Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    The positives you note, are the same frame of mind we all had with Wily Mo. And yes, what I've seen of him, he puts me in mind of Wily Mo. Now, if Walt could just pull off another deal akin to an Arroyo in return...........
    You wont ever hear me deny the pros and cons of any player. And Francisco sure has his cons.

The one thing that intrigues me the most about him though is that he still hits for average. Even with all those terrible swings and strike outs, he still hits for average. Has at every level. At age 23 I am not ready to give up on him.

But yes, flashes of Wily Mo at the plate and Edwin in the field. There is no denying the comparisons. But the potential of Francisco is much bigger than both of those other players. And fortunately our organization is in a position where we can give players a bit more time to mature.

Re: what's the major hype with Todd Frazier ?

Francisco hits the ball so hard, that what are routine grounders hit by many players are rocket grounders by him.

Frazier has always been projected as a MLB talent, but he needs to find a position. I have never been able to get a good sense of whether he has the skills to be 3B longterm. I don't think he can hit enough to be a 1B. He might wind up as a utility infielder guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BLark = HOF View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what do you see in Francisco that makes you believe he will be the better major leaguer of the two?

Well, if Francisco is the heir apparent to Rolen.........then is Frarazier the heir apparent to Phiphillips?

Turn Off Ads?