Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MacBook Pro with the money?

Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Other nice thing -- when your Mac breaks, you can take it to an Apple Store (if you have one locally) and they'll take care of all the fixing details for you. No need to save everything, re-box your computer and mail it off.
    Depends where you buy it from. Get it at Best Buy and get the protection plan there and you can just take it up there as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

We have both, two Macs and a PC laptop. The PC is an inexpensive Toshiba, so maybe it's apples and oranges so to speak, but I have had no problems with either mac and one of them is over 5 years old. The 5 year old Mac is running the latest OS and also has Windows 7 installed on an external drive through Parallels. The Windows applications run side by side with the Mac apps without having to switch back and forth from one OS to the other. From that standpoint alone, I have absolutely no need for the PC except that it's a laptop so I use it for searching freight while I'm watching TV in the evenings. In my book, the Mac is worth it, but I've been a Mac user for close on 15 years now.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

I ended up getting a Toshiba L645 Satellite. I got lucky and caught it on sale at Newegg for $499. Has a 2.53gHz i3 processor, 4GB Ram and a 500GB drive. Not bad for $499. I really liked the build quality of the Mac, but it would have cost me $1200, before tax. That is more than double.

The new MacBook Pro's that came out look sweet though, the 13'' now has an i5 processor, they finally dumped the Core 2 Duo.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Ubuntu.

just sayin.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Ubuntu.

just sayin.
    Yeah. I run it on one of my older laptops that was Vista. It's like new.

I build dozens of computers every year and I can tell you that inside the case a Mac is identical to PCs that cost half as much. Apple is great at branding and marketing their products to image-conscious consumers more concerned with fashion than substance. If you are the type of guy that has to have the fancy logos on your purchase then get yourself an Apple computer. If you are not that type of guy then spend that same amount of money and get yourself two HPs with identical specs to the Apple.

There is a reason you see so many expensive television commercials and magazine advertisements trying to get you to buy an Apple -- they make a ton of profit on every computer they sell due to their huge markups in what is otherwise a low margin industry. Apple computers are not superior to PCs in any way -- but Apple is fantastic at convincing non-techie folks to pay extra for the privilege of owning a computer with a fruity logo on the case.

You can buy a $400 Compaq computer that can do 99% of what that $1300 Mac can do.

The best way to get the most bang for your buck when buying a desktop computer is to buy the parts and assemble them yourself. You will get a much, much better computer than you can buy in any store and you will pay less for it. It is quick and easy to do too. You can assemble the computer in an hour or two without any special tools or knowledge.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I build dozens of computers every year and I can tell you that inside the case a Mac is identical to PCs that cost half as much. Apple is great at branding and marketing their products to image-conscious consumers more concerned with fashion than substance. If you are the type of guy that has to have the fancy logos on your purchase then get yourself an Apple computer. If you are not that type of guy then spend that same amount of money and get yourself two HPs with identical specs to the Apple.

There is a reason you see so many expensive television commercials and magazine advertisements trying to get you to buy an Apple -- they make a ton of profit on every computer they sell due to their huge markups in what is otherwise a low margin industry. Apple computers are not superior to PCs in any way -- but Apple is fantastic at convincing non-techie folks to pay extra for the privilege of owning a computer with a fruity logo on the case.
    Consider this "non-techie folk" happy to have paid the premium to never have had to deal with Windows Vista. I know it may shock you, but there are quite a few "techie" people out there who want the convenience of a mainstream OS without the headaches and annoyances of Windows.

No wait...you're right. I'm just an idiot who pays extra beacuse I don't know what I'm doing and I've been brainwashed by Apple marketing. If only I'd paid closer attention, I'd realize that I could have had the same user experience by going online and buying a $400 laptop online. Can't believe I've managed to stay financially solvent making such poor, image-over-function decisions constantly. Long live our fearless leader Steve Jobs.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Vista is a fine OS. It got a bad name because they had a lot of compatibility issues when it first came out, but it's ironic that compatibility would be an issue for somebody who dumped it for an Apple.

That being said, a PC with similar build quality as an Apple costs just as much as an Apple. They're cheaper 'cause they're cheaper. I still buy them, though, because that's just a better approach when it comes to technology. I don't get a new computer because the old one breaks, I get a new one because the old one's obsolete. PC or Mac, if I want to replace it in three or four years, why pay extra for one that'll last longer than that?
    Last edited by kpresidente; 02-28-2011 at 09:51 AM.

My wife and i are having a Mac vs PC war. she's a graphic designer that has bought the notion that she has to have a mac. Even though she KNOW that Adobe runs the same on either machine. Option Delete is apparently much cooler then Alt Delete or whatever.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    My wife and i are having a Mac vs PC war. she's a graphic designer that has bought the notion that she has to have a mac. Even though she KNOW that Adobe runs the same on either machine. Option Delete is apparently much cooler then Alt Delete or whatever.
    Final Cut Pro is the reason I'll be a Mac person for the foreseeable future. I know PC's have made great strides, but it will be hard to convince Video/Graphic Design people to ever switch.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Final Cut Pro is the reason I'll be a Mac person for the foreseeable future. I know PC's have made great strides, but it will be hard to convince Video/Graphic Design people to ever switch.
    Premiere with After Effects is just as good as FCP, if not better IMO. There isn't really anything you can do with one or the other that the other one doesn't handle just fine.

And CE, I avoided Vista while sticking with PC's. Kept Windows XP until Windows 7 was available.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I buy commodities from the low bidder, but a computer is not a commodity like a light bulb. It takes software to make it work.

The Mac OS is different from Windows. I don't write software or operating systems, so I just use what works and my usage is about 80% Macs.

Most, although admittedly not all, of the programmers and software engineers I have known who either have the money to buy any computer they want or the clout to get their employer to buy any computer they want, choose Macs. These are people whose opinions I respect about software.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post

You can buy a $400 Compaq computer that can do 99% of what that $1300 Mac can do.

The best way to get the most bang for your buck when buying a desktop computer is to buy the parts and assemble them yourself. You will get a much, much better computer than you can buy in any store and you will pay less for it. It is quick and easy to do too. You can assemble the computer in an hour or two without any special tools or knowledge.
    Bunk. I am a dotnet developer on a MacBook pro and it has everything to do with consistency and solid hardware with no compatibility issues or hunting for driver.

Building pc's is a fools game to be honest as I did that for a good while and the frustration of driver updates and new operating systems that make certain hardware sets junk.

Macs do everything well. You get what you pay for and 9 times out of 10, that $400 laptop will be a heap in your basement in a few years.

The inside of the mac is finely tuned and put together in such a way that everything runs as best as can be. It has to as it's apples image on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I buy commodities from the low bidder, but a computer is not a commodity like a light bulb. It takes software to make it work.

The Mac OS is different from Windows. I don't write software or operating systems, so I just use what works and my usage is about 80% Macs.

Most, although admittedly not all, of the programmers and software engineers I have known who either have the money to buy any computer they want or the clout to get their employer to buy any computer they want, choose Macs. These are people whose opinions I respect about software.
    I'm a software developer and I'm venture that at the minimum 80% of people that develop software for a living don't do so on a mac as most of the IDE's to develop software aren't available on the mac platform.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'm a software developer and I'm venture that at the minimum 80% of people that develop software for a living don't do so on a mac as most of the IDE's to develop software aren't available on the mac platform.
    As am I. I use Xcode, eclipse and visual studio (vm fusion). What's your point?

Turn Off Ads?