Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49

Thread: MacBook Pro with the money?

  1. #31
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,223

    Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

    My fourth and latest laptop is the 13 inch MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.I bought it back in late 2009 and have had no issues with it.I may be wrong but I do believe the same model can be bought new at micro center here in Columbus for under a grand.Being my first Mac I was a little nervous but quickly found it a very easy conversion.

    As far as the reason for switching from pc to mac goes.While I don't really want to get into the whole debate about mac vs pc I will say that in 5 years I went through 3 pc laptops that cost me around $1000 each.They all managed to last past the 1 yr manufacture warranty.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 02-28-2011 at 09:22 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,786

    Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

    I'm nearing the same point - switching to Mac from PC. Mostly, it's because I'm sick and tired of troubleshooting my Windows 7 network, my freezing Windows 7 Sony laptop, and my wife's buggy Dell Inspiron laptop. I have lost a week or more of my life just messing with it all. If Mac can assure me a bug free environment, I may make the switch. Many of the tech people I know have sworn off PC for Mac. I've resisted, thinking it's all frivolous, but now I'm just waiting to hear that it's not so I can end my misery.
    2015 Rotation: Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani

  4. #33
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,056

    Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    As far as the reason for switching from pc to mac goes.While I don't really want to get into the whole debate about mac vs pc I will say that in 5 years I went through 3 pc laptops that cost me around $1000 each.They all managed to last past the 1 yr manufacture warranty.
    To get the equivalent hardware specs of a $1000 PC, you have to buy a $3000 Mac, so even under that gloomy scenario, you still break even. Just sayin'.

  5. #34
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,223

    Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    To get the equivalent hardware specs of a $1000 PC, you have to buy a $3000 Mac, so even under that gloomy scenario, you still break even. Just sayin'.
    Financially.....yes.Mentally.....

  6. #35
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,643

    Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    To get the equivalent hardware specs of a $1000 PC, you have to buy a $3000 Mac, so even under that gloomy scenario, you still break even. Just sayin'.
    Even if you max out a 15" MBP, you still come in well under $3,000.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  7. #36
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,786

    Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Financially.....yes.Mentally.....
    Seriously.

    Is there a site that can break down the comparison of which is more stable?
    2015 Rotation: Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani

  8. #37
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,056

    Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Even if you max out a 15" MBP, you still come in well under $3,000.
    I was exaggerating. You could probably get the equivalent of a fully-config'd $3000 MacBook Pro from HP for $1500.

    As for me, I'm currently typing on a $350 eMachines desktop with Windows 7 and 6 gigs of RAM that I've had for a year, and I can't remember yet having to reboot because of a freeze. The graphics card on it stinks, but I don't need anything, and if I ever did, I'd buy an aftermarket one. My business partner has an Asus notebook he bought 4 years ago and he's always calling me frustrated because something's gone wrong. He wants to scrap it for an Apple. The truth is 99% of the time it's just him not knowing what he's doing. I happen to, so I don't have the same problems, but I used to before I really mastered the whole thing. What can I say. The user experience is what matters, but users are all different.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 02-28-2011 at 11:23 PM.

  9. #38
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,786

    Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    I was exaggerating. You could probably get the equivalent of a fully-config'd $3000 MacBook Pro from HP for $1500.

    As for me, I'm currently typing on a $350 eMachines desktop with Windows 7 and 6 gigs of RAM that I've had for a year, and I can't remember yet having to reboot because of a freeze. The graphics card on it stinks, but I don't need anything, and if I ever did, I'd buy an aftermarket one. My business partner has an Asus notebook he bought 4 years ago and he's always calling me frustrated because something's gone wrong. He wants to scrap it for an Apple. The truth is 99% of the time it's just him not knowing what he's doing. I happen to, so I don't have the same problems, but I used to before I really mastered the whole thing. What can I say. The user experience is what matters, but users are all different.
    Same here, but the time spent mastering PC's is time I'd really rather have back. If Mac's can provide an upgrade then I'd like to know.
    2015 Rotation: Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani

  10. #39
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,056

    Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Same here, but the time spent mastering PC's is time I'd really rather have back. If Mac's can provide an upgrade then I'd like to know.
    FWIW, I read somewhere that IT people get 40% fewer issues from Apple than from Windows systems. So that's a number you can put on it. I don't have a link, but I'm not lying, either.

  11. #40
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,746

    Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    As am I. I use Xcode, eclipse and visual studio (vm fusion). What's your point?
    Just that unless you are developing specifically for macs or are a web site developer you aren't likely to be using a mac to work on, at least not while using the mac OS. Especially if you are developing multi-user database driven systems. I'm not making a value judgement, just stating a fact.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  12. #41
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,447

    Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    FWIW, I read somewhere that IT people get 40% fewer issues from Apple than from Windows systems. So that's a number you can put on it. I don't have a link, but I'm not lying, either.
    Well I would believe that, because Viruses are prevalent for Windows based systems, while they aren't so much on a Mac/Apple based system. Same goes for Malware.

    But, here is the way to keep any system clean.... don't download music/videos unless they are something you bought from itunes/amazon/other reputable place. Don't look at "unsavory" websites. Don't install programs that you don't actually need. Do that, and you aren't going to have problems 99% of the time unless its a hardware problem, and that has nothing to do with Apple/Windows. That said, I have gone laptop shopping with two friends in the last two months and both wound up getting a Mac of some kind because they are exactly the types who constantly get viruses.

  13. #42
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,453

    Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I buy commodities from the low bidder, but a computer is not a commodity like a light bulb. It takes software to make it work.

    The Mac OS is different from Windows. I don't write software or operating systems, so I just use what works and my usage is about 80% Macs.

    Most, although admittedly not all, of the programmers and software engineers I have known who either have the money to buy any computer they want or the clout to get their employer to buy any computer they want, choose Macs. These are people whose opinions I respect about software.
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Just that unless you are developing specifically for macs or are a web site developer you aren't likely to be using a mac to work on, at least not while using the mac OS. Especially if you are developing multi-user database driven systems. I'm not making a value judgement, just stating a fact.
    I'm a web developer, and I don't use a mac. In fact, I'd berate a web developer that did. With so many differences in CSS between browsers, a PC is the best platform to develop a website from. Sure you can load Windows7 on a mac, running it side by side, but with a PC I don't have to. and with 70+% of all website visitors running a version of IE, i'd say a web developer on a Mac, not running a version of windows is doing his clients a disservice. Plus, my pc will run apache and IIS. So i can develop with both environments in mind.

    but these examples are extremes. Graphic designers like Macs because they are taught on Macs and told that Macs are superior when it comes to graphic design. And since the industry after school uses Macs, well... that is a big reason for them to like Macs.

    So if you need a machine because you are a graphic designer, get a Mac. Even though it won't do anything a PC can't do as well.

    If you need a computer for work, more than likely you need a PC. Want to know just HOW prevalent MS software is? go to a hospital sometime. Or a dentist. Or a bank. or any business that isn't a graphic design shop. Nearly ALL business related software is designed for use on a PC.

    Now if you need a computer to do basic office work, documents, spreadsheets, powerpoint, internet surfing etc. If you want to organize your music. If you want access to hundreds games, productivity software, education software and aren't afraid of your computer, try Ubuntu.

    My 12 year old daughter is running Ubuntu 10.10 on an Asus Aspire One netbook we bought for $100. It was running XP when we got it. sucker zips, has decent but not great video playback. very fast internet connection speeds. desktop effects enabled, because she is 12 and they are cool. She does her facebook, (yeah I know, but we monitor it) most of her homework, and listens to her music through it. She has had it for 2 years, but our dog knocked it off the couch and busted the power supply. awaiting a new one from ebay. I also have Ubuntu running on a Dell Inspiron. I'm due for an upgrade of my laptop at work, and I am hoping my current one goes to auction. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Core2 duo Dell Precision. And yes, I'd throw Ubuntu on it. I like Windows 7, but nothing beats the boot speed of Ubuntu.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  14. #43
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,252
    Um. So I'm an idiot for being a web dev and use a Mac because majority of users are on ie? I would argue the users on IE are the morons.

    But I dev for an enterprise app so it's no biggie.

    But it's a pretty solid fact that apple spends millions on hardware+software refinement and R&D to get the absolute best out of their products. The pc oems, not so much.

    Luck has a lot to do with a well working pc in my experience.

  15. #44
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,453

    Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Um. So I'm an idiot for being a web dev and use a Mac because majority of users are on ie? I would argue the users on IE are the morons.

    But I dev for an enterprise app so it's no biggie.

    But it's a pretty solid fact that apple spends millions on hardware+software refinement and R&D to get the absolute best out of their products. The pc oems, not so much.

    Luck has a lot to do with a well working pc in my experience.
    Did I say idiot? i don't remember saying idiot.

    I said disservice.

    And just because 70+% of internet users are on IE doesn't mean they are idiots. Unless you count the elderly who aren't on the "cutting edge" of technology. So, they could be idiots i suppose. oh and teenage girls. they are almost all idiots. Oh and most rural non tech types that buy computers for their families. And single mothers. idiots all.

    The fact is there are significant differences in how the browsers render CSS. Especially as we move towards CSS3. It is always like that when we move towards a new specification. And no one is really sure how the browsers are going to handle HTML5 either. It's like a perfect storm of web development. I never would have thought that javascript would be the stable language.

    IE through version 6, and some would even say 7 was a bad product. So was Netscape for a while. FF has become bloated so much that FF4 was a major rewrite to speed up javascript.

    But back to Mac vs PC... horsehockey. You just lumped every PC maker into one basket and compared them collectively to Macs. It'd be like comparing all Lexus cars to every other car.

    I've had my Dell Inspiron laptop for three years now. Started with XP, re-imaged with Windows7. Haven't really had any problems. I keep my anti virus up to date, and my anti spyware. The one time I did have a problem, turned out my daughter was sneaking on my computer and installing peer to peer software to download music. That is when I had to re-image, and moved to Windows7.

    My default browser is Chrome for surfing but I test every page i build against IE first. I'd be an idiot if i didn't.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  16. #45
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,447

    Re: MacBook Pro with the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    My default browser is Chrome for surfing but I test every page i build against IE first. I'd be an idiot if i didn't.
    Made that mistake once. Site looked GREAT in Firefox, which I use. Went to bed thinking to myself "man, the new design looks GREAT". Woke up to most of the users of the site leaving comments about the site being all kinds of screwy. Opened it in IE and man, was it a disaster area.

    Its a shame that the browsers all read the same code differently. While I certainly don't create programs, I can't figure out why they all read things differently.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25