Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 12 Days...

Legends Never Die

12 Days...

Until the Daytona 500 is anyone else out there pumped about the racing season starting again? If you are lets get some good NASCAR talk going on in here. Yes I have a little bias about this sport because for the last 4 years I have been working with a race team in Springboro that raced at Kil-Kare and now we are making the leap to Arca racing so I am probably more excited about racing this year than most. But back to the original point who is ready to go racing??
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: 12 Days...

The NASCAR Nextel Cup is one of the most uncompetitve competitions there is in sports history. Gee, let me see, the Cup will be won by one of 5 drivers. The same 5 that had any chance of winning it last year and probably the year before that. Most money (best sponsors) = championships.

Before sponsors and money got so heavily involved there used to be numerous drivers with a chance to win the title or even each and every race. There were still some known names back then, but mainly b/c they were better drivers... not b/c they drove for the right team.

Hate to be dour, but I invite anyone to tell me I am wrong and explain.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Hate to be dour, but I invite anyone to tell me I am wrong and explain.
    As a Nascar fan for nearly 20 years I'll be the first to say that you are not wrong. This sport has not been competitive since after Dale was killed and Nascar implemented so many stupid rules and restrictions that now literally all you are watching is cars going around in circles. Yes and I agree with how money has gotten out of control in the sport. Because of that corporate greed many great races have been taken off the schedule i.e. Darlington, North Wilkesboro, Rockingham, and I think one of the Atlanta races is gone as well. It is a shame that a once great PURE American sport has now been ruined.

I used to watch NASCAR... when I was 5-8 years old or so, I was obsessed with it... then it went to crap, and I discovered football, then baseball, and never thought about NASCAR again. Now I only check in once a year to confirm that Jimmy Johnson is still billion-time consecutive champ... yep.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Competiton in motor sports has largely become concentrated in just a few teams in many different areas of the sport. In Indy Car racing, Team Penske and Chip Ganassi Racing are prohibitive favorites to win the season title and most of the races, with the other teams only hoping to snatch a victory here and there. For years Formula One had only a couple of dominant teams (and sometimes it was Ferrari and nobody else), although last season was much more competitive among several teams. The importance of money and sponsorship have made it increasingly difficult for a driver not on one of the few "superteams" to be competitive in most areas of the sport.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    Because of that corporate greed many great races have been taken off the schedule i.e. Darlington, North Wilkesboro, Rockingham, and I think one of the Atlanta races is gone as well. It is a shame that a once great PURE American sport has now been ruined.
    Unless you meant "pure Southeastern sport," some of that was inevitable as races spread out across the country, given there are only so many weekends in a year. It's going to be tough for any but the most popular tracks to keep two race dates indefinitely.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Unless you meant "pure Southeastern sport," some of that was inevitable as races spread out across the country, given there are only so many weekends in a year. It's going to be tough for any but the most popular tracks to keep two race dates indefinitely.
    You're damn right I meant that Nascar was to be a pure SOUTHERN sport, I can't stand these little whine-asses from California and states other than North Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, and Kentucky dominating the sport, it just ain't right, Nascar needs more Dale Earnhardts, Darrell Waltrips, Dale Earnhardts, Mark Martins, Dale EArnhardts, Rusty Wallaces, Dale Earnhardts, Dick Trickles, Dale Earnhardts, Ricky Bobbys, Dale Earnhardts, Cale Yarboroughs, Dale EArnhardts, Bobby Allisons, Benny Parsons, Bill Elliotts, Neil Bonnetts, and Harry Gants (you know the type of drivers that would glady wreck their own mother or grandmother to win a race). I can't stand this new crop of sissy boys representing the good ole sport of the South.

Legends Never Die

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    You're damn right I meant that Nascar was to be a pure SOUTHERN sport, I can't stand these little whine-asses from California and states other than North Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, and Kentucky dominating the sport, it just ain't right, Nascar needs more Dale Earnhardts, Darrell Waltrips, Dale Earnhardts, Mark Martins, Dale EArnhardts, Rusty Wallaces, Dale Earnhardts, Dick Trickles, Dale Earnhardts, Ricky Bobbys, Dale Earnhardts, Cale Yarboroughs, Dale EArnhardts, Bobby Allisons, Benny Parsons, Bill Elliotts, Neil Bonnetts, and Harry Gants (you know the type of drivers that would glady wreck their own mother or grandmother to win a race). I can't stand this new crop of sissy boys representing the good ole sport of the South.
    Will it is funny that you say that. The GIRL yes I said GIRL that I have worked with for four years on her car who will be making her debut this season in the Arca series is that type of driver. An example without giving away who she is since our Arca deal isn't 100% yet last year we were leading our late model race and had been all night. She however was getting caught by a pair of teammates and we knew she was going to get caught before the checkered flew. Sure enough she got caught with 5 to go and she blocked and blocked but it is hard to make your bumper wide enough to block both cars. With two laps to go she was passed by one and continued to hold off the other while he beat the good out of her back bumper, last lap she bumped the leader moved him out of the way and took the lead and the win! Well the two guys weren't too happy about that and the one she had bumped spun her on the cool down lap. We got the trophy she talked got back in the car and drove it to the pits, I walked out off the track into the pit area by the time she got back with the car I could tell she was heated. She slammed the car out of gear threw down her net and the next thing I know I am running after her to the other guys pits and she all of 5'2'' is getting in their faces yelling at them that she swears they wont wreck her again. I have never seen two grown men get so scared in my life. Then one stepped up and started talking back I literally had to grab her by the waist and carry her back to the car under my arm. Needless to say when we got back she took out the hammer and beat the heck out of the bent bumper sheet metal to get her frustrations out. That is why when people tell us she is like Danica Patrick we say yeah but with two differences: 1. She can win and 2. She'll wreck ya to win and she isn't afraid of anyone.
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

Turn Off Ads?