Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty at Marshall

Marty at Marshall

Marty is apparently honing his Grumpy Old Man persona...

On Saturday night during Marshall University’s preseason baseball banquet and fundraiser at the Cam Henderson Center, Brennaman - the keynote speaker - determined that Marshall’s president must be “queer” for softball since the university managed to open a $2.5 million softball facility in March 2008, but baseball is still traveling for home games.

Think that’ll go over well with the guy - Marshall President Stephen Kopp - who is partly responsible for bringing a Herd baseball facility to Huntington?

...“They’ve (Pirates) probably improved themselves, which means they’ll probably lose 97 games,” said Brennaman of the Pirates, who were 57-105 in 2010. “There’s no light at the end of the tunnel for that franchise. There really isn’t.

“I don’t think it has great ownership, I don’t think it has great baseball expertise in its front office, and is strapped for finances, which is probably the single biggest problem. I feel bad for them. PNC Park is one of the fine ballparks in Major League Baseball.”

...Brennaman offered his assessment on the Cardinals, Cubs, Pirates and Brewers.

St. Louis Cardinals - “I’m not a big St. Louis fan, because I’m not a big Tony LaRussa fan. I refer to him as ‘Mr. Baseball’ on the radio, because he acts like he invented the game.”

Chicago Cubs - “The Chicago Cubs won’t be a factor because, no matter how much they add to their club, at the end of the day, they’ve got ‘Cubs’ across the front of their jerseys. That’s the reason why they won’t win.”

"The franchise we all have to be worried about is the Milwaukee Brewers. What they've done is mortgage their future for one shot. That's this season. They lose Prince Fielder, probably to free agency at the end of this year. They've traded away almost every good, young prospect in their organization in order to try to be better than the Reds and the Cardinals."

Last edited by chicoruiz; 02-07-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marty at Marshall

Remind me to stay off Marty's lawn. I know most people love the guy, but I'm not among them. The old-lefthander (RIP) really tempered him well. I don't need somebody to blow smoke, but Marty has really moved in to "get-off-my-lawn" territory.

When you listen to the likes of Jon Miller, Vin Scully, Bob Uecker -- they can be critical, but they bring a certain joy to it as well. Maybe Marty is a good fit for the city, with it's Napoleon complex underlying everything, but I'm ready for a fresh voice.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 02-07-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think Marty is probably an unhappy person...not sure why or what happened to make him that way but I think this is where he has landed. Is he stuck in "unhappy" the rest of his life? I hope not.

The one thing he said that I find ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS and TRUE is

Chicago Cubs - “The Chicago Cubs won’t be a factor because, no matter how much they add to their club, at the end of the day, they’ve got ‘Cubs’ across the front of their jerseys. That’s the reason why they won’t win.”
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Wow. Marty, what were you thinking? Jeez. I love that he's proud of the Reds, but he just came off as egotistical imho. I hope this blows over because I really don't want to hear about all this stuff more than once.

Just being an ambassador for the game in his own way....

That's our little "hall of famer."
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

They're going to have to drag him kicking and screaming from the microphone.

yep he's kinda over the top alot of the time and if he were an announcer for another organization he'd surely tick me off but i do like the fact that you get his opinion and not the usual vanilla opinions that we hear so often...political correctness has run it's course with me. Having said all that I do get the fact that Marty seems to think he's bigger than Elvis.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Maybe the bar was kept open a little too long before the keynote speech?

Haha. I mean, I think it's funny. Especially the comment about the Cubs.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    i do like the fact that you get his opinion and not the usual vanilla opinions that we hear so often...political correctness has run it's course with me.
    I got no problem with his mentioning his views of the other team, but you don't keynote a university fundraiser and dog the president of the place. That's just stupid.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I got no problem with his mentioning his views of the other team, but you don't keynote a university fundraiser and dog the president of the place. That's just stupid.
    oh yeah that part was pretty rude to say the least...even Elvis would've known better than that

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    If you knew the situation you might understand. The Marshall President's office has been fairly hostile towards building a baseball facility. As it is the team has to drive 50 miles for their "home" games because no C-USA team will play at the Herd's home field. The baseball community in Huntingotn is getting pretty restless.

Regardless of what he said about the University Prez, his baseball musings were pretty spot on.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Regardless of what he said about the University Prez, his baseball musings were pretty spot on.
    I thought his quotes were quite accurate. I can't comment on his "queer" comment because that wasn't quoted. I'd love to see exactly what he said

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Remind me to stay off Marty's lawn. I know most people love the guy, but I'm not among them. The old-lefthander (RIP) really tempered him well. I don't need somebody to blow smoke, but Marty has really moved in to "get-off-my-lawn" territory.

When you listen to the likes of Jon Miller, Vin Scully, Bob Uecker -- they can be critical, but they bring a certain joy to it as well. Maybe Marty is a good fit for the city, with it's Napoleon complex underlying everything, but I'm ready for a fresh voice.
    What comment rubbed you the wrong way? The Cubs? Cardinals?

I'd much prefer a speaker to say those things than the customary "those Pirates will surprise some people this year."

Marty knows at his age he can say whatever he wants and I find that refreshing in this politically correct world

Turn Off Ads?