Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Listening to Reds' Games on an Android Device?

Listening to Reds' Games on an Android Device?

Hi all,

When the Reds have afternoon games and I'm at work, it's tough for me to listen because 1). the company I work for is not too liberal with non-business internet usage, so streaming online isn't an option and 2). the small boombox I have at work doesn't get very good reception inside the office. Unless I'm missing something obvious, the only other thing I can think of is to listen to a stream on my Android phone. Does anyone know of an application that gets a simulcast or some other way to listen this way? I'm fairly sure that the iheartradio app isn't an option because I believe Reds' games are blacked out online/via a phone app; if that's not the case, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Listening to Reds' Games on an Android Device?

You could probably listen via a subscription, but I don't think you will be able to do so for free. At least legally.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You could probably listen via a subscription, but I don't think you will be able to do so for free. At least legally.
    Are we talking like the MLB at Bat app for Android? If so, I believe I had considered that option but it was too expensive to be able to listen to the relatively small amount of weekday afternoon games the Reds have. I can't remember the price but I recall it being enough that I'd just get by with the subpar radio reception I get.

i have no technical abilities or knowledge...I tivo all the games and my biggest hurdle is trying to get home before someone tells me the outcome...my golfing buddies(RedSox and Card fans) love to tick me off my texting me during the day

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    i have no technical abilities or knowledge...I tivo all the games and my biggest hurdle is trying to get home before someone tells me the outcome...my golfing buddies(RedSox and Card fans) love to tick me off my texting me during the day
    I occasionally have that problem with a few other sports teams when I have plans that prevent me from watching a game live. It usually doesn't apply to the Reds, though, because the afternoon weekday games are rarely, if ever, televised in Cincinnati.

I occasionally have that problem with a few other sports teams when I have plans that prevent me from watching a game live. It usually doesn't apply to the Reds, though, because the afternoon weekday games are rarely, if ever, televised in Cincinnati.
    'Bout all of 'em will be this year, as we have so many national games, and FSO has to fill its 145-game quota.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Are we talking like the MLB at Bat app for Android? If so, I believe I had considered that option but it was too expensive to be able to listen to the relatively small amount of weekday afternoon games the Reds have. I can't remember the price but I recall it being enough that I'd just get by with the subpar radio reception I get.
    I have an iPhone, and for what it's worth MLB at bat 2010 cost $14.99, so I would assume the same price for 2011.

Not sure if that affects your decision one way or the other, but just throwing that out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Boss,

Try downloading the "TuneIn Radio" app. I'm not sure if you'll actually be able to get MLB games (I'm sure MLB locks down on those pretty hard), but you can basically connect to a large amount of radio stations for any city in the country. So you could try the Reds broadcast in Cincinnati (probably blocked), Columbus, Dayton, etc. PM me if you want some more details/explanation. I listen to WVU games all the time on it, and the quality is incredible (slight delay though).

I use the atbat on my iPhone. It is well worth it. The information you can get box scores actual game time stats and you can listen to all the games of any team. I love it. Well worth the money. I would be lost without it. Highly recommend it.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Boss,

Try downloading the "TuneIn Radio" app. I'm not sure if you'll actually be able to get MLB games (I'm sure MLB locks down on those pretty hard), but you can basically connect to a large amount of radio stations for any city in the country. So you could try the Reds broadcast in Cincinnati (probably blocked), Columbus, Dayton, etc. PM me if you want some more details/explanation. I listen to WVU games all the time on it, and the quality is incredible (slight delay though).
    I actually have that app and I'm hoping I'm able to pick up a station that broadcasts Reds' games where it's not blocked. I guess I won't know if that will work until the games start.

MLB At Bat is not as expensive ($14.99 for the year) as I remember it being. My only holdup with that is I suspect I may be blacked out in the Cincinnati area since the specifications state that it's subject to blackout. Can anyone who has it confirm if that is the case?

MLB At Bat is not as expensive ($14.99 for the year) as I remember it being. My only holdup with that is I suspect I may be blacked out in the Cincinnati area since the specifications state that it's subject to blackout. Can anyone who has it confirm if that is the case?
    You can listen to the games on the MLB AT Bat app. The audio is not blacked out if you get the app which I highly recommend. They usually have one or two games on video each day on the app as well. When a Reds game is carried on video those do get blacked out locally but you should be fine for audio of the games.

Thanks for confirming - I guess what I saw in the product specs is only applicable to the video portion, as you mentioned. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    You can listen to the games on the MLB AT Bat app. The audio is not blacked out if you get the app which I highly recommend. They usually have one or two games on video each day on the app as well. When a Reds game is carried on video those do get blacked out locally but you should be fine for audio of the games.

Thanks for confirming - I guess what I saw in the product specs is only applicable to the video portion, as you mentioned. Thanks again.
    It's a great app Boss. I'd highly recommend it. I never encountered any blackout issues, so I don't think that applies to the radio portion. I think the $15 is a fair price as you have access to all MLB games, and you can select the home or away broadcast. It also adds highlight video clips during the games. I definitely got my $15 out of it last year.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I work downtown Cincinnati and can't get an AM radio signal to penetrate the concrete jungle I'm in. MLB at BAT2010 for my blackberry was the best 15$ I spent last year. You get the audio streaming live, but also get the video highlights (usually every half inning behind) and condensed games also. I still go back and watch Bruces' homerun that clinched the division.

*edit Forgot to add the only downside to the app on my Blackberry was, it drained my battery faster than my wife drains the bank account. So have remote charging capabilities if possible.
    Last edited by Caveman Techie; 02-10-2011 at 08:16 AM.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Turn Off Ads?