Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

  1. #1
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    Thought I'd share this piece from John Erardi.

    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ough-decisions

    .

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,837

    Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    "Its never as simple as just the K's"

    That phrase should be stickied and automatically pop-up every time anyone posts. Cutting the K's is great, but if it comes at the expense of cutting some walks and extra base hits, its not worth it.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  4. #3
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    The link's no good dude. Don't have a clue what the problem is.

    320
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

  5. #4
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,309

    Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    The link's no good dude. Don't have a clue what the problem is.

    320
    You have to click on skip this ad to get to the article.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,133

    Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    Erardi's done better. Claiming that a platoon of Lewis and Gomes is a downgrade because Gomes hits lefties better than Lewis hits righties is plain dumb.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  7. #6
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Erardi's done better. Claiming that a platoon of Lewis and Gomes is a downgrade because Gomes hits lefties better than Lewis hits righties is plain dumb.
    That part threw me a little as well. I read it a couple of times thinking maybe I was missing something.

  8. #7
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    Wow. I've grown to expect a lot better from Eradi. That didn't even sound like him.

  9. #8
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,297

    Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    I thought the defense thing about Lewis was pretty interesting.

  10. #9
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,771

    Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Erardi's done better. Claiming that a platoon of Lewis and Gomes is a downgrade because Gomes hits lefties better than Lewis hits righties is plain dumb.
    His point is that Gomes hits lefties at a higher clip than Lewis hits righties. So Gomes, who he already stated is popular and that Baker hates platoons, is going to have far better numbers than Lewis, which would then justify Gomes playing all the time (logic being Baker can say Gomes is hitting .320, Lewis is hitting .270, ergo Gomes needs more at bats).

    In short, Gomes demolishing lefties in strict platoon while dwarfing Lewis' numbers versus righties could lead Baker back to Gomes full time, especially because as Erardi mentions there are twice as many at bats available for the left-handed portion of strict platoon.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

  11. #10
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    His point is that Gomes hits lefties at a higher clip than Lewis hits righties. So Gomes, who he already stated is popular and that Baker hates platoons, is going to have far better numbers than Lewis, which would then justify Gomes playing all the time (logic being Baker can say Gomes is hitting .320, Lewis is hitting .270, ergo Gomes needs more at bats).

    In short, Gomes demolishing lefties in strict platoon while dwarfing Lewis' numbers versus righties could lead Baker back to Gomes full time, especially because as Erardi mentions there are twice as many at bats available for the left-handed portion of strict platoon.
    I sincerely hope that Baker doesn't think that way. But I do see your point.

  12. #11
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,309

    Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I thought the defense thing about Lewis was pretty interesting.
    Yea me too. Does anyone know what he is saying is true about Lewis? If it is then LF will be an adventure defensively again this season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  13. #12
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    As excited as I was having a highish OBP guy to leadoff and play left, I keep reverting back to the fact that Fred Lewis was non-tendered.

    I don't think he's going to end up being an RZ fan favorite.

  14. #13
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,029

    Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    I find it frustrating that he lumped in Lewis with Gomes defensively. There's being a mediocre defender. There's being a poor defender. And there's having no business out there at all.

    Lewis is mediocre. Gomes is one of the worst defensive LF in baseball. It's not an insignificant difference.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  15. #14
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yea me too. Does anyone know what he is saying is true about Lewis? If it is then LF will be an adventure defensively again this season.
    I remember watching Lewis play LF some on TV when he was with the Giants. He is fast, but he takes some very interesting routes at times too. He's way better defensively than Gomes but he'll never be confused for a Gold Glover.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  16. #15
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I remember watching Lewis play LF some on TV when he was with the Giants. He is fast, but he takes some very interesting routes at times too. He's way better defensively than Gomes but he'll never be confused for a Gold Glover.
    So he's an upgrade over Gomes defensively. And he hits RHP better than Gomes. Not sure why this would be all that difficult, at least to start the year anyway. Give Gomes some starts against RHP on occasion so he's not sitting for extended periods waiting for a LH starter.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25