Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When (if ever) was the last time you were this excited for a Reds season?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

When (if ever) was the last time you were this excited for a Reds season?

Last year at this time, there was guarded optimism from most on RZ. But after being beat down with nine consecutive losing seasons, most of us were a bit gun-shy to predict big things. I thought they would finally have a winning record (I predicted 83-79) but I did not expect an NL Central title ... winning comfortably by 5 games over the Cards.

This year, the Reds have the best and deepest starting rotation that any of us can ever remember. It's so good that the hardest-throwing human on the planet -- a man everyone thought would be a starter when the Reds signed him -- will pitch out of the bullpen. In fact, there are so many good starters, one deserving pitcher is going to have to go to Triple-A (or the bullpen) to start the season because there are six legitimately good starting pitchers on the club: Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, Wood, Bailey, Leake. So, the starting pitching is shaping up to be very good and we all know how crucial that is to a baseball team's success.

Then the bullpen isn't great IMO, but it will be at least solid. Hopefully Cordero can at least hold his own as the closer. We know he's not going to be anything special, but hopefully he doesn't do anything to greatly hurt the team either. Then I love the two set-up guys with the aforementioned Chapman and Masset. I also like Bray as the #4 and Ondrusek as the #5. And there are a lot of solid candidates for the other spots like Arredondo, Burton, Herrera, Donnie Joseph, Jordan Smith and Dontrelle Willis. (And a couple more.) Bullpen shouldn't be anything that holds the team back and has the potential to be a minor strength.

Offensively, the team returns the NL MVP, a player that should put up very similar numbers if he stays healthy. Votto is not the type of guy that is going to be inconsistent throughout his career -- he's that good. He's the perfect anchor for the lineup in the 3-hole and if he plays 150 games the offense will always be dangerous. I like the idea of a platoon situation in LF with Lewis batting leadoff against righties and Gomes batting somewhere like sixth against lefties. I think Jay Bruce is going to continue to improve and this will be the year he gets over 30 HRs. He will be inconsistent though, unlike Votto. But Bruce is going to slowly get better and the way he ended last season was very encouraging. Also, you won't find a better defensive right fielder at the present time in Major League Baseball. That is saying quite a bit.

Rolen is a wildcard due to his health, but hopefully he will at least help the team get off to a good first half like he did last year. Let's hope the rest he received this offseason will rejuvenate him. Plus, maybe Juan Francisco will be able to give him extra days off this year (and Cairo can obviously provide spot starts at third as well). Rolen broke down by the end of last season and I know everyone is expecting the exact same thing to happen this year, but who knows. Worst case, I hope Scotty Roles has a big first half again and allows the Reds to build a lead in the division. I also love his defense when healthy (and actually able to bend over so he can get his glove all the way down to the dirt). For some reason, I think Rolen will piece together another good season and they'll find a way to prevent him from completely breaking down by the end of the year. It's not like he's 39 or 40. He's 35. No spring chicken, but not quite ready for a nursing home either.

Phillips will be Phillips. Very streaky offensively, but overall will be an asset to the lineup. He might have to leadoff the days Gomes starts -- but I don't have a problem with that. And he's also one of the best defensive second baggers in baseball.

Stubbs will be streaky as well and hopefully they can avoid ever batting him in the leadoff spot. He needs to bat sixth or seventh in the order -- he's very comfortable there and the numbers prove it. Stubbs has amazing speed tracking balls in the outfield, but tends to have a problem playing balls at or near the wall. Hopefully he gets over that "phobia" or whatever you want to call it because it's the only thing preventing him from being a great defensive centerfielder.

I love the catching tandem with Hanigan and Hernandez. If they can be as productive as last year (which is asking a lot) the Reds will be in very good hands once again. Hanigan is clearly the better of the two defensively, so I hope he ends up getting the majority of the starts. But it will basically be a platoon again.

At shortstop, I tend to think it will be a straight platoon with Janish and Renteria. I know management is saying the job is Janish's, but I don't think they would have signed Renteria if they really believe that Janish is the full-time answer. I expect these guys to log roughly the same amount of starts this season, unless one of them gets injured, or one of them gets really hot.

Overall, I've never been so excited for spring training to begin. I was born in 1976, so I just missed the BRM days. And I was excited in 1991 after the World Series championship year, but something told me the Reds weren't going to catch lightning in a bottle two straight years. I just really think the 2011 Reds have all the makings of a team that will be in the race all year and that's very exciting to me as a lifelong diehard fan.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: When (if ever) was the last time you were this excited for a Reds season?

And looking back, I was excited entering the 2000 season. The Reds just signed Griffey and were coming off a great 1999 season. However, that was fool's gold. The pitching staff was never going to allow that team to compete. We were just excited because of the '99 team overachieving and the acquisition of Griffey. This year, we legitimately have a chance at being a very good team.

The last time I was this excited for a team was before the 2007 WVU Football season. This team can't POSSIBLY kick me in the teeth harder than that team did.

I could not be more excited. Solid post Blitz.

2000, Junior driven. My excitement was tempered by the reality of a rotation that could only hope to be average at best.

1977. Coming off two straight World Championships how could you not be excited?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

This is probably the most excited I've been since The Reds acquired Junior Griffey.

I'm still hesitant to make any grand predictions, but this team has some real ability to go out and make some noise. I can't ever remember a Reds team stacked with so much talent.

Remember when Joey Hamilton started on opening day? Or Jimmy Haynes? I'm so glad those days are gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I am excited every year regardless how good the team is expected to be. However in 1992 I remember being really excited because I felt like the acquisition of Greg Swindell, Tim Belcher and Bip Roberts would bring another WS to the Reds. Bad call on my part.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I was born in '83, so I missed all the BRM hoopla. Next to 2011, the most excited I've been for Reds baseball was going into the 2000 season. The Reds had missed the playoffs by only one game, and they had just brought in Griffey to keep the Reds atop the standings for the next decade. Whoops.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

As a Reds fan since the 70s, I have been disappointed by high expectations too many times. I don't expect a division title or even a playoff spot, but I will welcome it if it happens again. Anyone who thinks the Reds will coast to a title could be in for a surprise. It's a long season and a lot can happen.

This is the most excited I've been since 2010. Before that the most excited I've been was 2009, 2008 and 2007. In other words I'm easily excitable when it comes to baseball.

I have higher expectations for this season than any previous season over the past decade or so. Whatever happens I'll enjoy the ride.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

2000 here. but it probably paled in comparison for this. I was excited last year as well.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I was just talking to my Dad about this today. I've never been as excited for a season than I am now, and that's saying ALOT.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

2000 - Reds just traded for their favorite son and the best player in baseball.
    2003 - Remember how the team was built around winning in 2003. Sparkling new stadium.
    2007 - Josh Hamilton. I was just excited to watch his story unfold. From his drafting, to his spring, to his pinch hitter appearance on opening day. It was a fun story to watch unfold.

Don't get me wrong I am excited about this upcoming baseball season. A little anxious because the the lofty expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I am excited every year regardless how good the team is expected to be. However in 1992 I remember being really excited because I felt like the acquisition of Greg Swindell, Tim Belcher and Bip Roberts would bring another WS to the Reds. Bad call on my part.
    Not necessarily a "bad call". In my opinion, the 1992 team was better than the 1990 team. They simply couldn't beat the Braves.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I was convinced that Swindell, Belcher, Browning & Rijo were all going to win 20 games that season. So I young and stupid at the time, but I just knew it was going to happen. Obviously it didn't; I was rather excited prior to 2000 when Jr came to town, following the magical 1999 season that was as fun to follow as any season I've watched the reds. Unlike last year when the Cards just kind of faded away, the back & forth b/w the Astros and the Reds was great, the period when the Reds knocked off like 8 straight games vs teams in 1st place. Just a fun, fun season, despite it collapsing so hard over the last 4 games (including the game vs the Mets)

Turn Off Ads?