Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I need a new desktop.

I need a new desktop.

I'm in the market for a gaming PC. The game I want to play the most is StarCraft II. I don't need something that'll run Crysis on full blast, but SC II on full blast.

Now for the part I would like some help with.

Should I buy a computer that meets the recommended requirements of the game, or build one myself? I am not computer illiterate, but it will be a challenge to build one. What is the best bang for the buck?

Thanks,
    SCR
    Let's make some noise!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I need a new desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    I'm in the market for a gaming PC. The game I want to play the most is StarCraft II. I don't need something that'll run Crysis on full blast, but SC II on full blast.

Should I buy a computer that meets the recommended requirements of the game, or build one myself? I am not computer illiterate, but it will be a challenge to build one. What is the best bang for the buck?

Thanks,
    SCR
    In my experience, your best bang for your buck is to build one. I haven't found it overly difficult and nowadays, there's plenty of great resources available on the internet if you need help. The ability to completely customize it the way you want it sealed the deal for me.

Thanks,
    SCR
    Build one yourself. Whether you can max it out depends on what resolution you're playing at. A Phenom II X4 955 and a Radeon HD 5770 should do the trick. You may be able to get those two parts for $260. Add a $50 HD, $50 RAM, $80 mobo, $20 DVD, $50 PSU, and a $40 case and you'll have a nice system for around $550. I was maxing it out at 1280x1024 with an Athlon II X3 and a Radeon HD 4850 not too long ago (would cut your cost by about $90 if you downgrade to those). Had some problems, play it a lot more nicely now with slightly upgraded hardware, though. It's not that demanding of a game.

Building it is really easy. Rule of thumb is that if you have to force it in, it doesn't go there.
    Last edited by lonewolf371; 02-10-2011 at 05:28 PM.

You can usually find good deals on components, including the case, motherboard, processor, etc, at tigerdirect.com. If you build your own PC, bear in mind that you'll have to install an operating system.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    You can usually find good deals on components, including the case, motherboard, processor, etc, at tigerdirect.com. If you build your own PC, bear in mind that you'll have to install an operating system.
    TigerDirect and Newegg. Gotta mention both.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about newegg. Both are excellent.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Legends Never Die

If you are going to build a pc I have found that using my 32 in tv as a monitor works wonderful with an hdmi cable. Of course I have a gaming tv that has a higher refresh rate. Just an idea if you decide to build one.
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf371 View Post
    TigerDirect and Newegg. Gotta mention both.
    and Frys and microcenter http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/index2.html

and http://www.slickdeals.net and http://www.fatwallet.com

Legends Never Die

Microcenter always has good sales so watch out for those they completely slipped my mind.
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

I kinda plan on using my 42 LG HD tv. Big living room, and wireless keyboard and mouse would make it optimal for gaming I was thinking.
    Let's make some noise!

I kinda plan on using my 42 LG HD tv. Big living room, and wireless keyboard and mouse would make it optimal for gaming I was thinking.
    Wireless peripherals are actually not optimal for gaming because they are less responsive than those that are wired. This means that it will take longer for what you do (move the mouse, click it, push a button, whatever) to register with your computer. That said, SC2 probably doesn't require too much in the way of "twitchiness," so you'll probably be fine. I play games like Monday Night Combat and Team Fortress 2 with a wireless keyboard and it's usually fine, though every once in a while there will be a noticeable lag between pushing a button and its in game effect.

On putting together a new system, yes, it's much cheaper to build one yourself. If you don't have any experience, I'd recommend having a friend who's done it before help you out the first time, especially when you install your CPU, as you've got to be careful with it. Other than that, just make sure you're buying components that are compatible with one another, that you have a static free working environment, and that you read the directions. It's pretty hard to plug something into the wrong slot now, which is good because that hasn't always been the case. If there's a Fry's Electronics or something like that around where you live, you also might consider buying your parts from them because it can be a pain trying to figure out which of the six parts you bought is defective, so that way you won't have to wait weeks to get replacements.

Turn Off Ads?