Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Twins Considering Trading Francisco Liriano

The Twins Considering Trading Francisco Liriano

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...cisco-liriano/

With six pitchers vying for five spots in the Twins starting rotation, one possible solution is trading Francisco Liriano. Speaking to team officials recently, I’ve been surprised how open they are to this possibility, but the logic makes sense … One thing is clear: The Twins don’t plan to sign him long term.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Twins Considering Trading Francisco Liriano

Paging Mr. Cashman. Paging Mr. Cashman...
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Paging Mr. Cashman. Paging Mr. Cashman...
    Perhaps, but I think the Yankees are going to need to start retaining prospects if they hope to regain their glory. Remember, the Boss isn't around anymore, and the current Steinbrenner regime has said the team will need to get younger.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Perhaps, but I think the Yankees are going to need to start retaining prospects if they hope to regain their glory. Remember, the Boss isn't around anymore, and the current Steinbrenner regime has said the team will need to get younger.
    You trade anyone not named Phillip Hughes (and even he is arguable). You get younger by the shear fact that Liriano is basically replacing Pettitte. He's been that good except coming back from Tommy John.

I know we wouldn't likely make a good fit for the Twins with so many of our key trading chips being "almost ready pitchers" but would some package involved Alonso interest the Twins?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I know we wouldn't likely make a good fit for the Twins with so many of our key trading chips being "almost ready pitchers" but would some package involved Alonso interest the Twins?
    IDK. For the Twins, it doesn't make that much sense. They're pretty stocked up at 1B/DH with Morneau, Cuddyer, Kubel, and Thome. They've got Young entrenched in LF too.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    IDK. For the Twins, it doesn't make that much sense. They're pretty stocked up at 1B/DH with Morneau, Cuddyer, Kubel, and Thome. They've got Young entrenched in LF too.

And it doesn't really make sense for us. Liriano is going to get really pricey and he has been unreliable and a health risk thus far in his career. We need to buy low, not buy high.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I understand if the main reason they'd trade him is due to money.

But I'd never deal a guy like Liriano because they have 6 guys for 5 spots. You can never, ever, ever have enough pitching. The Reds probably don't win the division in 2010 without all that pitching depth.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

He had TJ surgery. it doesn't mean he is unreliable, it means he had surgery. Lots of guys have surgery.

Not a lot of guys striking out 201 in 191IP.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

IIRC, he's had health issues since coming back from TJ surgery.

I believe he remains a health risk. He's getting expensive. The Twins simply want to cash out while he still has good trade value.

He's a very risky acquisition but with huge upside.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I understand if the main reason they'd trade him is due to money.

But I'd never deal a guy like Liriano because they have 6 guys for 5 spots. You can never, ever, ever have enough pitching. The Reds probably don't win the division in 2010 without all that pitching depth.
    Awesome. Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Awesome. Avatar.
    Heh, thanks. I'd never even watched a full episode of HIMYM until this year, then ended up getting hooked and buying the first 5 seasons on DVD within about 3 weeks of each other. Just an awesome show.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    IIRC, he's had health issues since coming back from TJ surgery.

I believe he remains a health risk. He's getting expensive. The Twins simply want to cash out while he still has good trade value.

He's a very risky acquisition but with huge upside.
    Just took him a while to fully recover. He was one of those guys that IMO came back a bit too soon.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?