Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL CBA Discussion

Re: NFL CBA Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    What I don't understand is how, when the NFL is clearly at it's height in popularity and revenue, the owners can then justify wanting to take $1 billion off the table from the start?

Also, if Goodell and the owners are so concerned about the players health with concussions and illegal hits, etc., then why do they want to move to an 18 game schedule and haven't increased health care benefits to former players?
    It's my understanding that they took $1B off the top in 2009 so that's nothing new, but the players got 60% of what was left.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nobody has said that a player making $300K for three years is set for life. I can think of almost no jobs that will do that.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's my understanding that they took $1B off the top in 2009 so that's nothing new, but the players got 60% of what was left.
    Yes that is true, but now the owners want to take $2B off the top and renegotiate the percentage that the players get.

Yes that is true, but now the owners want to take $2B off the top and renegotiate the percentage that the players get.
    That is correct. You didn't think they were going to go through the trouble to re-open this and come out with the same deal, did you?

That is correct. You didn't think they were going to go through the trouble to re-open this and come out with the same deal, did you?
    No, but $2B off the top plus a larger percentage is a lot of money. I wonder what the total "pie" really is.

If I were the players I would say take the other billion but put it in writing that it has to go to improving the game and/or health benefits for retired players.

Cut ticket prices for me. I'm the one who needs the money, not these whiney silver spoon people.

Unions and owners are terrible IMO.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    And I make $50,000 a year, taxes take around 33% of my money. I have a mortgage to pay and insurance to pay and all kinds of costs that pop up over the course of a year. If something happens to me or I spend some money I don't have its on me! Its not on my boss or the owners of my company.

Comments like this create a society of entitlement. I would be thrilled to make $900,000 and pay 33% in taxes because that would mean I take home a lot of money over the course of a year.
    You're not contradicting anything I wrote, although your tone makes it sound like you think you are.

Joseph: the market bears the higher ticket prices. That's not going to change no matter how unions and owners divvy up the money.

I don't know why anyone cares about high NFL ticket prices anyway, the game's better on tv nowadays with HD.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that $1B apparently the money set aside for expenses? I know $1B is a lot of money but expenses for a NFL team will be huge. And if I were in the situation of the owners I wouldn't want to open up my books for the players to see.

No, but $2B off the top plus a larger percentage is a lot of money. I wonder what the total "pie" really is.

If I were the players I would say take the other billion but put it in writing that it has to go to improving the game and/or health benefits for retired players.
    It sure is a lot of money. Like I said, I think the owners are going for it all this time around. They want a lot more of the pie than they've gotten in the past. They're not going through all this trouble just to come out of it like they were before.

The total "pie" was reported as $9B

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that $1B apparently the money set aside for expenses? I know $1B is a lot of money but expenses for a NFL team will be huge. And if I were in the situation of the owners I wouldn't want to open up my books for the players to see.
    I don't know what the justification is for the $1B. The biggest expense is player payroll.

I don't know what the justification is for the $1B. The biggest expense is player payroll.
    The payroll far exceeds 1B. The cap is somewhere around $110M and that payroll is the amount of money that is being disputed. I thought the $1B has more to do with the day to day expenses of the football team. The equipment, the travel, the perks the players get, etc.

The payroll far exceeds 1B. The cap is somewhere around $110M and that payroll is the amount of money that is being disputed. I thought the $1B has more to do with the day to day expenses of the football team. The equipment, the travel, the perks the players get, etc.
    Of course. The payroll part of this is the biggest part. In 2009 the cap was $130B per team. Looks like the owners want that reduced to about $110B. I don't think that'll happen without a long lockout.

Perhaps it is time I learn about this "hockey" game others speak of. I don't think NFL football will be played much in 2011.

Perhaps it is time I learn about this "hockey" game others speak of. I don't think NFL football will be played much in 2011.
    The NHL--owners and union--was smart after their last disaster. If a new CBA isn't agreed upon by the end of the 2011-2012 season, the old CBA will be grandfathered in until a resolution of the dispute. Thus there will be no league killing work stoppage, one which the NHL probably couldn't recover from this time.

All I know is if I owned a lemonade stand I'd want to be making a profit and the bigger part of the profit, let alone a multi billion dollar corporation. It is up to me to pay labor according to the service I expect in return. If I want the best damn lemonade salesmen on the planet it is gonna cost me a good chunk but until that guy makes enough to buy his own lemonade stand (and BTW why would I want to pay my employees so well that they become my competition) he shouldn't be making what I make off the profit, not anywhere close. It is my vision, it was my hard work that got it started, I provide all the resources for it to happen and continue happening, why is it ok that someone else gets a similar percentage of the pie as I do? If any person here owned such a business would they feel any different than I?

Hey I'm all for giving someone a fair (and even more than fair) paycheck and overall compensation package but taking 2 Billion off the table out of 9 billion from the start doesn't seem greedy to me, it seems fairly reasonable.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?