Thread: Reds blog: 5 Biggest Question Marks for Reds Entering Spring Training

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Reds blog: 5 Biggest Question Marks for Reds Entering Spring Training

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Reds blog: 5 Biggest Question Marks for Reds Entering Spring Training

I hope I'm not the only one getting this error:
    404 Not Found

Warning: Our system has determined your activity as hostile, threatening and harmful to our network.
    You have been permanently banned from accessing our property.
    Your data signatures have already been collected as evidence.
    Further attempts will initiate pro-active action leading to prosecution.

If you feel you have reached this page in error, please clear your cookies and try again.
    If you still cannot access the site, contact us through the form below. All fields are required.

Hmmm ... I just checked again and it's working for me. Maybe just try:

www.threewaychili.com

I hope he's right about Francisco. I'm not really sure what Juan can/will become in the majors, but I'd like to see him getting 1-2 starts a week at 3b to give Rolen days off thru the season and keep him fresh, as well as mentor Juan a little bit. I'd also try and get him a little bit of time in LF as well, perhaps vs a righty when you want to get Stubbs a day off and move Lewis to CF. I'm not sure that a Lewis/Fransisco combo in LF-CF is the worst idea ever, but it has the potential to be in that ball park. I'd at least give it a look see in spring training for a few games early on while also working Juan at 3B as often as possible.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Hmmm ... I just checked again and it's working for me. Maybe just try:

www.threewaychili.com
    I'm still getting the same error. My work must have it blocked or something along those lines.

Here are the answers to his 5 questions in order

Bailey and Wood

Brandon Phillips [ugh]

Leake and Arredondo

You can't 'platoon' two right hand hitters can you? Janish.

Alonso to AAA and Francisco to the bench.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Here are the answers to his 5 questions in order

Bailey and Wood

Brandon Phillips [ugh]

Leake and Arredondo

You can't 'platoon' two right hand hitters can you? Janish.

Alonso to AAA and Francisco to the bench.
    Why couldn't you platoon two right-handed hitters? What would you call the Reds' catching situation last year? (And probably their catching situation this year as well.)

My concern with giving Francisco a roster spot is that he is weak defensively (from what I have heard).

If he's going to be a future starting caliber player, I'd prefer to have him starting everyday (either at 3b or LF) in AAA. Have him work on his defense.
    It's not as if his bat is so outstanding, that the Reds have to make room for him.

I'm guessing Renturia will help rest Rolen too. Not ideal, but better than having Cario as the only viable backup.

As far as leadoff goes, I think Phillips did well last year. I'd like to see him to continue to hit first or second. I like Stubbs lower in the lineup.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Best part of Phillips leading off is that he will be hitting behind the 7,8 and 9 hitters which limit his chances of hitting into double plays.

I would also really like to see Francisco and Alonso get at-bats every day in AAA so their development for next year is helped out.

I would also like to see how Janish can hit every day and would only spot start Renteria at short, third and second.

I also want to see Leake pitching every fifth day in Louisville. I like Arredondo and Burton for the last two spots in the pen and if Arredondo isn't healthy yet, I would go with Willis as a LOOGY or Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Best part of Phillips leading off is that he will be hitting behind the 7,8 and 9 hitters which limit his chances of hitting into double plays.
    Hanigan is a great OBPing 8th hitter. And for agruments sake Leake and Wood possess well above average bats for pitchers and Bailey and Arroyo can handle the stick as well. BP could have quite a few DP chances if he leads off.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'm still getting the same error. My work must have it blocked or something along those lines.
    Its the bloguin network. I've worked with it in the past. It's kind of junky.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

I'm agreeing with Redread about Francisco. My hope is that they let him be the everyday starting 3rd baseman at Louisville to sharpen up his defense and his plate discipline. I honestly believe that Renteria will be the primary backup for Rolen at 3B with Cairo seeing some time there also. I could envision Edgar getting 1-2 starts per week at SS and he or Miguel getting 1-2 starts per week at 3B. I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have some of Francisco's pop available in the lineup occasionally, but I think he and the team benefits long term for him to get a bunch of regular playing time at AAA.
    Better to be silent and thought a fool, than speak and be proven one.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

1 - Wood and Bailey will start. Leake should go to AAA to continue to develop as a starter...yes, he's good enough to be in the Majors, but we have plenty of bullpen depth and he needs to continue developing as a starter. Bouncing pitchers back and forth between the rotation and bullpen is not optimal for their development.

2 - Lewis and Stubbs should bat leadoff. Stubbs only when Lewis is not in the lineup. Phillips should remain in the #2 hole. Hopefully, when Lewis or Stubbs gets on ahead of him they can steal a few bags to avoid the DP and Phillips will see a few more fastballs. As the year progresses, one of them, (or both?) may develop into an ideal leadoff hitter.

3 - I think Arredondo and Willis will show enough to lock down the last couple bullpen slots. If either of them fails, Burton and Smith are certainly capable of stepping up. Ideally, 3 of them will really pitch lights out and allow the team to keep Aroldis Chapman in AAA on a starters schedule. I am resigned to the fact they'll keep the Cuban Missile in Cincy just for the gate draw though.

4 - Janish will start at SS. He's there for his defense. Jocketty built a team to support his young developing pitchers and Janish is the only one who doesn't represent a gaping hole at the number one defensive spot. Renteria will get plenty of playing time because Janish wears down and Rolen needs a lot of rest. Renteria's starting days are behind him, but he's a great guy to have fill in and/or come off the bench. With Votto, Phillips, Janish, Rolen, Hanigan, Lewis, Stubbs, Bruce, we may have the best regular defense in all of baseball. I think Dusty is really being honest when he says Janish has the job. If Bruce and Stubbs take another step up in developing their hitting, I don't think we'll be wanting for offense.

5 - Hopefully Alonso and Francisco can continue their development at AAA. Neither has really played so well that they demand a slot in The Show. They both need a ton of every day work on their defense, and they haven't run out of things to learn at the plate either.

Good set of questions!

Can I just say I am SOOOOO ready for baseball to start!

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Many in this thread (and in other threads on RZ) have mentioned that Renteria will be more than just a shortstop on this team. Of course he will spell Janish from time to time and will see a decent amount of starts at SS. However, he can also give Rolen a rest at 3B at times ... and can also play 2B the few times that BP needs a day off.

I had been so focused on the competition between Janish and Renteria to be the starting SS that I didn't even think about all the other things Renteria could do. Remember when the Reds signed Tony Fernandez to be the starting 3B after he had been nothing but a SS throughout his career? That worked out very well and Fernandez was excellent defensively. If Juan Francisco isn't quite ready for prime time, we could very well see Renteria get a lot of starts at 3B this year. I like that idea quite a bit because he can hold the fort down defensively (and won't kill the Reds offensively).

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Why couldn't you platoon two right-handed hitters? What would you call the Reds' catching situation last year? (And probably their catching situation this year as well.)
    To get technical about it, the catching situation or the shortstop situation is a job-share. A platoon is a specific type of job-share that's based on lefty/righty matchups.
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?