Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 25: Performances by Child Actors

Re: Top 25: Performances by Child Actors

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't care what age you are...hasn't everyone seen Judy Garland in the Wizard of Oz?
    I've actually known one person who has admitted to never having seen it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Ah.... so that's the reason I don't see some of the oldtime child actors on that list, like Shirley Temple, Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, and even Ron Howard.
    I think my list is weighted by the depth of the scripts in the modern era. Nothing against those fine young actors of the past, but I don't think they had as much to work with. Perhaps Rooney in Boys Town.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I think my list is weighted by the depth of the scripts in the modern era. Nothing against those fine young actors of the past, but I don't think they had as much to work with. Perhaps Rooney in Boys Town.

I think a lot of the old child performances were a bit too precious. I'd make exceptions for Judy Garland and Natalie Wood, but not many others.

Great list and great thread.

Besides the aforementioned Natalie Wood in Miracle on 34th St and Tatum O'Neil in Paper Moon, I'd add...

Christina Ricci in The Addams Family
    Drew Barrymore in ET
    AnnaSophia Robb in Bridge to Terabithia
    Freddie Highmore in Neverland and
    Lindsay Lohan in The Parent Trap remake.

It's really a shame what happened to Lindsay, she was one heck of an actress.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't care what age you are...hasn't everyone seen Judy Garland in the Wizard of Oz?
    It's not an issue of how many people have seen it; but a list of top performances by child actors.

Sava's list is a solid list, just kind of incomplete in the sense it's "generational", and leaves out a lot of solid performances of the past like....

Elizabeth Taylor in National Velvet
    Shirley Temple in Heidi
    Dickie Moore in Oliver Twist
    Jackie Cooper in Skippy or Treasure Island
    Mickey Rooney in Boystown

Patty Duke in The Miracle Worker, and Natalie Wood in Miracle On 34th Street have already been mentioned.

I think my list is weighted by the depth of the scripts in the modern era. Nothing against those fine young actors of the past, but I don't think they had as much to work with.
    Very respectfully, that's silly sava. A lot of those child actors of the past were teamed up with great actors and with solid scripts/story lines.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-15-2011 at 05:41 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Zoinks!

I would add Jodie Foster in The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane and/or Taxi Driver

Pretty good job by the following in "The Neverending Story". One of my fav movies as a kid.

Barret Oliver - Bastian
    Noah Hathaway - Atreyu

The kid in The Sixth Sense did a great job. I don't remember his name though.

Natalie Wood is great in Miracle on 34th Street. One of the best performances from a child actress.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I had never watched it all the way through until just a few years ago. When I was a little kid I wouldn't watch it all because of the wicked witch and the flying monkeys. They scared me too much. I mentioned to my wife one time a few years back that I had never watched it all. She was astonished and couple of nights later she pulled it off the shelf and we watched it all the way through. I just held her hand real tight when the wicked witch appeared.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

My favorite Elijah Wood part was in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn". He was supported by an outstanding cast of other actors.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I had never watched it all the way through until just a few years ago. When I was a little kid I wouldn't watch it all because of the wicked witch and the flying monkeys. They scared me too much. I mentioned to my wife one time a few years back that I had never watched it all. She was astonished and couple of nights later she pulled it off the shelf and we watched it all the way through. I just held her hand real tight when the wicked witch appeared.
    The first time I saw Wizard of Oz on a color TV (actually it may have been showing at a theater), I had no idea it started in Black & White and switched to color in Oz. I didn't get a color TV until I moved out of my parents' house and bought one at Sears for my apartment.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    When I was a little kid I wouldn't watch it all because of the wicked witch and the flying monkeys. They scared me too much.
    Margaret Hamilton, even without the wicked witch makeup, gave me nightmares for years.

And back then, studio executives even cut some of Margaret's most wicked scenes from the movie worrying that they would frighten children. Many years ago she reprised her role on an episode of Sesame Street. But it only ran that one time, was never rebroadcast again, because of parent's protest that it was scaring children and they were refusing to watch the show.

Compared to today's standards, and what kids are allowed to watch now, she was pretty tame. Blows me away when I saw parents allowing their children to go see the Halloween, Freddie, or Saw movies. The times they have a changed.

I also remember her Maxwell House commercials.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Margaret Hamilton, even without the wicked witch makeup, gave me nightmares for years.

And back then, studio executives even cut some of Margaret's most wicked scenes from the movie worrying that they would frighten children. Many years ago she reprised her role on an episode of Sesame Street. But it only ran that one time, was never rebroadcast again, because of parent's protest that it was scaring children and they were refusing to watch the show.

Compared to today's standards, and what kids are allowed to watch now, she was pretty tame. Blows me away when I saw parents allowing their children to go see the Halloween, Freddie, or Saw movies. The times they have a changed.

I also remember her Maxwell House commercials.

only other movie i remember seeing her in is the very good "people will talk" with cary grant, jeanne crain, walter slezak and hume cronyn..speaking of cary grant, there is a very good child performance in "the philadelphia story". virginia weidler playing katharine hepburn's young sister.
    teach tolerance.

I work with a woman who was raised by hippies in the country, she has never seen it.

I've seen it in a 2000 seat theater on a GIANT screen, most impressive.

BTW the list is empty without Jackie Cooper (IMO) and of course it's missing Jean-Pierre Léaud.

Brad Renfro was very good in The Client.

Turn Off Ads?