Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fransisco?

Fransisco?

Should Fansisco make the team out of spring training to provide a left handed option when Rolen needs rest?

The bench would have to look like this:

Renteria
    Cairo
    Hannigan
    Lewis
    Fransisco

That would mean Heisey is left out, or they start with a smaller bullpen in April.

I'd love to see him get a couple starts per week against right handed pitching to keep Rolen fresh all year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fransisco?

I think they need to have someone in mind to play quite a few games in 3rd if they want to see Rolen fresh come playoff time. Renteria/Cairo could be the answer I guess, but that is pretty mediocre on both the offense and defense side. If JuanF can get by with the glove he could get the chance, but last year he looked not ready for prime time to me. If they are willing to live with sub-par defense he could be a good option against RH starters.

Renteria didnt sign here to be a back up. Mark my word he will be the starter.

Too much of a liability in the field, they wouldn't have resigned Cairo if they though Francisco was ready to play 50 games at 3b.

He will be on the team opening day but only until they need a 5th man and long man.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    Too much of a liability in the field, they wouldn't have resigned Cairo if they though Francisco was ready to play 50 games at 3b.

He will be on the team opening day but only until they need a 5th man and long man.
    Agree. Francisco needs to find a position soon if he wants to play in the MLB. I don 't think he's a good enough hitter to DH in the AL. As a potential 3B he has a good bat, and in LF he might cut it, but at as a DH teams have better options for guys who can hit but have limited mobility. Francisco still hasn't proven he can lay off the breaking pitches and develop the patience he needs at the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    Agree. Francisco needs to find a position soon if he wants to play in the MLB. I don 't think he's a good enough hitter to DH in the AL. As a potential 3B he has a good bat, and in LF he might cut it, but at as a DH teams have better options for guys who can hit but have limited mobility. Francisco still hasn't proven he can lay off the breaking pitches and develop the patience he needs at the plate.
    This doesn't paint a very good picture for his future. I tend to agree, especially about the breaking pitch. I've said it before, reminds me of Wily Mo, but I genuinely hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post
    Renteria didnt sign here to be a back up. Mark my word he will be the starter.
    That really doesn't have anything to do with this at all, since if Renteria is the starter, Janish will still be taking up a bench spot so the problem with Fransisco is the same. It'd be nice if everything that had to do with Renteria didn't get the obligatory "He'll be a starter, Janish will ride the pine" argument started.

As for the topic on hand, I wouldn't mind Fransisco over Heisey and let Heisey get more regular at bats in Louisville to start the year. That would leave Fransisco's positions he can backup as 3b, LF, and 1b. You would assume if he makes the roster that his primary position would be spelling Rolen 2-3 times a week. He could also get the occasional start in LF and 1b. That would leave Lewis as the only viable backup for both the CF and RF positions, a little less defensive flexibility without Heisey. Obviously you would have to imagine that having Fransisco as the primary 3b backup would improve the position offensively, and maybe to start the season it might be slightly better.

I think that starting the season with Fransisco on the bench would probably be best, then when more flexibility is needed in the bullpen/outfield is needed send him down (or maybe send Cairo down, he might clear waivers early in the year).

Chris Heisey should be the starting Left Fielder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Chris Heisey should be the starting Left Fielder.
    Right...and Ken Griffey Jr. should still be our starting CF...

I do agree we need a backup for Rolen, but as far as Fransisco, well, I am glad we traded EdE and dont really want to go back to that.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Janish will start short.I believe Jocketty and Baker are telling the truth.I think Renteria will back up Rolen and hedge for Janish.Leake to AAA.The bullpen will be the stiffest competition I hope.Francisco and Alonso to AAA,both need work.Heisey last position player.

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    Janish will start short.I believe Jocketty and Baker are telling the truth.I think Renteria will back up Rolen and hedge for Janish.Leake to AAA.The bullpen will be the stiffest competition I hope.Francisco and Alonso to AAA,both need work.Heisey last position player.
    Barring injury or meltdown, I think this is right. The bottom line is that young players like Francisco and Alonso need regular playing time because they both are not MLB ready from a defensive standpoint and they need to find a position. Francisco either 3B or LF, and Alonso either moving to LF or staying at 1st and looking to be traded. If possible I prefer working with Francisco at 3B. His bat is only mediocre as a LF, but as a 3B he would be more of a force.

I would be happiest if we could trade Yonder and Fransisco for something this season.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I would be happiest if we could trade Yonder and Fransisco for something this season.
    I'm afraid we might see both these guys in our lineup in a couple years.I don't think we can afford Votto,and Rolen is declining.

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    I'm afraid we might see both these guys in our lineup in a couple years.I don't think we can afford Votto,and Rolen is declining.
    Hopefully we can keep Votto, but if not, have someone else in mind by then and deal with it downthe road. I think we need to start focusing on a 3'rd base now, and would be cool with throwing either or both of these guys towards that for the right deal.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?