Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pujols rejects offer

Pujols rejects offer

Just heard this on the late news: Cards have 48 hours to make a bigger offer. (per USA Today)

Very interesting, I must say. I wonder what NL Central teams he is talking to? How about it, Mr. Jockety?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pujols rejects offer

No player is worth 20 mil/yr, let alone 30 mil. If you look at the numbers there is no way to justify it. You can sign 5 guys making 6 mil/yr for that and they will give you way more production than any one player.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBaker View Post
    No link...just turn on ESPN news, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    No player is worth 20 mil/yr, let alone 30 mil. If you look at the numbers there is no way to justify it. You can sign 5 guys making 6 mil/yr for that and they will give you way more production than any one player.
    You got that right! The greedy Pujols wants to gut his team for all he can and don't give a damn if there are good players around him.

I cannot prove this, but I have heard repeatedly that the sticking point is him demanding a 10 year contract. 10 years to a no hustle, bellyaching prima donna that really may be 33 or 34 (a Dominican, see?) is beyond rediculas.

But I tell you what: If Walt gets the OK he will sign AP.

Edit: Imagine the best offence in the NL adding even a deminishing Pujols? The Reds will become a Central division dynasty, much like the Braves were at one time.
    Last edited by Magdal; 02-14-2011 at 12:15 AM.

This just in: Whitey Herzog says (on TV) that 10 years for AP is completely unreasonable and that there is no way he gets that from the stingy ownership.

He damn sure knows more about this stuff than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    You got that right! The greedy Pujols wants to gut his team for all he can and don't give a damn if there are good players around him.

I cannot prove this, but I have heard repeatedly that the sticking point is him demanding a 10 year contract. 10 years to a no hustle, bellyaching prima donna that really may be 33 or 34 (a Dominican, see?) is beyond rediculas.

But I tell you what: If Walt gets the OK he will sign AP.

Edit: Imagine the best offence in the NL adding even a deminishing Pujols? The Reds will become a Central division dynasty, much like the Braves were at one time.
    Why would the Reds be in the market for Pujols when they have Votto under control for 3 years? If they could find the money to sign Pujols for 10 years, they would just extend Votto through his prime years and save a ton of cash while doing so.

Also, what has Pujols "bellyached" about in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    Why would the Reds be in the market for Pujols when they have Votto under control for 3 years? If they could find the money to sign Pujols for 10 years, they would just extend Votto through his prime years and save a ton of cash while doing so.

Also, what has Pujols "bellyached" about in the past?
    He has embarrssed his teamates on the field, most notably the SS...it's no secret..he has embarrest Ochindo many times by running thru his stop signs at 3rd base...LaRussa has absolutely no control over this man.

A bouncing ball to 3rd and AP will just stop 30 feet from the 1st base bag....Tony makes excuses for him, but it's BULL! Run out grounders! Molina, APs little buddy does the same.

I find this very funny st louis is so screwed. lets see if they let him go they have nobody to replace him because there farm system is very weak and if they do sign him they will be so straped for cash that they will have to get rid of some of there best talent to keep him. if i'm not mistaken i think the reds had that same problem in 2000 and look how long it took them to recover. I'm loving this

Let the kids play!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
    I find this very funny st louis is so screwed. lets see if they let him go they have nobody to replace him because there farm system is very weak and if they do sign him they will be so straped for cash that they will have to get rid of some of there best talent to keep him. if i'm not mistaken i think the reds had that same problem in 2000 and look how long it took them to recover. I'm loving this
    St. Louis is screwed if they do or don't sign him. That's what makes this entertaining.

If AP is asking for the moon, sun, and stars.........they can't afford it. And it will hamper the teams payroll if they give in. And when he's 38, hitting .260 and knocking in 20 HR's, 90 RBI, instead of his .320, 40 HR, and 130 rbi........they will be one hurting organization.

Plus, The Cardinals already toasted their farm system.

All of this is a good reminder to appreciate Joey Votto while he's here and hopefully what the team accomplishes with him...........but DON'T FALL IN LOVE WITH HIM. He won't be here forever.

Watching them go down the tubes is going to be very enjoyable.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

A buddy of mine has season tickets in St. Louis. He says he is going to boo the heck out of Pujols every time he comes up to bat this season.

He is going to boo Pujols because he won't take below market value to re-sign?

How stupid. I hope it doesn't come to this with Votto. If Joey decides he wants to test the free agent market when it comes time, why would we, as fans, begrudge him that chance?

Now, if you are going to do it LeBron James style, THEN I'll boo the crap outta you.

yea, really makes no sense to boo the guy, he has helped give that organization everything for the past 8 years or so. If he leaves they should just appreciate what he did for the organization and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    A buddy of mine has season tickets in St. Louis. He says he is going to boo the heck out of Pujols every time he comes up to bat this season.
    Nothing new here. I already boo the heck out of Pujols every time he comes up to bat.

It's one thing to get paid a fair value, but asking for 30/mil for 10 years is like trying to bankrupt your franchise. There have been times in the past when great players took less than they could so their team could be competitive and sign quality players around them. If you really care at all about winning championships you would. Look at Tim Duncan and the Spurs, who signed a less than max contract at the height of his career, but he has 4 rings to show for it. Even though NBA players are considered money grubbing thugs by many fans, I can think of more NBA superstars who have passed up more money to help their teams than in NFL and MLB.

Turn Off Ads?