Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Jump Starter

Portable Jump Starter

I'd like to buy a portable jump starter. I don't need a top-of-the-line, cold-weather model, just something that can start a mid-sized sedan. Any recomendations?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Portable Jump Starter

I parked my Subaru on a hill for two years in college.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I parked my Subaru on a hill for two years in college.
    Kansas is flat.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I don't remember the brand, but I purchased one at Wal-mart a few years ago for around $50 that lasted a long time. Had an air pump too. Have to remember to charge it at least every month or two. It was quite handy.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Retired

I got one at Sams for $70 a few years ago, works well. Saved me twice.

If you can depend on the kindness of strangers, a cheap set of jumper cables will run you less than $10.00
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Legends Never Die

Cables or a new battery will be about just as cheap.
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Kansas is flat.
    I was concerned about that. You'll have to move, obviously.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Hitchhiking is always an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

My car (2005 Nissan Maxima) tends to drain batteries pretty quickly and unexpectedly. Rather than invest in a new battery every 2 years, I bought a trickle charger to help maintain my current battery. But I need a contingency plan for those sudden drains, like if I forget and roll down the power windows without actually starting the car.

I have jumper cables that work just fine. But my wife leaves before me in the mornings, and rather than bug a neighbor, it would be much faster for me to just use the jump starter. A portable jump starter also comes in handy when you're stuck in a crowded parking lot and don't want to have to wait for one of the drivers of the surrounding cars. Plus I've got a preschooler and a toddler, so waiting around with them in the car is a dicey proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I was concerned about that. You'll have to move, obviously.
    Or invest in a sail...

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Hitchhiking is always an option.
    Isn't there an old saying about how no one rides for free?

I didn't say it was a *good* option.

Have you had your car in to have the electrical system looked at? The occasional dead battery happens to everyone but it's really not something that you should be experiencing on a repeat basis, IMO.

Do you generally buy good batteries with really high amounts of cranking current available? Sometimes that can be the difference between a hard start and a click when you turn the key.

But even without that, something as simple as using your automatic windows without the car's alternator turning should not be leading to a dead battery. I'm no expert on automotive systems, but that just sounds extreme to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Yes, I had my electrical system checked back in October. No ongoing issues there. But a jumper box and a trickle charger should keep me from getting stuck unless/until a major electrical issue becomes apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Yes, I had my electrical system checked back in October. No ongoing issues there. But a jumper box and a trickle charger should keep me from getting stuck unless/until a major electrical issue becomes apparent.
    http://www.shopwiki.com/_Wagan-2017-...7132326&s=3885

Don't know if this would solve your problem but it looks pretty cool.
    My mom tends to forget to close her car door, so we got a regular charger for her and I think it cost about $50.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?