Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portable Jump Starter

Re: Portable Jump Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    http://www.shopwiki.com/_Wagan-2017-...7132326&s=3885

Don't know if this would solve your problem but it looks pretty cool.
    My mom tends to forget to close her car door, so we got a regular charger for her and I think it cost about $50.

Looks like some decent reviews on Amazon for the product.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    http://www.shopwiki.com/_Wagan-2017-...7132326&s=3885

Don't know if this would solve your problem but it looks pretty cool.
    My mom tends to forget to close her car door, so we got a regular charger for her and I think it cost about $50.
    It looks cool, but I rarely, if ever, park in the sun. Garage at home, parking garage at work.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Yes, I had my electrical system checked back in October. No ongoing issues there. But a jumper box and a trickle charger should keep me from getting stuck unless/until a major electrical issue becomes apparent.
    You've got electrical issues. I'd have my electrical system checked again. Is most of your driving stop and go? If so, your alternator may not be keeping your battery fully charged. Where did you have your electrical system checked and what, exactly, did they check for?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    You've got electrical issues. I'd have my electrical system checked again. Is most of your driving stop and go? If so, your alternator may not be keeping your battery fully charged. Where did you have your electrical system checked and what, exactly, did they check for?
    Yes, it's mostly stop and go. And I'm fairly certain it's related to the design of my car.

My engine died suddenly in October, and my trusted mechanic had to figure out what happened. I thought it was a fuel problem, or an issue with the ignition. Turns out it was a broken sensor module, but he had to run an engine diagnostic to find it.

Regardless, I'm still looking for a recommendation for a portable jump starter, in case I ever need one.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 02-20-2011 at 01:38 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Thought about trading cars?

A good mechanic is worth their weight in gold when it comes to working on the late model cars.

I can't really give any recommendations for the portable jump starters. The ones that I've considered cost more than I was willing to spend/didn't have all the options that I wanted and the cheaper ones had such mixed reviews that I passed them up. Just make sure you get one that can start a dead battery and not just a partially discharged one. Also check that the cranking amps on the starter are equal to or higher than the cold cranking amps that your car requires. Another thing to consider is the temperatures which they can be stored. Most are between 32 and 104 degrees, which means you can't just chuck them into the trunk and forget them. An air compressor would nice, but make sure it's got enough PSI to actually inflate a tire. Nothing worse than waiting while a compressor burns itself up trying to inflate a flat tire, except having a flat tire of course.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

This one has really good review on amazon and is fairly cheap. You'd get free shipping since it's over $25.

http://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-J...8167839&sr=1-1

Turn Off Ads?