Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Rock's return to WWE last night

Re: The Rock's return to WWE last night

Yeah I was disapointed overall in Mania, particularly by Daniel Bryan and Sheamus being bumped off the card in favor of time wasting segments and the brutally long Cole/Lawler match.

The whole Undertaker thing was weird. At first I thought it was an angle, then I thought it was real, then I didn't know what to think. If he's really in that bad of shape though he shouldn't be in the ring, let alone killing himself like that.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Anyone watch Wrestlemania last night and think we have seen the Taker's last match? If he's able to control his breathing and kay fabe show a concussion I applaud him and he deserves an award but he was turning purple at the end where he stumbled out of the ring and collapsed. Overall very disappointed in the show, whoever ordered the matches needs fired, whoever booked them needs fired. And the biggest crime of the night the winner of the Royal Rumble opening the show...
    I watched and thought it was just ok, the matches indeed did not capture much excitement for me except for Taker and HHH. Whoever thought that Cena vs The Miz should be the last match should be fired and can they get rid of the anonymous RAW GM stuff just plain stupid.

Worst match of the night Cole vs. Lawler!

Best- HHH vs Taker. Looked like both men were pretty badly injured at the end of the match.

Funniest moment- Destroying the Spanish announcing table once again. Those poor guys go through this every year.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I watched and thought it was just ok, the matches indeed did not capture much excitement for me except for Taker and HHH. Whoever thought that Cena vs The Miz should be the last match should be fired and can they get rid of the anonymous RAW GM stuff just plain stupid.

Worst match of the night Cole vs. Lawler!

Best- HHH vs Taker. Looked like both men were pretty badly injured at the end of the match.

Funniest moment- Destroying the Spanish announcing table once again. Those poor guys go through this every year.
    Its not a Mania until the Spanish announce table goes splat. I seem to be of a minority of the websites, I've looked at, in saying that Cena/Miz was pretty good. They Telegraphed how it was going to end, but I thought the match itself was pretty good. Maybe they will give some of the young blood a shot to build up something leading toward the post Mania workload. The draft should be interesting to see who goes where. Maybe a Christian to Raw and he steps up to Miz?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Just watched Raw tonite and they been building the Rock vs Cena up and now they will fight next year at WrestleMania??? Really? A year from now?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy4Life View Post
    Just watched Raw tonite and they been building the Rock vs Cena up and now they will fight next year at WrestleMania??? Really? A year from now?
    I saw that (got so bored with the NCAA game that I flipped over) -- I imagine it's to accomodate the fact that the Rock will be doing media for Fast Five over the next month or so, and that he'll be filiming other stuff, and probably won't be available to do RAW more than a handful of times over the course of the year. I just don't see the point of booking the match so soon. They could have let the Rock go do his Hollywood thing, come back around Jan / Feb of next year and rekindle the feud. As it stands, it'll put Cena's character on hold (you know he isn't getting the belt, and you know he isn't getting into anything long-term with anyone else).

And, bottom line, a feud with an "every so often" Rock is kinda lame. The fun of a Rock-anyone feud back in the day was the fact that the Rock was out there, every week, ripping on whoever he was going against.

Incidentally -- having watched RAW off and on since the Rock "came back" a few weeks ago -- I have to say that the product is just missing it's edge from back in the day. The overwhelming majority of the characters have no personality or mic skills. For me, at least, that was what kept me watching in high school and college; I couldn't have cared less about wrestling skill or wrestling talent. I wanted to see funny promos, big spots in matches, and fun storylines. Nobody has that "it" factor on the level that Rock, Austin, HHH, Mankind, Jericho etc. had back in the day. Hell, no one is "fun" on the level that the Hurricane was back in the day.

I have to imagine that Vince is pretty hands off these days, because I can't imagine him OK'ing this product. It's worse than bad -- it's just boring.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The best guy on the mic WWE had in the last 5 years was Mr. Kennedy, and he's in TNA now.

No edge at all anymore, but Sin Cara looks like he'll be fun to watch at least.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I have to imagine that Vince is pretty hands off these days, because I can't imagine him OK'ing this product. It's worse than bad -- it's just boring.

I would think he is still pretty hands on. However, he has a board of directors, a TV network(s), politicians and the media to answer to and appease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I would think he is still pretty hands on. However, he has a board of directors, a TV network(s), politicians and the media to answer to and appease.
    It's odd -- TV, as a whole, has gotten a lot edgier since the 90s (when "Jerry Springer" was considered 'out there'), but the WWE seems to have regressed.

There was an old bit they did back when I was watching where Stevie Richards was the leader (dressed in Mormon-mission attire) of a group called RTC - "Right To Censor" -- which was based on the PTC (parents television council) and their constant public war of words with Vince over the content of his product. They'd come out and put blankets over women who were scantily clad, or would stop promos that were getting "too edgy," and the crowd would have fun booing. I was thinking last night "man, the PTC ended up winning that fight."

I kind of guessed they would tone the product down while Linda McMahon was running for Congress, but I'm surprised it's still as tame as it is now.

I've seen Monday Night Raws better than that Wrestlemania. Biggest waste of 55 dollars I've ever spent.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I've seen Monday Night Raws better than that Wrestlemania. Biggest waste of 55 dollars I've ever spent.
    I used to buy PPVs every so often -- I'd do the odd WrestleMania or SummerSlam, etc. I remember, at least when I used to watch, that the RAW after a PPV seemed to be non-stop hyping of what you missed (trying to sell the rebroadcast). I didn't get any of that on RAW last night. It was like even they realized they had nothing to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It's odd -- TV, as a whole, has gotten a lot edgier since the 90s (when "Jerry Springer" was considered 'out there'), but the WWE seems to have regressed.

There was an old bit they did back when I was watching where Stevie Richards was the leader (dressed in Mormon-mission attire) of a group called RTC - "Right To Censor" -- which was based on the PTC (parents television council) and their constant public war of words with Vince over the content of his product. They'd come out and put blankets over women who were scantily clad, or would stop promos that were getting "too edgy," and the crowd would have fun booing. I was thinking last night "man, the PTC ended up winning that fight."

I kind of guessed they would tone the product down while Linda McMahon was running for Congress, but I'm surprised it's still as tame as it is now.
    I really don't watch it anymore but I keep my ear to the ground. Just in the past week, for example, Michael Cole tweeted a gay slur about Josh Matthews. He deleted it and apologized. This was less than 2 weeks after the WWE and GLADD announced they were teaming up to curb gay slurs in wrestling.

I have also heard that they are going to eliminate the word "wrestling" when talking about their product.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...restlemania-27

For better or for worse they are the face of pro wrestling. If a wrestler dies, they get blamed even if the wrestler never worked for them. I don't know if Vince is doing all this to facilitate Linda's future run at a Senate seat but this definitely isn't your older brother's WWF. But you can't say they are going broke from disinterest. The TV shows are getting OK ratings and Wrestlemania drew around 80K to the Georgia Dome.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The whole time he was talking I was waiting for Del Rio to interrupt him. Midway through I realized this was probably not a work and was then praying for Del Rio to come out so I wouldn't have to accept that Edge is really gone.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The whole time he was talking I was waiting for Del Rio to interrupt him. Midway through I realized this was probably not a work and was then praying for Del Rio to come out so I wouldn't have to accept that Edge is really gone.
    That sucks another star born of the Attitude era gone . Really getting to the last of the attitude era stars. Didn't Stone Cold have something similar with his neck injury deteriorating?

The writing staff is going to have its hands full, I am sure the original plan was to continue Edge v Del Rio for a few months with Del Rio eventually winning but would they just stick Christian in there? I wish Christian would get a shot with the big belt but Vince still has a thing for squashing guys (except Mysterio) who made their reputations elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Yeah I'm a huge fan of Christian and I really hope they finally give him a title run for all of his hard work.

Turn Off Ads?