Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Considering Relocating to the Queen City

Considering Relocating to the Queen City

My wife and I are having some serious discussions about moving from here in Central Ohio to Cincinnati. I was looking at available positions in my field (accounting) and the pay scale looks pretty good in jobs for which I am qualified.

As for our socioeconomic status, we are middle income, school age kids (1st - 9th grade, 6 students), and do not have savings, so it would be a find job, find house, move.

We both have always loved the area, but both are used to small town life. I don't want to be married to a "job comes first" type of work situation. I would expect to start somewhere in middle management in a large company, probably executive position like Finance Director or CFO in a small company. My wife has been stay at home homeschool mom, that might be changing though, but she would be looking at PT entry level position.

There's a lot more, but what I'm looking for is some overall feedback from the locals on the outlook for the tri-state area. We are open to anywhere in the Greater Cincy area and I would be more than happy to not work downtown.
    Last edited by traderumor; 07-02-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Considering Relocating to the Queen City

I love NKY. Great place to raise a family, school districts are excellent, housing is more than fairly priced.

I loved living in the Wyoming/Hartwell district. Very diverse and close enough to everywhere in the city.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I live Downtown and love it but realize it may not be everyone's cup of tea, especially if schools are a driving factor. As for the suburbs, I'd highly recommend Milford as a place with a nice small town atmosphere that gives easy access to the city. I drive there twice a week from Downtown for work and get there in about twenty minutes. Cedric's recommendation of Wyoming/Hartwell is also excellent.

I grew up in Wyoming...in terms of schools, you can't go wrong with that recommendation.

Well first things first, find the job you want then decide where to live after that (sounds like that's your plan anyways)

there are a ton of great neighborhoods and suburbs to call home in and around cincinnati, from northern Kentucky up to south dayton that can offer you quick and easy access to the amenities that you're looking for in Cincinnati. I grew up in a south Dayton suburb, lived in Northern Kentucky for a year, Mount lookout for several year, then finally back to the south dayton 'burbs. All were/have been great places to live. I work on the East side of Cincy (Milford) and would consider that a fine area to live as well. However so many things depend on what your looking for. If you want Private schools like Moeller, Elder, Country Day, etc... you can live about anywhere and find something comparable. If you're looking at public schooling, then you're better off in several suburban districts.

At the end of the day, I see so many similarities, advantages, disadvantages to so many different communities in this area that it would be impossible to direct you to one place. So much is going to depend on where you work, what kind of commute you prefer or are even willing to accept (getting in and out of the Cincinnati can be a pain from september thru the end of the school year, getting in/out of a handful of suburban employment centers (think Fields-Ertel, sp?) can be equally fustrating), bussing is more of an option if you live/work around downtown, much tougher outside of the city, unless your taking an express buss downtown.

good luck.

If you plan on sending your kids to public schools then pay particular attention to different school districts. Some are good and some aren't so good. With the opportunity to move where ever you wish then I would factor that pretty highly.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. It is one of those steps that will really test my faith.

My wife and kids (except one) do not like where we currently live.

I have a good job now, but it now involves a 40 minute commute 4 of 5 days, so we need to relocate, but I'm not sure now that this is where to plant our next roots.

We both feel so at home in the tri-state area, that we are just trying to sort out if it is the right thing to do.

It gets interesting because I have a low risk tolerance, while my wife is "let's make a decision and do it" type of person.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?