Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Rock's return to WWE last night

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Rock's return to WWE last night

YouTube - Raw: The Host of WrestleMania XXVII is revealed

C'mon, I can't be the only wrestling fan here who marked out like crazy. I'm a pretty jaded wrestling fan these days but I got goosebumps seeing the guy I watched as WWF Champion when I was 10 triumphantly return.

Also I'm not someone who particularly cares that WWE is rated PG (like the product was so great the last few years before the change) but it was nice to see Rock be himself and not a neutered or censored version.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Re: The Rock's return to WWE last night

That was fun.

I waaaaaay marked out. WWE doesn't have a single character worth half a crap right now. The Jarrett/Angle feud on TNA is way more interesting.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I saw #therock was trending on twitter last night and stumbled across this video. I was pretty big into the WWF when I was in high school back in the 1990s -- really stopped watching in college right around the time of the WCW takeover.

Watching this brought back a lot of fun memories. The old "It doesn't matter" bit was one of my favorites, and I don't think you can have grown up in the 90s and not love the whole "Turn it sideways and stick it straight up..." routine.

I haven't watched an episode of Raw in almost a decade -- but if the Rock is really back (and not just doing a brief thing to promote one movie in between filming another), I might make a point to start DVRing it.

Incidentally, the full clip is much, much better:
    YouTube - WWE Raw - 14/2/11 Part 7/7 (HD)
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 02-16-2011 at 12:38 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

A classic bit from one of the 90's greats. Gah what a reminder of the "glory days".
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    A classic bit from one of the 90's greats. Gah what a reminder of the "glory days".
    Sorry, but the glory days involved Hulk Hogan (pre-Hollywood), Andre the Giant, Roddy Piper, Brutus Beefcake, The Hart Foundation, The British Bulldogs, Junkyard Dog, Tito Santana, Randy Savage and more.

Back when it was the WWF and when WCW was the NWA, and they had the Four Horseman, Sting (pre-Crow), The Road Warriors, The Midnight Express, Nikita Koloff, Dusty Rhodes and Barry Windham.

Perhaps wrestling is like music, and many times it seems it was "the best" when we were growing up through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Sorry, but the glory days involved Hulk Hogan (pre-Hollywood), Andre the Giant, Roddy Piper, Brutus Beefcake, The Hart Foundation, The British Bulldogs, Junkyard Dog, Tito Santana, Randy Savage and more.

Back when it was the WWF and when WCW was the NWA, and they had the Four Horseman, Sting (pre-Crow), The Road Warriors, The Midnight Express, Nikita Koloff, Dusty Rhodes and Barry Windham.

Perhaps wrestling is like music, and many times it seems it was "the best" when we were growing up through it.
    +1, and you're forgetting Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka and of course the short lived GLOW

Zoinks!

Not to mention Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Mr. Wonderful, Ted Dibiase, George The Animal Steel and Koko B. Ware. I used to really enjoy it back then

Yup, but the resurgence in the 90s when WCW got Hogan, Hall, Nash and the beginnings of the nWo and then the WWF countering with DX, that was a great period as well.

The funny thing is the nWo became so big as "da bad guys" they changed wrestling for a time. The babyfaces wanted no part of fighting them because they'd get booed and then everyone and their sister wanted to join so WCW really screwed themselves by making nWo too big and thus lost product. That was a mistake Vince McMahon never would of made (he makes minor mistakes all the time - I'm looking at you Red Rooster, the gooker, and Doink the Clown) but when he gets something hot he rides it and uses it to gets others over.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Yup, but the resurgence in the 90s when WCW got Hogan, Hall, Nash and the beginnings of the nWo and then the WWF countering with DX, that was a great period as well.

The funny thing is the nWo became so big as "da bad guys" they changed wrestling for a time. The babyfaces wanted no part of fighting them because they'd get booed and then everyone and their sister wanted to join so WCW really screwed themselves by making nWo too big and thus lost product. That was a mistake Vince McMahon never would of made (he makes minor mistakes all the time - I'm looking at you Red Rooster, the gooker, and Doink the Clown) but when he gets something hot he rides it and uses it to gets others over.
    so true. At one point I think I was in the nWo.

or maybe the LWO, Latino World Order.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    so true. At one point I think I was in the nWo.

or maybe the LWO, Latino World Order.
    Eddy was a great heel. Miss him so much.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I remember many a Monday night in high school where I'd start off watching WCW Nitro at 8, and then start working the "PREV. CHANNEL" button when Raw started at 9. Usually WCW would do something crazy at 9 to try and keep people from switching to Raw.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I came in just after that. Hogan and Savage were still around, but then you also had The Ultimate Warrior, the beginnings of the Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, etc. It was a good time. Still, nothing tops the 90s, nobody tops The Rock, and no gimmick beats Austin vs. McMahon.

This is just classic...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcv...uck_shortfilms
    Last edited by kpresidente; 02-21-2011 at 10:21 AM.

I didn't see it live, as I hadn't been watching the past year or so, but when I heard the news and got to see the YouTube video of it, I admit I also geeked out about it.

Truthfully, I had got to the point where I never cared to see The Rock again. He was a shell of his former self, didn't seem interested in ever returning and kind of tried distancing himself from the industry. But seeing him last night, he seemed genuinely sincere, into it and was once again ripped and in the classic Rock form.

Based on how he looked Monday, I almost wish he'd do one last match. Some say he'd like to get in the ring with Cena, though I dislike Cena greatly.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The Rock is awesome and wrestling was great back then...

John Cena is seriously supposed to be a superstar? I listen to him talk and it's like he's doing a really, really bad Rock impression... wrestling sucks now. Maybe if Rock came back he could save it.

Turn Off Ads?