Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Widmer - 3rd time is a charm....

Legends Never Die

Ryan Widmer - 3rd time is a charm....

A jury found an Ohio man guilty on Tuesday of drowning his wife in a bathtub, the third time the man has been tried for the same alleged crime.

Ryan Widmer, 30, of Mason, Ohio, was convicted of killing his 24-year-old wife, Sarah, in 2008.

His first trial in 2009 ended in a guilty verdict, but the conviction was set aside due to juror misconduct, according to local media reports. The jury deadlocked in the second trial last year.

Widmer's lawyers argued that Sarah Widmer could have suffered from a medical problem that contributed to her death. Mason is near Cincinnati.

"This is not right," Ryan Widmer said after the jury verdict was announced. "I am innocent. I would never hurt my wife, never."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...e=domesticNews

Looks like Widmer finally got justice this time around.
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 3rd time is a charm....

Difference of opinions I guess.

I'm amazed by the public obsession with this case. I'll withhold my opinion about guilt or innocence as most folks are dead set in their camp. But surely there have to be lots of other people who responded the way my wife did to the news: "who cares?"

Legends Never Die

There are a lot of people that say that but it is hard for me to see anything different since my uncle was one of the detectives on the case since day 1.
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

Legends Never Die

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I'm amazed by the public obsession with this case. I'll withhold my opinion about guilt or innocence as most folks are dead set in their camp. But surely there have to be lots of other people who responded the way my wife did to the news: "who cares?"
    I mean it is one of the biggest cases to hit Warren county and Mason for a long time so that kind of stuff picks up a public caring.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban_Missile View Post
    I mean it is one of the biggest cases to hit Warren county and Mason for a long time so that kind of stuff picks up a public caring.
    True enough. I have a lot I could say on that matter but (and rightly so) it is outside the boundaries of this board.

I don't understand the folks who say there was reasonable doubt. Let's look at the possibilities:

Undisputably the cause of death was drowning.

1) He forcibly pushed her head underwater and her neck injuries are consistent with that as was her body being dry

2) This healthy, fit 24 yr old had the first seizure of her life and drowned

Now tell me, how does scenario #2 qualify as a "reasonable" explanation? There's nothing reasonable about it at all. In fact, it's far fetched. I'd say it's more likely that drug lords killed Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman

Legends Never Die

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't understand the folks who say there was reasonable doubt. Let's look at the possibilities:

Undisputably the cause of death was drowning.

1) He forcibly pushed her head underwater and her neck injuries are consistent with that as was her body being dry

2) This healthy, fit 24 yr old had the first seizure of her life and drowned

Now tell me, how does scenario #2 qualify as a "reasonable" explanation? There's nothing reasonable about it at all. In fact, it's far fetched. I'd say it's more likely that drug lords killed Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman
    This guy right here knows what he is talking about!

Coroner Uptegrove and Dr. Charles Jeffrey Lee, deputy coroner in Licking County, said that, in their opinion, bruising on Sarah Widmer’s neck could only be explained by compressive force or a blow to the neck. That was one major reason Uptegrove ruled her death a homicide; Lee agreed with that finding.

But both doctors testified they had less-extensive knowledge of drowning.
    Spitz testified that life-saving efforts caused the injuries he saw on Sarah Widmer. Those efforts included 45 minutes of vigorous chest compressions, manipulation of her head and neck during five failed attempts to insert a breathing tube and multiple punctures from medication needles.

Spitz saw no sign of defensive wounds that would indicate Sarah Widmer struggled against an attacker.

He said a seizure or heart problem could have preceded her drowning; no one disputes that the cause of her death was drowning.

While Coroner Uptegrove’s opinion says the drowning was forced, Spitz said, “a natural event leading up to the drowning is possible.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...WS01/302070027
    This is why. Too much doubt for me to send a man to jail for the rest of his life. That was the key for me in the whole Widmer trial, there is always the "what if" scenario that was ever present to me.

As for a healthy 24 year old having some kind of medical issue, how often is it we hear of college or high school basketball players dropping over dead because of a heart defect that was never known about.

To me there was a lot of emphasis placed upon heat of the moment decisions made. I replayed it in my mind what would happen if I walked in on my wife submerged in the bath tub what would I do. To be honest I would have no idea how the events would unfold. How many times in your life are you doing something in the heat of the moment and do something that you have no idea why you did that?

The thing is when thinking about Widmer I keep saying to my self "I don't know" and "what if". To that is enough not to potentially send an innocent man to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    This is why. Too much doubt for me to send a man to jail for the rest of his life. That was the key for me in the whole Widmer trial, there is always the "what if" scenario that was ever present to me.

As for a healthy 24 year old having some kind of medical issue, how often is it we hear of college or high school basketball players dropping over dead because of a heart defect that was never known about.
    Your explanation has all kinds of holes

1) The autopsy showed no heart defect so your analogy with basketball players is not valid. She had no heart defect.

2) Even if your heart defect theory had some relevance, how often do those kids die in a relaxing situation like a bathtub? It's usually during a practice or some kind of physical exertion

3) How often do you hear of a healthy 24 yr old just dropping dead due to a seizure with no prior history? I agree it's "possible" but that's not the bar here. Is it a reasonable possibility? No way.

Does that scant possibility really give you doubt?

Legends Never Die

To me there was a lot of emphasis placed upon heat of the moment decisions made. I replayed it in my mind what would happen if I walked in on my wife submerged in the bath tub what would I do. To be honest I would have no idea how the events would unfold. How many times in your life are you doing something in the heat of the moment and do something that you have no idea why you did that?
    The thing is when thinking about Widmer I keep saying to my self "I don't know" and "what if". To that is enough not to potentially send an innocent man to jail.

1. We have been programmed since kindergarten to call 911. How did he just find her like that and preform CPR for 45 mins before calling 911?
    2.The fact that he body was completely dry except for her hair and head how does that happen?
    3. If it wasn't for the jury doing an experiment the first time around he would have been convicted twice now.
    4. http://www.middletownjournal.com/new...ll-667748.html that alone could convict him he sounds so fake the story changes during this 911 call

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban_Missile View Post
    1. We have been programmed since kindergarten to call 911. How did he just find her like that and preform CPR for 45 mins before calling 911?
    2.The fact that he body was completely dry except for her hair and head how does that happen?
    3. If it wasn't for the jury doing an experiment the first time around he would have been convicted twice now.
    4. http://www.middletownjournal.com/new...ll-667748.html that alone could convict him he sounds so fake the story changes during this 911 call
    1. At my house my wife and I don't have a land line phone. Our cell phones are kept downstairs near the kitchen while our bedroom is upstairs. If I were to find my wife drowned in the bath tub it would be a while before I went down stairs to get the cell phone. I would be performing CPR on her and whatever I could before I would go down stairs to make the call.

If she had been drowned by Widmer why was the bathroom dry? Why wasn't there water everywhere. Where was the struggle?

3. It was juror misconduct. Whether or not you agree with it its the law. It appears if there are already allegations of juror misconduct in this latest trial.

4. I listened to the 911 call and really didn't find anything that damning.

Please remember to play nice in a thread like this. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Re: Ryan Widmer - 3rd time is a charm....

Just viewing it from afar, there seemed to be ample room for reasonable doubt. At least to my untrained eye.

But there have been 3 trials now and 34 of the 36 jurors have found him guilty. All I can think is that I wasn't in the courtroom and I didn't hear and see all of the evidence so those people must be seeing or hearing something I didn't from my tv/radio/internet news perch.

The other thing I've learned in life is that some people lie and will continue to lie in spite of everything. In this case, I just don't know who.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

If she had been drowned by Widmer why was the bathroom dry? Why wasn't there water everywhere. Where was the struggle?
    I don't think the dry bathroom helps Widmer's case. How did he perform CPR and keep the floor dry?

Turn Off Ads?